HMS Resolution R class Battleship

On 8/26/2021 at 1:03 PM, bootneck said:

Hi Beefy,

Roger has asked me to post the images for you.

spacer.png

spacer.png

cheers,

Mike

I believe that’s Fort Mifflin in the background of the top picture. Behind the fort is land that is now occupied by Philadelphia Airport.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Mifflin

spacer.png

The pier on the right in the second picture is the current location of the USS John F Kennedy CV-67

the-john-f-kennedy.jpg

• Like 8

Yo Beefy, I'm back and catching up with the maritime section. It's always nice to see what can be done with these older kits and it's looking good so far. Can I take it that replacement barrels are not available in this scale and are you not tempted to drill out those port holes like our @robgizlu does...just asking.

Stuart

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

Yo Beefy, I'm back and catching up with the maritime section. It's always nice to see what can be done with these older kits and it's looking good so far. Can I take it that replacement barrels are not available in this scale and are you not tempted to drill out those port holes like our @robgizlu does...just asking.

Stuart

Hi Stuart great to have you back was it a holiday or work that kept you away sadly no replacement barrels and I already have drilled out the portholes although they could do with maybe a little more to give a better impression on the hull sides.

With the amidships armourment I was not happy with them the turret seamed to small so I have replaced with plastic tube and started to replace the barrels with brass tube and rob to give the tapered effect

Still a lot of work to do around this area to get it looking anywhere near close to the photos.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

was it a holiday or work that kept you away

Loss of mojo, other interests and jobs but I'm back now, so much that those 'big boys' have pressed the 'Buy Now' button for a 1/700 Renown & 2 1/700 Repulse kits plus PE kits plus barrels!

That amidships armourment looks a bit of a faff but a man of your calibre will sort it.

Stuart

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Courageous said:

Loss of mojo, other interests and jobs but I'm back now,

Know what you mean Stuart funny how the dark nights turn us in to nocturnal model builders.  🧛‍♂️

Small progress barrels replaced I think OK and also managed to patch up some of the mould problems with scrap PE fret.

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 16

On 9/30/2021 at 7:16 AM, Courageous said:

A bit of a numpty question but what are those three things on the hull in the above pic :shrug:?

Those things on the hull side are my interpretation of the drain pipes along each side of the hull there is a picture of them at the bottom of page one of this very thread from the RA Burt books.  :facepalm:.

Renown also looks like she had them on the torpedo bulges great reference material for anyone who can read them.  :whistle:.

Small up date on the build managed to get the breakwater built up.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 24

On 01/10/2021 at 18:15, beefy66 said:

spacer.png

That is interesting indeed, as most images I have found show port and midships capstans to be in line with each other, and the starboard one set slightly back; but all three anchor chutes in a line across the foc'sle and not angled like that.  Are the etch sets arranged that way?

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 5

I think the snag here is that the photo-etch part for the sheet anchor cable (the shortest part of the three, intended to be fitted as the aftermost of two on the starboard sidee) has been put on the port side.  If the two longer parts are fitted aft of the two for'd hawseholes,  their cableholders are abreast each other, and the sheet anchor's cableholder is slightly aft of the other two.

• Like 4

Well gent's @Chewbacca and @bootneck thanks for keeping me right @Our Ned has it spot on my mistake wrong way around the skids have now been removed and re positioned (Note to self read the instruction more  :banghead:)

Thanks for the help it is always appreciated having all your experience on this site.

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 10

In the photo which Mike posted, the cableholders for the bower anchor cable (the two for'd ones)are equally spaced either side of the centre line, and the sheet anchor one is well over to starboard; this was the normal configuration in most large RN ships.  Sorry to a pain!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 7:37 PM, Our Ned said:

In the photo which Mike posted, the cableholders for the bower anchor cable (the two for'd ones)are equally spaced either side of the centre line, and the sheet anchor one is well over to starboard; this was the normal configuration in most large RN ships.  Sorry to a pain!

Third time lucky adjusted all three again and that is it no more adjusting so onto primer and deck paint and some work on the bridge sections while waiting for the oil washes to dry use base coat of deck tan and then raw umber oils and sky grey thinned enamel paint. I wanted a dark finish just like the photo Mike posted of the forward anchor chain area .

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 9

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

Third time lucky adjusted all three again and that is it no more adjusting so onto primer and deck paint and some work on the bridge sections while waiting for the oil washes to dry use base coat of deck tan and then raw umber oils and sky grey thinned enamel paint. I wanted a dark finish just like the photo Mike posted of the forward anchor chain area .

In this time, I think that I burn the model!😉. But I congrats the persitence! Normaly I abandon the model that proves to be much hard! Yes!... I'm coward and lazy.

• Haha 1

If this isn't the proverbial silk purse from a sow's ear, then I'm a blue scaled, multi-tentacled alien from a red planet. Hang on a minute!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 10/6/2021 at 9:05 PM, adolfocaetanonetto said:

In this time, I think that I burn the model!

You might have a point there.  :facepalm:

On 10/8/2021 at 6:32 PM, Martian said:

If this isn't the proverbial silk purse from a sow's ear, then I'm a blue scaled, multi-tentacled alien from a red planet. Hang on a minute!

Not quite the names I have been calling it.  :whistle:

Slow progress hull painted Home fleet Grey and boat deck getting some attention.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 11

Gidday Beefy, you might be calling it names (hopefully beginning with an 'R') but she's coming along very well. That first photo in the post above certainly shows how compact and business-like the class were. Please carry on. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

Very cool build! You have your work cut out for you, but progress seems great. Nice to see these lesser-known Royal Navy BB's getting some love. And as the previous comments said, she is very a formidable looking ship.

• Like 2

Small update after a weekend away at the lakes doing some walking with missus b and the dog.

Built up the aircraft catapult for the aft turret then added the shield and supports then added more bridge railings.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 13

Sorry to be a pain (again), but the catapult trolley on RN battleships with the catapult on "X" turret faced the other way; the aircraft was launched over the back of the turret, rather than over the guns (to save the turret training a long way round to face into the relative wind) - see, for example, Royal Oak (https://i.redd.it/bg0499tpqsj51.png).

Edit - definitely being a pain - ignore the above.  Apologies

Edited by Our Ned
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Our Ned said:

the catapult trolley on RN battleships with the catapult on "X" turret faced the other way;

Hi Ned not quite sure we are seeing the same thing here.  :shrug:

Built as per instruction sheet with the triangle frame toward the aft of the turret same as your image. I know that the trolley would be at the other end of catapult for launch but when the aircraft was launched and then recovered the crane jib would load to the nearest point. So my story is aircraft out spotting and trolley awaiting loading while turret returned to centre point and I will be sticking to that theory thanks for the input though I need all the help I can get.  :book:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy