Tamiya 1:48 F-4B VMFA-531 - Moved from the Group Build due to lack of progress!

Greg B

My entry will be the Tamiya F-4B. I started it a couple of weeks ago and as of Saturday morning, had the cockpit detail painted awaiting a wash. That was done on Saturday afternoon (lockdown has been good for freeing up time!) and today,  up until this evening I've managed to assemble, paint, gloss and wash the gear bays and engine nozzles. All have now been flat coated and are drying, the drop tanks have been primed and seam checked, the seats have been assembled as discrete components with the initial colours sprayed.  I'll take some photos tomorrow, when they are all dry.

Intent at the moment is to do a VMFA-531 Grey Ghost Aircraft using the Impact Decals.  F-4B, 151472, VMFA-531/MAG-33, EC/8, MCAS El Toro, 1969. I have a few favourite USMC/ USN F-4 Sqn's, VFMA-531 being one of them. So many schemes to choose from! 

medium_wm_3576395.jpg

The tail I'm unsure as to whether its insignia blue or black. It seems to match the stars and bars. Will probably dig out some TER's for a mud moving loadout as well.

As for the kit, its sublime. I thought the ZM kit was excellent (last build before that was a KH Fitter, most things are good after that!), but Tamiya have taken it to another level again. My only gripe is the fin cap, they hobbled the choices with that one, however I have invested in some Flying Leathernecks fin caps and Quinta cockpit sets for later builds. This one will be OOB with the exception of the decals and a Kits World set for the MK.7 seat.

kw3d148006%20mb%20usaf%20usn.jpg

• Like 9

Nice!!!

From what I've seen the tail is blue, for you believe Academy and their colours for the VMFA-531 CAG bird, the colour is FS.15042.

You are more than welcome to the CAG bird decals if you want, I'm going to build mine as the gun-toting VMFA-122 Crusaders bird.

Are that's right! :doh:

Hmmm so those wee bumps/pins on the intakes must be for a future F-4N version! Is Tamiya thinking about releasing the lot! :yikes:  Going to need a bigger shelf!

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Are that's right! :doh:

Hmmm so those wee bumps/pins on the intakes must be for a future F-4N version! Is Tamiya thinking about releasing the lot! :yikes:  Going to need a bigger shelf!

Can anyone tell me what those 'shoulder pads' actually are that fit on the intakes of an 'N'? It's been puzzling me for days. (My little Hasegawa has them)

4 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Can anyone tell me what those 'shoulder pads' actually are that fit on the intakes of an 'N'? It's been puzzling me for days. (My little Hasegawa has them)

They're for the ECM system , ALQ-126 is the designation I think.

Work up to this point. The camera really makes any error pop out! Just like Mike, it looks better with the naked eye (through a welders mask).

Still a few things more to do in the cockpit, some gloss in dial faces and the radar screens etc. But should be able to button up soon. Intakes were glued, sanded and primed this evening along with the pylons. And some work has been done with the wing parts and tail.

F-4B-1.jpg

F-4B-2.jpg

F-4B-3.jpg

F-4B-4.jpg

F-4B-5.jpg

F-4B-6.jpg

F-4B-7.jpg

F-4B-8.jpg

F-4B-9.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That looks beaut!

The photo of the jetpipes makes my eyes do the concave/convex? dance.

Dam you!!!!! :rant:

Now mine are doing it as well!!!!

8 hours ago, martinBK said:

Nice. Beware the O2 bottle (next to the back cushion of the seat) needs to be cut (it's for USAF seat only).

Cheers, yep just checked the references and the USN seat had the bottle in the seat pack ;)

Hi Greg,

Nice start. Good to see the painted up cockpit; I will be doing the same. I am looking forward to seeing your kit instrument panel. I agree with Paul @Dansk the chipping effects are very well done. 

Ray

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Still working on it. In between a house move to deepest darkest NSW/VIC. 

Now moved out of the Group Build and into WIP. Paints have been with SMS thinned at least 50/50 with Mr Hobby Levelling Thinners and extra Tamiya Lacquer Retarder. Sprayed over a Mr Surface Gray and Black base that was marbeled with a white and black fine squiggle overspray in order to get some subtle depth and tone variation. Paint repair patches sprayed using the Light Gull Grey with very little Dark Ghost or Gull Grey added in to give a bit of variation. Next up is the patches on the underside.

Walkways and tail have been sprayed using masks I made on a silhouette cutter. First attempt using the machine and software and I'm happy with it. The rest of the marking masks are also prepped for spraying.

F-4B-1.jpg

F-4B-3.jpg

F-4B-4.jpg

F-4B-5.jpg

F-4B-6.jpg

F-4B-7.jpg

F-4B-8.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Greg B changed the title to Tamiya 1:48 F-4B VMFA-531 - Moved from the Group Build due to lack of progress!
  • 6 months later...

Final stages of the build now. All main and sub assemblies have been painted, weathered and finished.

• Paints - SMS and Alclad for the metals
  • Weathering - Abteilung oils and lighter fluid over a Mr Hobby gloss coat (thinned 3:1 levelling thinners to gloss with extra retarder added)
  • Matt - Alclad Klear Kote Flat thinned with lacquer/cellulose thinners (really pleased with how well this stuff goes on and how flat it is)
  • Decals:
    • Impact 1:48 VMF(AW)-531/VMFA-531 Grey Ghosts Part . Very thin, had a habit of breaking and the original tail markings wrinkled under the gloss coat :( made a set of masks with a silhouette cutter and 3 attempts later still not right (the small stars are about as fine as you can get and tricky to not get bleed under)
    • Furball Aero Design 48-077 USMC Phantoms came to the rescue. Different airframe but same markings :)

Just the final putting together to do now!

F-4B-01.jpg

F-4B-02.jpg

F-4B-03.jpg

F-4B-04.jpg

F-4B-05.jpg

F-4B-06.jpg

F-4B-07.jpg

F-4B-08.jpg

• Like 16