British Camouflage WWII

Geoff Williams

Like some of  you I have a copy of British Aviation Colours of Word War Two. I have a question. Its attached colour chart, top line, has Grey Green, is that the cockpit/internal colour used in many service aircraft during the conflict? 

Cheers

Geoff

• Like 1

Sometimes also referred to as 'interior grey/green' but it's one and the same colour.

If you plan on asking which particular paint brand is the best match then be prepared for a good worm can opening exercise as opinions vary and I'm pretty sure you will find a quite lengthy thread devoted to this subject although I can't locate it at the moment.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1

This is what I've got for Interior Grey-Green. The Citadel paint I read about on here, so I thought I'd try it out. There are no hobby shops it this town, only some gamer/Gundam type stores, so I'm limited to Tamiya and Citadel paint. The closest hobby shop is a 5-hour drive south.

51366010103_7009a52dfe_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

The closest hobby shop is a 5-hour drive south.

At least is still in your country! No such luck here... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hi

i have always been curious as to what paint colours that they may have at a diy store that would match ? 

i know they can mix/match colours if buying bigger cans of paint

but wonder if they do small sample size tins ?

or have small sample tins for sale 

cheers

jerry 

Geoff,

I've also used the Xtracolor Grey Green/X010 and it's a pretty good match to my eyes so that sounds good to me.

Really look forward to seeing your 'Tiffie' in due course as it is quite a kit and by all accounts builds really well too.

Regards

Colin.

16 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

i have always been curious as to what paint colours that they may have at a diy store that would match ? 

i know they can mix/match colours if buying bigger cans of paint

but wonder if they do small sample size tins ?

or have small sample tins for sale 

cheers

jerry 

Honestly, Jerry, that's probably something you wouldn't want to use on a small-scale model. The pigments in house and general-purpose paints aren't ground fine enough and the resulting paint would probably either cover up too much detail used un-thinned, or wouldn't cover well when thinned. For use on a 1:1 replica like those Spitfires built for the movie "Battle of Britain"? No worries. But on our stuff? I think it's a no-go.

OTOH, if you are just looking for a reference, Nick Millman's .pdf on Ministry of Aircraft Production colours is excellent, is readily available for purchase directly from him, and has spectrographic measurements in Munsell notation as well as suggested FS595 matches from original MAP reference chips.  He can be contacted at his blog www.aviationofjapan.com.

Edited by Rolls-Royce
  • Like 2

In my experience Xtracolor paints are generally fine even if some of them have a gloss finish which sort of puts me off when everything else is either matt or satin, however my go to enamels are always Colourcoats, when they are available, as they always seem to be spot on and are based upon some pretty extensive research.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1