Afghan Damaged Landy

Max Headroom

Hello

Don't often come to this part of Britmodeller, but a couple of days ago I was at the Imperial War Museum in Duxford and found this in one of the hangars

Land Rover

Apparently the victim of a mortar attack in Bagram in 2007. There was a contemporary photo which showed that the windscreen was in place, albeit shattered and there was no tyre on the bonnet. The string on the number plate is also a later addition! Wing mirrors are also missing but the mounts remain. I’m guessing that’s Afghan crud in the tyre treads. As a general observation I like that some of the later exhibits there look as if they have literally been plucked from the front line.

Sobering to think how much ‘protection’ a few millimetres of pressed steel gives you.

Trevor

• Like 1

Nice find, there is an exhibit at the Australian War Memorial of a Land Rover 110 used be the SAS which hit a IED. It has been cleaned up when putting it on display but shows the damage that can be done. Fortunately the driver only received a minor leg wound when it hit the IED

3808124.JPG

• Like 2

Elsewhere there was another vehicle - one of those large American built things (not sure what it was) and the front had literally been blown off. Didn’t think to take a picture though.

Trevor

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Hello

Don't often come to this part of Britmodeller, but a couple of days ago I was at the Imperial War Museum in Duxford and found this in one of the hangars

Land Rover

As a general observation I like that some of the later exhibits there look as if they have literally been plucked from the front line.

That's a thing now. One of the Harriers displayed in I think the RAF museum is exactly as it was on the flight line the day it retired. Complete with dirt and boot marks from the ground crew. 

I think it's a good thing. 

• Like 1

On 23/08/2021 at 13:04, noelh said:

That's a thing now. One of the Harriers displayed in I think the RAF museum is exactly as it was on the flight line the day it retired. Complete with dirt and boot marks from the ground crew. 

I think it's a good thing. 

Yes not everything needs to be restored. Some museums should take note. If you have the space to display inside then just stabilising an asset I feel can in some cases be better than restoring it.  The Hendon Halifax and the Brooklands Wellington being 2 fine examples.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Julien said:

Yes not everything needs to be restored. Some museums should take note. If you have the space to display inside then just stabilising an asset I feel can in some cases be better than restoring it.  The Hendon Halifax and the Brooklands Wellington being 2 fine examples.

The Halifax I feel should be restored, if another known wreck is not more suitable for this, as we don't have an original intact in the UK, but leaving it as is is a fine way to display it.

19 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

The Halifax I feel should be restored, if another known wreck is not more suitable for this, as we don't have an original intact in the UK, but leaving it as is is a fine way to display it.

Hate to disappoint you, but it was shoved in the corner of one of the hangars in Duxford, no doubt evacuated from Lambeth during the last refreshment of the place.

If I recall, it’s little more than a walkthrough shell and unless the stripped out parts were stored when prepared for display then a lot of fabrication will be in order.

Trevor

On 8/28/2021 at 4:17 PM, Max Headroom said:

Hate to disappoint you, but it was shoved in the corner of one of the hangars in Duxford, no doubt evacuated from Lambeth during the last refreshment of the place.

If I recall, it’s little more than a walkthrough shell and unless the stripped out parts were stored when prepared for display then a lot of fabrication will be in order.

Trevor

I think Adam is talking about the Hendon Halifax Mk II,  recovered from a Norwegian lake. The IWM nose section is from a post war Mk VII. 

5 minutes ago, IanC said:

I think Adam is talking about the Hendon Halifax Mk II,  recovered from a Norwegian lake. The IWM nose section is from a post war Mk VII. 

The Hendon exhibit is sadly flaking away to nothing. FlyPast did an article several years ago and basically it’s now too far gone. It’s corrosion should have been halted at the time of recovery rather like the Do-17 which was sprinkled with lemon juice.

• Sad 1