First Beaufort V

Hello all!

I'm posting this on the 80th anniversary of the first flight of a Beaufort Mk.V.  This was also the first airplane assembled on the site where I now work.  The plan had been to get some photos in the original factory (which is still standing but full of Boeing 787 flaps), but COVID had other ideas here in Melbourne.

Here are some details

Kit:  Airfix Beaufort Mk.I

Aftermarket:

- HPM Early Beaufort conversion set (minus the extended-chord vertical fin)

- Eduard Brassin wheels

- Eduard Photoetch set

- Eduard masking set

Paint:

- Topside 1:  Gunze H-302 (approx. RAAF Foliage Green)

- Topside 2:  10 parts Vallejo 71.323 to 1 part Vallejo 71.105 (approx. RAAF Earth Brown)

- Underside: 1 part Vallejo 77.701 to 1 part Gunze H-1 (aluminium dope)

- Interior: Tamiya XF-71 (cockpit green)

Decals:  From the Airfix kit other than T9540 serial (from the HPM set) and black arrow at the port wing root (from the spares box)

Other modifications:

- Relocated one aerial to the belly

- removed gun from rear turret (the first aircraft was unarmed at rollout)

- Drilled out bulbs in the wingtip lights

- Added EZ-line aerial wire

- Added 1940s aerial photo of Fishermens Bend Airfield to the navigator's table

And now, photos!  I posed a few RAF vehicles and figures around it for a few photos.  I wasn't able to take photos in the factory, but some of these are being featured in the local newsletter at work next week and I wanted them to still have an interesting background.  I know they're not prototypical! :)

51393577381_ee5245d0c7_b.jpg

51394586755_eababa57da_b.jpg

51392811132_de8b873775_b.jpg

51394307804_e40120cf56_b.jpg

51394586985_3d97b8fe8b_b.jpg

51394587060_2712e34929_b.jpg

51393839363_16d38e9003_b.jpg

51393577896_18c0dd3cff_b.jpg

Here's the real thing rolling out of the factory.  I tried to match the angles of the propellers.

3948391.JPG

Finally, here's the WIP for those interested.

Now, on to finishing the first Aussie Beaufighter!

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

That is a cracking piece of work @beggsy, and an attractive scheme.  I'm sitting on the Airfix kit, the HPM conversion and a few other goodies and I'm keen to get into this critical piece of our aviation heritage. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

I really like the overall diorama!

I guess it's sort of a diorama.  There's nothing permanent about it though, all the bits were just blue-tacked to my balcony because the lighting was better outside :)

17 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

That is a cracking piece of work @beggsy, and an attractive scheme.  I'm sitting on the Airfix kit, the HPM conversion and a few other goodies and I'm keen to get into this critical piece of our aviation heritage. 

Be forewarned:  The HPM set is not for the faint-hearted.  I had a few major fit issues, and the 3D printed parts are very brittle.  I ended up with a lot of damage around the edges of the gear bays.  Thankfully the gear doors kind of draw the eye away from the missing chunks.

Thanks for all your kind comments everyone!

Well done Beggsy, that really has turned out beautifully. You've done a lovely job of the conversion, paintwork and all the little but very important details. It tells the DAP Beaufort story well and I look forward to seeing the Beaufighter. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1