RF-4EJ Final flight scheme (Now resurrected) ***** FINISHED****.

Jabba

13 hours ago, Jabba said:

A quick question for @Red Dot, in that I am looking for a paint for the wing tanks. The DXM instruction sheet states a mix of Mr Color C29 and C327. But after my problems with these paints earleier I am hoping for a more simpler solution, with Humbrol, Tamiya or the such like. If you can help I would be very grateful.

G'day Jabba,

The only info I have been able to find is that, that colour seems to be to a local standard with a number of j07-20h, but I haven't been able to find any other cross-reference or equivalent yet. The only thing I could suggest would be to visually match the colour of the other red/burgundy decals on the sheet to any particular paint you have access too.

Alternatively, you could do that jet with standard tanks, as I have photos of it like that.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Cheers,

Motty.

26 minutes ago, Motty said:

G'day Jabba,

The only info I have been able to find is that, that colour seems to be to a local standard with a number of j07-20h, but I haven't been able to find any other cross-reference or equivalent yet. The only thing I could suggest would be to visually match the colour of the other red/burgundy decals on the sheet to any particular paint you have access too.

Alternatively, you could do that jet with standard tanks, as I have photos of it like that.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Cheers,

Motty.

Thanks for your help it has helped greatly. I was thinking of trying to match the decal. As for the plain fuel tanks I just can't go with that as it is a special scheme and I do have another 2 RF-4Es to do in different colour schemes. So if I can get it sorted now it will be better in the long run.

Hi Jabba,

Good to see this one continuing.

To answer your question, from the Model Art Profile book, the upper surface of the tanks is dark green (FS34092), and the lower surface and pylon are the same light gray (FS36375) as the lower surface color of the aircraft.

FS34092 is the brighter of the two greens on the upper surface.

Hope this helps

Andy

7 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Hi Jabba,

To answer your question, from the Model Art Profile book, the upper surface of the tanks is dark green (FS34092), and the lower surface and pylon are the same light gray (FS36375) as the lower surface color of the aircraft.

Hope this helps

Andy

G'day Andy,

Jabba was after the Burgundy colour for the specially marked tanks like these 

Mottys-JASDF-RF-4E-Kai-Phantom-Hyakuri_2

Which were also carried by some of the RF-4EJs as depicted on the DXM sheet (just not while I was there ;)  ).

Cheers,

Motty.

• Like 1

Ahhh, sorry.

If J07-20H is the colour as Motty says, then that is definitely a Japanese paint specification number.

However, i couldn't find a match to model paints.

Maybe try a local shop with Mr Color

paints and see if anything looks good? There are a few on their paint chart, but in real life, who knows?

Andy

Thanks for the help Andy. I will take the decal sheet into Salisbury this weekend and see what I can find in the shops paint range.

Anyhow I have now got most of the major decals on. Sorry for the rubbish photos will try and do better tomorrow. The decals although designed for the Hasegawa kit fit this one perfectly. I did have to cut the nose stripe decals to get them as they are now. The decal sheet instructions call for you to apply some decals before other, but the nose stripes are meant to go just ahead of the intake warning decal which I applied first to get position right, but the stripe on the Port side now covers up a warning sign, which Iwill get from the kit decals. This is the first time that I have used this manufacturer and they work well with Micro set and sol. Now for the stencils!

resized_e6d0059c-e3f1-4a33-9512-caf6de6d

resized_1498f8ac-0a8b-49ce-9323-b96543d3

resized_ccb7ef25-6848-4202-adfe-69e93bda

resized_eb272bcb-efd8-449b-9c63-b62d3a2a

resized_02d61b39-f748-4996-8261-9c7a1a73

• Like 5

Now some more in focus pictures. I added the formation lights as the ones on the nose had some extra stencilling with them and thought that the rest had better come from the same stable rather than mixing and matching.

resized_248e6cfd-4a98-4b47-bb13-2e62420c

resized_4c426db7-1b45-4878-ac53-784468fa

• Like 6

Mr.Hobby options:  H-33 Russet

otherwise it's mixing a red & brown base with black to the colour on the sheet. 

I have one of the Hase RF-4Cs in this scheme still underway via slow-boat, and hadn't given it any thought before...

Thnks for your paint suggestions. I have got something, but I have not tried it out yet.

For the past 3 or 4 days I have been applying the stencils to the fuselage and upper wings. As mentioned earlier I am using the kit one as some of the decals are grouped together. What I have doen after the decal has been applied it to remove as much of the carrier film between these decals. It may not be a brilliant way of doing it, but it does save some time. I will still have to use some of the DXM decals fro mthe sheet that go over the roundel. Another good thing about the kit decals is that they are in oreder on the decal sheet and alos on the decal instructions. I do wish tha tother manufacturers would look into this it does make things a bit easier. In comparison I have taken a photo of the DXM stencil decals it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack the way that they are all over to sheet in no sort of order at all. On with the lower decals tonight and for a few days after.

resized_92bf98d1-07a5-45b8-a90d-342d0281

resized_16458be6-1b5d-4a67-a2e5-5eb7b37e

resized_d2fb2272-6a48-4028-83f0-562836f9

resized_4e13ac1b-ca87-4ff8-9bf6-aa57d88c

• Like 3

The majority of the stencils have been added to the undersides. The few that remain are for the U/C doors and some other doors. I have also added some paint to the fuel tanks. On the right is Humbrol "Wine" and on the left on Vallego "Marron Rojo". I know that these paints are not totally true to the fuselage band, but the Vallego one is close enough for me, especially as the fuel tanks are a bit away from the band. Any thoughts anyone?

resized_0b3b8d6a-bc42-4018-b424-bbda934c

resized_b3ecc05c-f4f6-4a3e-8a26-845d8daa

• Like 4

3 hours ago, pockets said:

Hi , was the paint you removed with Mr Hobby thinners Enamel or acrylic?

To be honest I do not know. I have looked at one of the pots now and it does not seem to say, but it may do in the very small writing which I can't read on the back of the pot. Why do you ask?

12 minutes ago, pockets said:

ok thanks for reply , am looking to remove some stubborn enamel and Mr Muscle seem to be not doing much and am looking for a safe on plastic alternative.

I did try Mr Muscle before I used what I did and like you it did nowt. The stuff that I used has not reacted with the paints that I have subsequently applied or the plastic, so I would say that it would could be good for a try.

I have applied some Klear to the fuel tanks and they will do for me, so it is on with the decals. I have also pan=inted the Jet Blast panels with Humbrol buffable Gunmetal. I have yet to give it a shine but will do so before adding a couple of decals that go towards this area.

resized_b2ca2cfc-d208-4876-ab24-6e2c34de

resized_857fb286-83b5-45fd-aa01-83bbf776

• Like 6