892 Sqn phantom 1/72

Tony G

Shame the kit hasn't really met expectations but it's looking very sharp.

And I can sympathize with your spillage accident...Extra thin + jumper sleeves are the single most destructive force in my modelling life 😬

1 minute ago, Alan P said:

Shame the kit hasn't really met expectations but it's looking very sharp.

And I can sympathize with your spillage accident...Extra thin + jumper sleeves are the single most destructive force in my modelling life 😬

Cheers for the praise

The goo has really got to my chest, so much so I have had to crack and make appointment with the Doc for Friday which is keeping away from making model progress.  On the plus side, made a stand for extra thin so it will not topple again.  Still got over a week left so a finish is still possible..

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Tony G said:

Cheers for the praise

The goo has really got to my chest, so much so I have had to crack and make appointment with the Doc for Friday which is keeping away from making model progress.  On the plus side, made a stand for extra thin so it will not topple again.  Still got over a week left so a finish is still possible..

Sorry to hear that, it's a reminder that some of these chemicals we use are pretty noxious 😔 I since made holders out of jam jars and towel padding for liquid cement and Zap CA kicker as the two most harmful substances I've knocked over! Hope the damage isn't too severe 😟

20 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Sorry to hear that, it's a reminder that some of these chemicals we use are pretty noxious 😔 I since made holders out of jam jars and towel padding for liquid cement and Zap CA kicker as the two most harmful substances I've knocked over! Hope the damage isn't too severe 😟

It is probably the result of damage already done in the years before H & S. The bathing in aviation fuel, the MEK, Trichloroethylene and who knows what other toxic substances that have left me with a weak chest susceptible to even a little exposure toxic substances.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Tony G said:

It is probably the result of damage already done in the years before H & S. The bathing in aviation fuel, the MEK, Trichloroethylene and who knows what other toxic substances that have left me with a weak chest susceptible to even a little exposure toxic substances.

Ah yes, in my line of work I used to wonder why all the old pilots I trained with had hearing aids. Ear defenders and plugs were standard for my entire flying career, obviously NIHL was just a feature of the job in the old days.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the Doc has allowed me back in my workshop at last, Chest still sounds like a saucepan full of ball bearings and I still cannot do the 100mtrs in under ten but on the mend.

I have just all those Airfix decals to put on and a little bit of weathering.

It will be a tight to get it all done by end of play on the 28th but I will give it a go.

No chance to do the flight deck catapult and jet blast defectors but I can do them in slow time

• Like 4

Just caught up with your posts Tony, keep up the good work! Sorry about your bad luck with the TET, nasty! These days I practically work wearing a 3M mask.

The Airfix FG.1 certainly has some odd flaws, not least the absence of crew (which is odd as Airfix usually include them) for a kit designed to be capable of making a catapult launch. Most odd.

Best wishes for the rest of the build.

• Thanks 1

Well health and time a beat me.

I thought I might be able to finish in two days, now the Doc let me back in my workshop. Had a go, but I started to make mistakes rushing to finish. After gluing the nose leg on back to front was the final straw.  Afixing all those decals in one day has sent my eyes into melt down and the canopies still need some work.  One or two days more, I might have cracked it.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7