1:32nd scale Albatros D.I

Hi all,
I've taken a short break to start the new tool Airfix 1:72nd scale Avro Vulcan B.Mk.2 for a friend who used to be a crew chief on No.44 Squadron at RAF Waddington.
I won't have a build thread for the Vulcan as there are many on-line video builds of it already and it's a relatively straight forward build.

However, as it's not due to be delivered until December, I've made a start on another WW1 aircraft.
This model from 'Roden' will represent the Albatros D.I of Ltn. Dieter Collin of Jasta 2 ’Boelcke’, flying from Berthincourt, September 1916.

spacer.png

During 1915 the German Fokker Eindecker fighters were dominant over the current allied aircraft of the time.
Eventually however, better designed fighters, such as the De-Havilland DH.2 of the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) and the French Nieuport fighters soon gained the advantage.
The German Idflieg (Inspectorate of Flying Troops) sought better designed fighters from German aircraft companies and protoypes from Halberstadt and Fokker were being test flown by the Spring of 1916.
However these designs, although better, did not surpass the allied aircraft in general performance.
The Albatros Flugzeugwerke Gmbh company, which had only produced two seat aircraft, created what was then considered to be a radical design for a fighter, which was designed by Robert Thelen.
Following the lead of the allied bi-plane fighters, particularly the French Nieuport’s, the prototype Albatros D.I featured a more powerful engine and a streamlined plywood skinned fuselage (semi-monocoque), which differed from it’s contemporaries, which had linen covered structure.
Performance during flight testing was enough for the Idflieg to place an initial order for 50 aircraft with serial numbers D.422/16 to D.471/16.
Although a second batch was ordered with serial numbers D.472/6 to D.521/16, these were never built as the improved Albatros D.II was already in production.
In total, seven units were formed and operated the Albatros D.I, the second unit being Jasta 2, formed at Laguincourt during August 1916 and commanded by Oberleutnant (later Hauptmann) Oswald Boelcke.
The introduction of this aircraft caused concern, especially as it proved superior to the RFC DH.2 fighters.
However, it’s operational career was short and by the end of 1916 the Albatros D.I was being replaced by the newer D.II.
Of the 50 aircraft built, some survived to the end of the war, being used as flight trainers.

This particular Albatros D.I was a pre-production version and had differences to the production aircraft.
An Anemometer was fitted to the forward, starboard interplane strut and the expansion tank for the engine cooling system was located at the front of the forward engine cylinder.
The propeller fitted was an ‘Axial’, rather than the more often fitted ‘Reschke’ type.
The serial number of this aircraft has been stated as being D384/16, but it seems this may not be the case.
Although the aircraft was probably delivered in the standard factory finish, it was later painted in an undefined green colour.
In addition, the white Crossfield of the Balken Cross markings on the upper wing were painted over, leaving the remaining Crossfields intact.

Initially this aircraft was flown by Diether Collin and his personal marking of a white ‘Co’, outlined in black, was added to the fuselage sides, to the rear of the Balken Cross.
Later this aircraft was flown by the Prussian Prince Friedrich Karl, when the markings of Collin were replaced with skull and cross bones on a black background marking.
These were applied to the fuselage sides and the propeller spinner.
On the 21st of March 1917, Prince Karl was wound during combat with DH.2 fighters of No.32 Squadron (RFC).
He made a forced lading between the lines but was shot in the spine as he attempted to reach the safety of his own lines and died of his wounds.
The aircraft was later captured and given the RFC identification of G-17.

On the 13th of August 1918, Diether Collin was severely wounded during combat with Sopwith Camels of No.204 Squadron (RAF) over Bailleul and later that day died of his wounds, aged 25.

Mike

Edited by Sandbagger
  • Like 6

Hi all,
This particular Albatros D.I was a pre-production version and had differences to the production aircraft.
An Anemometer was fitted to the forward, starboard interplane strut and the expansion tank for the engine cooling system was located at the front of the forward engine cylinder.
The propeller fitted was an ‘Axial’, rather than the more often fitted ‘Reschke’ type.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The production aircraft had a larger, triangular shaped expansion tank located along and above the engine and slightly to the left side (as supplied in the kit).
However, this particular aircraft was a pre-production build and had a conical coolant expansion tank located at the front of the forward engine cylinder.
This was one of possibly only two or three pre-production aircraft with this type of expansion tank.

On production aircraft, with the over engine expansion tanks, it can be seen that a pipe was connected to the top of the expansion tank and up over the leading edge of the upper wing.
My assumption is that this pipe was intended to release to atmosphere, any excess build up of pressure within the cooling system. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The following photograph is of this particular aircraft after it was recovered from the crash site of the then pilot, Prince Karl.
The photograph shows two pipes routed rearwards over the engine, from the coolant expansion tank.
The Albatros D.I did not have a flush mounted radiator fitted into the upper wing, but had instead 'Windhoff' radiators located on the fuselage sides.
My assumption is that the upper pipe was attached to the upper wing and vented to atmosphere any over pressurization in the cooling system.
The lower pipe was possibly routed down inside the fuselage a cockpit coolant temperature gauge.

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Hi all,
The engine is completed.
It's the basic kit engine with just a few enhancements, as most will be hidden by the the fuselage.
I've added:
Ignition lead support tubes (1.0 diameter brass tube).
Ignition leads at the spark plugs and magnetos (0.3 mm diameter lead wire).
Coolant expansion tank and pipe (modified WNW engine cylinder and 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube and flexible black tube).
Coolant supply pipe from water pump to cylinder integral gallery.
Carburettor control rods (blackened 0.4 mm Brass tube).
Air vale at rear of camshaft housing.
Fuel feed pipes to base of the carburettor.
Spare WNW data plate decals.

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Sandbagger
  • Like 8

Hi all,
I'm getting close to the fuselage being closed up.
As is usual, most of this won't be seen, but hey-ho.
I just have to add the flight control lines, engine controls, wiring at the starter magneto and switch and the gun trigger cables.

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,
The fuselage is now closed up with joints filled and sanded.
I've replaced the kit supplied machine guns with equivalent weapons from 'GasPatch'.
The guns and fuselage detail needed modification to fit the guns correctly.

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

Hi all,
I'm a bit slower than normal working this model as I'm working another unrelated model at the same time.
In order to sand and fill gaps after fitting the lower wing, some of the surface detail under the lower wing was also removed.
I thought this would be a good opportunity to try the 'Quinta Studios' 3D printed detail set for this aircraft.
To that end I've sanded off the surface details in preparation.
If the 'Quinta' parts don't work out I will revert to the photo-etch detail set I have from 'Part'.

In the meantime I've had to fill the pre-moulded recesses in the fuselage sides, above the lower wing roots.
These are intended for attaching the flying wires, but are not located correctly.
The flying wires for the Albatros D.I were routed through a cover panel on the upper surface of the lower wing root at the fuselage.
The wires passed through a recess below and into the fuselage attachment points.

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,
Slower than usual progress on the Albatros D.I (real life got in the way).
I've airbrushed the fuselage and upper surface of the elevator with a mix of Tamiya Cockpit Green (XF73) mixed with White (X2).
It's the closest I could get to the colour profile by Ronnie Barr.
The nose and forward decking panel is Tamiya Medium Sea Grey (XF83).
Next up is the two tone brown/green for the upper surface of the wings and tail plane, which will be covered with clear linen effect 'Aviattic decal..
The undersides will be light blue linen effect 'Aviattic decal.
It'll all be weathered in due course.

Mike

spacer.png

• Like 6

Hi all,
Upper surfaces camo painted.
Mixed ‘Tamiya’ J.A. Green (XF13) with White (X2) and Flat Brown (XF10) with White (X2) to an approximate ratio of 80/20.

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Sandbagger
  • Like 4

Hi all,
Some progress on the Albatros D.I.
The smoothed and grey primed surfaces were clear gloss coated with 'Alclad' Aqua Gloss 600.
The undersides of the wings and tail unit had the ‘Aviattic’ German blue linen (ATT32077) white backed decal applied.
The upper surfaces of the wings and tail unit had the ‘Aviattic’ clear Linen Weave effect (ATT32236) decal applied.
All surfaces were then airbrushed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC311) lacquer.
The 'Roden' kit supplied decals were as expected very thin and fragile and were easily broken when applied.
Also this particular aircraft had marking not available as decals.
Therefore I inkjet printed all of the decals required onto white decal paper then sealed them with two coats of acrylic sealer.

I decided to try out the 'Quinta Studios’ 3D printed Albatros D.I set (QD32076).
The model raised details were already sanded away before painting.
Due to the time it took for the set to arrive in the UK from Russia (via Poland), I had already closed up the fuselage.
Therefore I only used the Part 1 sheet which had the external details.
These were brush painted to match the surrounding colours on the model parts.
I did not used the two strips on the upper surface of the lower wing roots as they were way too thick.
Instead I used strips of painted photo-etch.

All surfaces were then airbrushed again with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC311) lacquer.
Weathering was applied using the 'Flory Models' Dark Dirt fine clay wash.
All surfaces were then finally airbrushed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC311) lacquer to seal it all.

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Sandbagger
  • Like 7

Hi all,
Just a small update.
I've added photo-etch mesh to the front and rear of the 'Windhoff' radiators.
The photo-etch was heated slightly to create a heated look and then given a dark wash.
I've also added the bottom drain cock, made from 'Taurus Models' engine fuel primer.
Finally I added the radiators upper and lower attachment plates to the fuselage,

Mike

spacer.png

• Like 6

Hi all,
The rudder, elevator and landing gear has now been fitted.
I've also pre-rigged the various flight and control wires, prior to fitting the upper wing.
The lines are 0.12 mm diameter mono-filament with blackened 0.5 mm diameter Brass tube.
The turnbuckles are from the 'GasPatch' 1:48th scale series.
There is a slight bow one of the rear landing gear struts, which I need to sort out, 

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Hi all,
During fitting of the upper wing both front struts of the fuselage cabane strut assembly snapped.
Looking at them it looks like they snapped cleanly and I think along stress points, possibly created during release from the moulds.
So rather than pin and glue them together, I decided to make replacement struts from Brass tube shaped around Brass rod.

Mike

Hi all,
Just a few more details to add for this particular aircraft.
Then it's on to the figure and display base.
I've added the bungee suspension cords and tail skid.

What's left to do:
Propeller and spinner.
Exhaust.
Windscreen.
Cooling system vent pipe.
External airspeed indicator.
Mirror and instrument.

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Hi all,
The pilot figure is finished - ‘Wings Cockpit Figures’ leaning pilot (LSK 06).
Painted with a mix of 'Tamiya', 'AK Interactive' and 'Citadel' paints.

I'm just waiting for the case and information plaque to arrive.
Once the display is done I'll post up completed photographs.

Thanks to everyone's encouraging comments, appreciated,

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2