892 Sqn phantom 1/72

Tony G

It is my intention to build a Phantom FG1 Royal Navy 892 Sqn in the last Hms Ark Royal commission livery, Hopefully as XV591 – 013 which was my aircraft until it went to the RAF 111 Sqn in 1978.

spacer.png

My aircraft leaving the Ark Royal for the final time

spacer.png

• Like 18

49 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Well I think you should have kept it. It would have been a great reference. 😁

The RAF played with it broke it and scraped it.  Typical RAF you let them play with your toys and they break them.

• Haha 4

Just now, DaveJL said:

Look forward to this! I've the same kit in the stash that I also plan to mark as and 892 machine.

No presure then. 

If my memory or any of the info I have accumilated can be of any assistance please ask.

all the best for your build.

4 minutes ago, Tony G said:

No presure then. 

If my memory or any of the info I have accumilated can be of any assistance please ask.

all the best for your build.

Thanks mate, won't be for this GB but sometime in the future :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, Anthony in NZ said:

Great to see you get your build up on the board mate!  You have me cheering from the sidelines buddy!

Cheers Anthony

Cheers Anthony

It will be a challenge to get anywhere near your dedication and attention to detail.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tony G said:

Cheers Anthony

It will be a challenge to get anywhere near your dedication and attention to detail.

LOL,  thanks, but I havent finished it yet....I need builds like yours to keep me inspired and motivated when I get stuck in all the tiny details!

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well, they say it never rain but it pours.

Due to unforeseen urgent events that must occupy a lot of my time for the next few weeks, I feel I will not have time to undertake the 1/48 892 Sqn Phantom as planned and give it the level of detail and finish I wanted to try and achieve, in the time available.

So, I have decided to change my build to an Airfix 1/72 Royal Navy toom instead but still in catapult configuration hopefully I will be able to complete that before the end date. I will not be able to include the fibre optics lighting the reheat or the level of cockpit detail as I intended for the larger model but that’s life.

I hope this is acceptable to the group build

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Well at last found the time to start this Airfix 1/72 kit.

I am extremely disappointed at the level of detail of this kit especially the intake ramps and intakes area very poor. The ridiculously raised rivet and screw heads. Due to time constraints, I will just have to go with these flaws. Still at least I have made a start on cockpit and centre body. Hopefully will be able to present something on time that represents a catapult launch.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Now we're talking!  Nice painting of the crew and I love the idea of a Cat launch.....brilliant start!

It’s just all a bit all frustrating.  All the work you did on your model correcting the intake louvers and intakes the Airfix 1/72 model does not even have any louvers or the vent holes in the intake ramps to modify.  Given the time available to the end of this group build, all I can do in the time is create a resemblance that looks the part without any true accuracy of the airframe.

Now during a trial fit of the cockpit the canopy will not fit over the pilots seat. So seat back out and pilot got his feet amputated and 1.5 mm shaved of seat base to fit.

How’s your build coming along, looking forward to your next update.

Edited by Tony G
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Tony G said:

It’s just all a bit all frustrating.  All the work you did on your model correcting the intake louvers and intakes the Airfix 1/72 model does not even have any louvers or the vent holes in the intake ramps to modify.  Given the time available to the end of this group build, all I can do in the time is create a resemblance that looks the part without any true accuracy of the airframe.

Now during a trial fit of the cockpit the canopy will not fit over the pilots seat. So seat back out and pilot got his feet amputated and 1.5 mm shaved of seat base to fit.

How’s your build coming along, looking forward to your next update.

Dont lose heart mate, and dont stress about deadlines.  Build your model and enjoy it.  I love these group builds and fantasize that I might actually finish something in time, but know I never can.  But build your model to how you like it.  I know what you mean about pilots!  I'm doing a commission build in the background of a 'late' RNZAF Skyhawk  'in flight' for a  chap and ne ended up losing a few mm off his feet and butt too, so he sat properly in the cockpit.  Canopy on you cant tell but looks right.

My Phantom is progressing (thanks for asking)  I am working on the lower wing section as the fit is beyond terrible.  Mostly because I think I am only using parts of the WH conversion and mostly Tamiya kit...I think I mentioned before if I were to do it again I would just convert the Tamiya Kit.  The lower Aux air doors needed modifying as although I moved them forward one bay, I also discovered they are actually longer than on a std Phantom, as my panel lines didnt match up to photos and drawings.  So I have done this and have used my Dremel extensively the past day or 2 and an getting close to a good fit now.  I hope to update soon.  Thanks for asking

Keep up the great work buddy

Cheers Anthony

• Like 2

On 10/28/2021 at 3:56 PM, Tony G said:

model correcting the intake louvers and intakes the Airfix 1/72 model does not even have any louvers or the vent holes in the intake ramps to modify.  Given the time available to the end of this group build, all I can do in the time is create a resemblance that looks the part without any true accuracy of the airframe.

The deadline isn't mandatory, its a guideline. Group builds are more about the fun and camaraderie. If you cant finish you can have the build thread moved to the aircraft work in progress section. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The deadline isn't mandatory, its a guideline. Group builds are more about the fun and camaraderie. If you cant finish you can have the build thread moved to the aircraft work in progress section. 

Cheers. But I am enjoying the build and I would like to finish on time. Just got to convince the wife / allocator of works and essential jobs that my model is the most important essential use of my time for the next couple of weeks, wish me luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 29/10/2021 at 20:05, Anthony in NZ said:

Dont lose heart mate, and dont stress about deadlines.  Build your model and enjoy it.  I love these group builds and fantasize that I might actually finish something in time, but know I never can.  But build your model to how you like it.  I know what you mean about pilots!  I'm doing a commission build in the background of a 'late' RNZAF Skyhawk  'in flight' for a  chap and ne ended up losing a few mm off his feet and butt too, so he sat properly in the cockpit.  Canopy on you cant tell but looks right.

My Phantom is progressing (thanks for asking)  I am working on the lower wing section as the fit is beyond terrible.  Mostly because I think I am only using parts of the WH conversion and mostly Tamiya kit...I think I mentioned before if I were to do it again I would just convert the Tamiya Kit.  The lower Aux air doors needed modifying as although I moved them forward one bay, I also discovered they are actually longer than on a std Phantom, as my panel lines didnt match up to photos and drawings.  So I have done this and have used my Dremel extensively the past day or 2 and an getting close to a good fit now.  I hope to update soon.  Thanks for asking

Keep up the great work buddy

Cheers Anthony

Hi Anthony

I am not losing heart in fact as a newbie I am enjoying the challenge of learning new skills and how to get round some of these kit flaws. Thank heavens for UTube and sites like this.

Good luck with the AUX Air Doors, yes they are longer and the RR engine phantoms the left  one has a heat shield on the rear third for the heat protection from the GT Starter.

Edited by Tony G
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Tony G said:

Cheers. But I am enjoying the build and I would like to finish on time. Just got to convince the wife / allocator of works and essential jobs that my model is the most important essential use of my time for the next couple of weeks, wish me luck.

I lucked out, my wife is happy to get me to my bench. She says it's the best way to get me out of her way. 

• Haha 3

Onwards and upwards.  Bit more progress made today, even if it did involve a lot of filling and sanding, before re-priming.  Also spent a lot of time mixing paint to get the grey / blue colour somewhere close to being correct.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

I am pushing on but I wish I had purchased another Fujimi 1/72 kit instead of the Airfix version and purchased the addons for flaps and extended nose leg. There is so much wrong or missing detail in this kit that I cannot rectify in the time available.  Poor show from Airfix.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Tony G changed the title to 892 Sqn phantom 1/72

Little bit further forwardand  one step back, even though on my list, remove right seam on drop tanks forgot and sprayed them up so sanded off and reprimed and repainted.  So I am up to given the model a coat of Finish to get all those decals on. 

Top tip if you knock over a bottle of extra thin cement put a mask on and ventilate the room before attmpting to clean up the mess.  Now strugling with breathing and sound like some whezing steam engine for last couple of days.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 9