JV44 Focke Wulf 190D-9

Knocked out a nice simple Tamiya kit in lockdown just to get something finished. It's in 1/72, with the plastic straight from the box and Eaglecals used for the markings, although I did not use the white stripe decals. Much easier to actually paint them on using 1mm kabuki tape. Eventually I'll do the other 3 to sit beside her.

b8AnBdM.jpg

Ws2VPTL.jpg

rQOw8ZM.jpg

jXjr4oT.jpg

nKwLIJJ.jpg

• Like 55

That's very well done - really looks the part. Excellent job!

On 22/08/2021 at 15:26, Brad said:

Eventually I'll do the other 3 to sit beside her.

3?

Jerry Crandall is quietly confident that he has identified the fifth JV44 machine in scrapyard pictures taken at Bad Aibling - Focke-Wulf 190D-11 'Red 2'. as here -

IMG_0004

Source: Crandall J. (2009) The Focke-Wulf 190D Vol 2. Eagle Editions Hamilton Mt. USA p102. (Photo intentionally presented with some distortion to discourage further public reproduction)

So now you could make the set!      :wink:

SD

• Like 1

On 22/08/2021 at 16:26, Brad said:

Knocked out a nice simple Tamiya kit in lockdown just to get something finished. It's in 1/72, with the plastic straight from the box and Eaglecals used for the markings, although I did not use the white stripe decals. Much easier to actually paint them on using 1mm kabuki tape. Eventually I'll do the other 3 to sit beside her.

Nice!

May I offer translation services?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

That's very well done - really looks the part. Excellent job!

3?

Jerry Crandall is quietly confident that he has identified the fifth JV44 machine in scrapyard pictures taken at Bad Aibling - Focke-Wulf 190D-11 'Red 2'. as here -

IMG_0004

Source: Crandall J. (2009) The Focke-Wulf 190D Vol 2. Eagle Editions Hamilton Mt. USA p102. (Photo intentionally presented with some distortion to discourage further public reproduction)

So now you could make the set!      :wink:

SD

Very interesting, I had seen the profile of 'red 2' and was wondering what that profile was based upon. It's certainly a D-11, but I'd say the picture is inconclusive. I always think of it like this; if it was part of JV44 with the red and white under surfaces, where are the other pictures of it? An aircraft like that would attract attention from soldiers with cameras, much as the others. Perhaps in time something else will turn up, but at the moment it's speculation. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brad said:

Very interesting, I had seen the profile of 'red 2' and was wondering what that profile was based upon. It's certainly a D-11, but I'd say the picture is inconclusive. I always think of it like this; if it was part of JV44 with the red and white under surfaces, where are the other pictures of it? An aircraft like that would attract attention from soldiers with cameras, much as the others. Perhaps in time something else will turn up, but at the moment it's speculation. 

I have to say that I have more than a little sympathy for your view - its a very murky picture.

On the other hand, the lack of cowl gun bulges can be made out (to my eye at least), so like you I feel that it's not a D-9. Jerry makes a reasonable case I feel, but I also concur with you that clearer pictures would be very helpful.

Food for thought...

Congratulations on your build of 'Red 3' - its very convincing

SD

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jochen Barett said:

Don't quite know where to post this

https://www.modellboard.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=4bd25fa67bf8be22448f1c83fe3265e9&topic=65096.0

but maybe it includes one or the other Papageienstaffel pic not seen before.

Those are good pics I had not seen some before. Although I think in the first part, one he identifies as Red 1 is actually Red 4, if you look at the damage just under the windscreen and compare it to the famous picture of '4' on the scrap heap, it looks identical. That and the upper gun cowl looks flat.

51 minutes ago, Brad said:

Those are good pics I had not seen some before. Although I think in the first part, one he identifies as Red 1 is actually Red 4, if you look at the damage just under the windscreen and compare it to the famous picture of '4' on the scrap heap, it looks identical. That and the upper gun cowl looks flat.

Pic 1: red 4, Siebel, red 1, Ju 88

Pic 3: Siebel, red 4, Ju 88 Ooops?

Pic 4: red 4 (with funny tail wheel), Siebel

"1" with a(nother?) funny tail wheel seen here:

http://www.luftarchiv.de/index.htm?/piloten/jv44.htm

and at falke1 http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2011/04/fw-190-doras-of-ivjg-3-and-jv-44.html next to the Siebel

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-q4IaasaxvIY/TZh6l9GQP9I/AAAAAAAACog/_81nJmqhU7U/s1600/dora2.jpg

in any case we have to use our own eyes and make our own little Excel sheet and compare all available sources and try to sort things

Tactical number (1, 2, 3, 4, 13, ...)

Type D9, ...

Werknummer

Slogan (or is it a motto?)

Pilot(s)

lower striping

upper camo (demarcation lines, colors, ...)

spinner color

canopy type

Balkenkreuze fuselage, upper and lower wing and style of Hakenkreuz

and in the end we may still have to be tolerant for some small margin of error - or build an easier and less debated subject, like a Maltese Spitfire "und wenn wir beide weinen!"