Jump to content

HMS Resolution R class Battleship


beefy66
 Share

Recommended Posts

A small update busy this weekend helping my son and daughter in law move thinking I am getting to old for that mind.  :clif:

 

So first coat of sea base colour applied followed by my go top Making Waves for well making the waves.

 

Also the name plates arrived for this and some future projects.

 

 

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

Stay Safe

beefy

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, steve5 said:

looking good beefy , might need your help later on for a sea scape I'm thinking of trying in the future  , can I ask where you got those name plates from mate , they look good .

 

Cheers Steve will try and help where I can anytime, I use the same company as @robgizlu great little set up and customer service is excellent.

 

Name plate

http://www.nameitplates.co.uk/

 

Stay Safe

beefy

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

 

Cheers Steve will try and help where I can anytime, I use the same company as @robgizlu great little set up and customer service is excellent.

 

Name plate

http://www.nameitplates.co.uk/

 

Stay Safe

beefy

 

Thought I recognised those name plates :winkgrin:

Though they are a reminder just how many you have on the go.....................(just saying:whistle:)

 

The ship and scape are looking great Keith :thumbsup:

Rob

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2021 at 5:17 PM, robgizlu said:

Though they are a reminder just how many you have on the go.....................(just saying:whistle:)

 

 

Kettle pot black springs to mind.  :wink: but you are quite right you must have been speaking to missus B Rob

she gave me another warning when I was looking at the Atlantic Models site NO MORE UNTIL THEY ARE BUILT while she was pointing at a large pile of white boxes oh well guess it's socks again for Christmas presents at least my feet will be warm.  :shrug:

 

Been working on the very small 8 barrelled Pom Pom,s and a few of the other final deck fittings before making a start on the rest of the railings.

 

spacer.png

 

Stay Safe

beefy

  • Like 7
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2021 at 10:13 PM, robgizlu said:

And.........there's only the sadly neglected Centuriion outstanding:innocent:

 

You sure Rob what about that little submarine you started a while back.  :whistle:

 

I was not happy with the way the layer of making waves had dried it looked to white all over think I may have put it on a bit thick.  :shrug:

 

So I painted over using a hairy stick and some old Humbrol paints to use them up blue and green then added some of the other small deck stuff 

I also started on the deck rails above the barbettes so many bends and curves I had to split them down to small sections to make them easier to fit.  :idea:

 

Then I started on the wake on the opposite side working for a small time on rails and wake so as not to have the optivisor on for to long.  :hypnotised:

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

And a bit of a comparison of the 8 barrel Pom Pom kit part on the boat and the fitted Atlantic PE one.

spacer.png

 

Stay Safe

beefy

  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Wishing ALL a Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for 2022.  :partytime:

 

Small update deck crane is secured and the wakes are dried out just need some clean up work and a light dry brush

Need to do some work on the main fire directors the kit parts are all closed up but I want to use the PE parts seen open in this 1939 photo which I am trying to get the look of.

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

Stay Safe

beefy

 

 

  • Like 19
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Cheers gent's bit of a slow start for me to 2022 just getting back into work routine and getting over a bout of man flu and Booster knock out for three days during my holiday break.  🥶

 

So enough of my whining miss B takes no notice anyway.  :chair:

 

Been adding the main deck rails so many bends and curves around the mid-ship area still a few touch ups to be done. Also making a start on the rigging and did the range finders just need to fit but they will be last after the rigging using .001 Ushi thread for this one.  :hypnotised:

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

Also the big fat bloke left these so been reading more than building.

 

spacer.png

 

Stay Safe

beefy

  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Rich75 said:

I dont know how you can do that especially at this scale, really great work

 

That is another reason it takes me so long to build these things I have to keep given my old eye's a rest from the optivisor.  :hypnotised:

12 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Is the yamato a hint at a future build?

 

Not for Yamato but the lesser known sister Musashsi I have had the old Tamiya kit in the stash for a while now and plan to build up some extra detail parts from Veteran models and 3D printed parts before I make a start on her.

 

Stay Safe

beefy

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

 

Not for Yamato but the lesser known sister Musashsi

 

I shall look forward to that, I've never seen a model done of their original configuration with the extra secondary guns either side of the main superstructure before they enlarged the AA capacity, although i guess they were changed during the build process so there's not a lot of reason to really, 

 

Sam

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

 

I shall look forward to that, I've never seen a model done of their original configuration with the extra secondary guns either side of the main superstructure before they enlarged the AA capacity, although i guess they were changed during the build process so there's not a lot of reason to really, 

 

Sam

 

Both Yamato and Musashi were initially commissioned into service after build completion with 4 secondary turrets, both had the wing turrets deleted during in service refits.

There are kits available of both Yamato and Musashi in "as built" condition and final configuration, with options for intermediate fits available as well. There's also kits available of the other sister Shinano, completed as an aircraft carrier. Construction of the 4th sister started but didn't get very far.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Both Yamato and Musashi were initially commissioned into service after build completion with 4 secondary turrets, both had the wing turrets deleted during in service refits.

There are kits available of both Yamato and Musashi in "as built" condition and final configuration, with options for intermediate fits available as well. There's also kits available of the other sister Shinano, completed as an aircraft carrier. Construction of the 4th sister started but didn't get very far.

Thanks dave, I'd not realised they were commissioned with them, thought they'd gone during construction 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, beefy66 said:

That is another reason it takes me so long to build these things I have to keep given my old eye's a rest from the optivisor. 

🤯 looks like a fine skill to learn, I guess I'll find out on my next build I have to say it's the thing that I find most daunting, but you all seem to nail it. It always impresses me👍🏻

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Rich75 said:

looks like a fine skill to learn, I guess I'll find out on my next build I have to say it's the thing that I find most daunting, but you all seem to nail it. It always impresses me👍🏻

 

Its all in the training of the spider Sid does have his off days but behaves most of the time.  :spider:

 

Seriously though it is not as bad as you think but you might want to practice on an old kit first and get a good set of magnifier or optivisor and take your time as the saying goes.

Lots of you tube videos about and some good books like the new one from Mike McCabe at Starling models showing how they do it.

 

Stay Safe

beefy

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Thanks dave, I'd not realised they were commissioned with them, thought they'd gone during construction 

You can see a few decent pics of them on Yama's sea trials, like the one on its wikipedia page - first pic (theres also a colourised version on the internet somewhere or other that adds clarity). I prefer the look of them with the wing turrets present, nb lifted from the Mogami class when they were upgunned to 8in. I can also highly recommend Janusz Skulski's anatomy book on the class as an excellent reference point.

 

As others have said above, rigging is stupidly good on this Reso. I can only assume you've developed a mini optivisor to help your spider minion to get it looking this neat...

 

David

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well this weekends torture apart from watching the Toon was to make up the single deck Oerlikon's fiddly little things is the politest words to describe them.  :rage:

Also added more rigging and the aft boomsa few touch ups the ensign to hoist and add name plate and that should be it done in time for the weekend when I can get some daylight photos done.

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

Stay Safe

beefy

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...