Airfix Bentley

spacer.png

I've not really made a photo journey of the build but just taken random photos as I've been plodding along. I've taken inspiration from a guy on this forum, Nick Edwards, and while I probably won't get to the build quality of his and others builds I'm quite chuffed with how my first attempt in 40 + years has gone. I have some finishing and weathering to complete but I'm nearly there. I think more than anything I can't believe I managed to re-spoke the wheels and although there are mistakes, by the time I got to the last one I was getting pretty good at it.

• Like 9

Very nice work on the wheels.

How do you respoke them ? Homemade jig ? What did you use for the spokes ? How did you drill the holes ? From the inside or the outside of the rim ?

4 hours ago, Pascal said:

Very nice work on the wheels.

How do you respoke them ? Homemade jig ? What did you use for the spokes ? How did you drill the holes ? From the inside or the outside of the rim ?

I used "Florists" wire to re-spoke them and drilled them from the inside. I did make a jig but thought I knew better. I'll use a jig next time.

• Thanks 1

spacer.pngA few more pics. I must confess it seems to be a bit of a faf getting the pictures from Flickr to here. I'm probably doing something wrong but I'll get there in the end.  I had a bit of a struggle making the wooden handles on the filler caps and it took four attempts to make the bonnet screen. spacer.png

• Like 11

Very nice! It certainly is a pain respoking the wheels, but well worth the effort. They look great!

One of these days I'll get back to mine and finish it off, but it was always planned as an "in between others" build, rather than a main one.

Ian

You made it on then in the end Steve - welcome!

The Bentley is looking great, you must be well pleased with her. 

like the binding on the leaf springs, don’t think I’ve seen that before?

yes Flickr is undoubtedly a faf, you’re not doing it wrong, but you do get used to it in the end, honest. 

Nick