Help me decide my next WW2 aircraft!

Sturmovik

As the title says, I'm torn between these three models, and I'd like you guys to help me decide which kit I should buy.

I'll be posting the three images of the three kits as three different comments. The most voted comment will be the aircraft I'll be buying.

I encourage everyone to vote on one of the three options instead of leaving individual comments, so I can narrow down everyone's preferences and make the final decision easier.

Thanks!

Edited by Sturmovik

For me, the Bf110 is also the most indispensable component (of this trio) of any WWII airplane collection, unless the current set is made up of single-engined or single-seat aircraft only.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chuck1945 said:

I was waiting for the third option to appear just in case it would change my mind. It didn’t - Ju 87 all the way; perhaps even more iconic than the 110, at least in the earlier BoB days

That's true, the Stuka is the everlasting symbol of the Blitzkrieg in the Western Front since 1939. And also in the Mediterranean, Balkan and early stages of the Eastern Front.

Depends what’s (most) important to you: the prototype’s place in history, accuracy of the kit, buildability, …

For me the Bf 110 is early Hornby: the shape of the upper engine nacelles is wrong  (though correctable), other details are simpllified/missing altogether (eg DF loop).  Eduard kit infinitely better - and probably cheaper.

Me 262: Airfix should have done better with this more recent kit.  Outline accuracy okay but some parts are very heavily moulded (eg pitot head and aerials) and in my experience fit of parts,especially around the engine gondolas, is poor.  Cannon muzzles very shallow, worse than Hasegawa or IIRC Revell.

Ju 87; some flash to be trimmed away to sharpen up the details but otherwise I can’t think of anything too wrong with it.  Only kit of the B-1 variant on the market and holds up well against the 1/72 Stuka competition.

So, on grounds of historical impact, accuracy and buildability, the Ju 87 gets my vote.

• Like 1

Buy the one you want to make the most.  The only other important question is "Can I get a better kit than this one for this subject?"  If you still can't make up your mind then toss a coin.   Don't devolve blame for choice onto someone else.

• Like 2

My vote is for the Ju87, FWIW.

Is regarded as a nice kit, fuselage shape notwithstanding, the better of the trio you present, and also fits my BoB interest, no matter what scheme you decide to do in the end.

So does the Bf110, I know, but the Airfix kit has been panned everywhere with few redeeming qualities, and why would I want you to build something that is not the best possible?

Regarding the 262, (a) I don't care much for the aircraft (I should run for cover now...) and (b) is not an ultimate kit that you build without worries and be sure it will be the last one you want to have in your shelf.

I know that you asked just for a vote, but I couldn't resist... sorry.

Edited by Fukuryu
  • Like 1

Agree with the choice of the Ju87B as it's the best in terms of finesse and overall accuracy. The Bf110 has a major/minor error (depends upon your level of skill and willingness to correct) in that the upper engine nacelles incorrectly extend way too far back and over the flaps so need cutting back and filling/re-shaping. Yet another mysterious error by Airfix to add to the litany of other obvious errors on their more recent kits.

Regards

Colin.

Ps. if you want an accurate Bf110C/D then Eduard is the way to go although they are not currently available so you'll need to find a second hand example.

6 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

The 87 has won with five votes, whereas the 110 and 262 have 2 each.

I'll be getting the 87! 

Thanks guys!

Good choice, the Stuka is a nice kit and be my recommendation too. The 262 may have been the first, unfortunately those poor fit engines is probably a hassle you could do without... unless you want the challenge of seeing if you can complete it before throwing it against the wall :lol:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

The fit issues can't be that bad, do you have a photo of them?

No, I've managed to sand and file the parts so the fit looks acceptable... took me a fair amount of work. The top of the engines are suppose to be level with the surface of the wing. Without any alteration, the engine will sit below the wing with a noticeable step up. It's the sort of thing I expect from a short run East European kit not a brand such as Airfix.

• Like 1