HMS Resolution R class Battleship

I have made a small start on this one no I have not given up on HMS York this build will be my Thursday night build York has to much stuff to be carrying back and forth to the model club meet every Thursday night so this will be my smaller carry about project and YES we actually build models at our club meets in the art centre workshops.

So after a couple of hours with friends building and chatting about our plastic projects I got this far. Next week I will be replacing the barrels on the 6 inch guns with brass rod drilling out the portholes and replacing the main deck bollards as they look over scale to me and prep work on the funnel to start attaching the PE grills.

So the kit the very old NOVO Royal Sovereign 1/500 scale 6 years older than me this kit 1960 donated to me by one of the very kind club members a true gentlemen is our Eddie he also gave me the Battle class I built a couple of years ago.

Why HMS Resolution because it was built at the Palmers Yard in Jarrow on the river Tyne same place as HMS York.  :book:

spacer.png 

The Photo Etch upgrade more instructions for this than the kit

spacer.png

just the one page

spacer.png

And some of my reference material RA Burt

spacer.png

not a lot in the box left

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 19

Gidday Beefy, this should be an interesting build. I'd like to add an "R" class to my fleet but I don't think I ever will, I don't know of any kits in 1/600. Modifying an Airfix  Warspite would be too difficult I think, due to the positions of the 6-inch guns.

I don't think these were very graceful ships but I think they're very purposeful-looking. Squat and powerful with that "Don't mess with me" look about them. I'm looking forward to seeing this come together. Roll on Thursday nights. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Roger Torgeson said:

beefy66  I have 6 photos of Royal Sovereign leaving the Philadelphia Navy Yard in September 1943. If your interested I can email them to you the photo sizes range from 0.98 MB to 3.05 MB.

Roger Torgeson

rtorgeson@ olypen.com

Very kind offer from you Rodger you could just post then here in the thread it would make some interesting talking points and it might help Guy see better. :whistle:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 1

You're off to a nice start here.

These are definitely under-represented in the modelling world which is a shame because they're quite attractive subjects really and with good stories.

I've got some good stuff in one of my books about Resolution's difficulties after being torpedoed. I'll work out which book it is later and report back. There are good diagrams etc in it though.

• Thanks 1

Small update removed the aft upper block and drilled out the funnel top and the port holes to give a bit more definition to them in close up for Guy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Need to do a lot of tidy up work around the barbette area amidships.

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 18

On 27/08/2021 at 07:54, stevehnz said:

good looking

I've always considered them the a-10s (the aptly nicknamed 'warthog') of the ship world: criminally under-rated, a tad slow, effective at what they did, but not the prettiest. Especially after bulges were added. Although the above photos must be from their 'good side' as she does look quite nice there.

Still, got to agree with the above, where are the models of them?

David

• Like 1

Their trouble ultimately was that they were too small and thus without enough deck space to modernise with effective dual purpose secondary battery and anti-aircraft weapons. Without any real vision for modernisation they were at the bottom of the pile for investment. They were basically still WWI ships entering WWII quite unlike most of the Queen Elizabeths or HMS Renown. Even HMS Hood for as little reconstruction as she got had a half-way respectable battery of High Angle 4" twin mounts and Octuple Pom-Poms.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well slow progress with any build at the minute rather busy around the beefy household getting stuff ready for our son's wedding on Friday  😱 fourth time of trying in the last 18 month.

Making up the rear platform ready for the PE plates also making up the main turrets and adding blast bags need shaping up and put some bulkhead in to stop the light bleed through the barbettes which will need some scrap PE adding to solve the mis-shaped bulkheads.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 15

On 8/21/2021 at 11:24 PM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Beefy, this should be an interesting build. I'd like to add an "R" class to my fleet but I don't think I ever will, I don't know of any kits in 1/600. Modifying an Airfix  Warspite would be too difficult I think, due to the positions of the 6-inch guns.

Regards, Jeff.

I think the easiest (well maybe not the easiest but certainly the “best”) way of attempting an “R” Class in 1:600 would be to use the Airfix Repulse Kit as a starting point.  

Back on topic and I’m still kicking myself I didn’t buy a bagged Russian issue of the Frog / Novo Kit at ScaleACT S,S,&B back in 2018.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well small update have removed the moulded on anchor chains and capstan and replaced with the PE plates and some plastic rod also added the gash chute and drainage pipes on the hull sides.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Following from this photo

spacer.png

And made up the lower rear platform as per the PE instruction.

spacer.png

Still a lot of tidy up to do but should start to see more progress now things are settling down no more weddings, birthdays to catch up on I need to rest my liver and legs not been dancing that much for nearly two years.  :yahoo:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 16