Sherman Grizzly - where is it now?

Sabrejet

I wonder if anyone can help? Back in the mid/late 1990s my dad helped restore a Sherman Grizzly down in Dorset near Dorchester. As I recall it was owned by a doctor, possibly Irish (the last bit might well be my memory) and was ex-Portuguese Army. I've added photos below, with casting numbers when I can make them out. Also of note, I recall that it went from CDP tracks and 'Canadian' sprockets to rubber chevron tracks and 'American' sprockets so that it could be driven on the road. The photos show that process ongoing.

So does anyone know if it ever got finished and/or where it might be now? I also recall that the gun had not been deactivated and was potentially capable of being fired...

1d

1c

1b

1a

I might - and I stress might - have an answer.  The father of a colleague of mine is an architect or somesuch and was asked a while back - some time in the last couple of years or so IIRC - to look at some farm buildings in that area for conversion.  In one were 3 tanks and a Jeep.  My colleague identified the tanks as all "Shermans" and one had a "rounded hull".  Apparently they had belonged to the owner's husband who had sadly died and his widow was selling up.  I believe that the tanks were subsequently sold to overseas buyers.  Whether Bovington or other museums were ever aware of the tanks or were ever offered the tanks I do not know.  Bovington has a Grizzly in rough order which is currently on loan to the Austrian tank museum.

A bunch of Grizzlies were sold to Portugal post-WW2 and they ran them into the 1960s before selling them as surplus.  Very many "M4A1s" in preservation are in fact Grizzlies.  Chile actually operated some genuine 75mm M4A1s, all with the E9 suspension, into the 1970s.

• Like 1