1/48 Hasegawa 38th TRS RF-4C

coneheadff

very nice!!

That was a lucky break to have the correct pylons and other bits you need included, good old Hasegawa. My DB doesn't mention those extra bits on sprue "N", but do now! :D

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't have much time lately, but at least managed to get the Black Box cockpit to fit.

As much as I have liked other sets, that one is different. The details are pretty wishy-washy and completely wrong at some places.

Well, should have checked before I started it. 

It will definitely now be installed, but I might use some "help"...

- original part 

spacer.png

- modification started...

spacer.png

- and this is how it should look at the end

spacer.png

That's the Quinta set for the ZM F-4C kit, but the dimensions are pretty close to the BB set.

Hopefully more progress next week. I'm on duty till Friday morning and have my mother-in-law with us till Tuesday...Yeaaaaaah 🤪

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Oh boy...after more than a month I finally managed to make a progress and have something to post.

I worked on the kit regularly, but always only for a couple of minutes. 

First of all...I hate that Black Box cockpit!! The details are very vague and wrong at many places. I gave up trying to paint small details as they were badly casted and at the end only did some dry brush and some paint spots to add some live to the cockpit. 

After glueing the instrument panel to the resin part I had to use some putty. To get everything smooth I removed the reinforcement stripes on top of the coaming. I replaced them at the end with thin stripes of tape. Unfortunately it's tough to see at the pictures, but hopefully after closing the fuselage we can see them better.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The aft IP is also a hybrid of the BB resin part, Quinta decal and instrument housings/harnesses that I added.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Unfortunately I recognised that I used a way to dark grey, but it was way to late to change it. Oh well...

The floor was first painted zinc chromate green followed by a layer of Ammo Mig chipping fluid and cockpit grey at the end. A couple of stripes with a wet brush helped achieve the effect I wanted. At the end not much will be visible, but it was worth a try.

You can see the bad casting and the rude details, but that's it. I'm not touching it anymore. 

The oxygen hoses are made out of guitar wires with the microphone cables from thin copper wire, small tape stripes and stretched sprue.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Boy, do I hate those details and detail shots 🤪...

spacer.png

So, that's it for now. Hope I can close the fuselage in next couple of days and maybe finish the model it in time...hopefully.

Alex

• Like 8

• 5 weeks later...

Finally an update from me and probably the last one during the GB 😢

Time is running out and I'm far from finishing.

But here's where I am right now...

spacer.png

It took a while to get there. 

I removed the ailerons, removed the wrong ram air inlet at the vertical stabilizer, replaced the IFR probe door...completely wrong shape...and added and replaced panel lines that were either lost.

Well, the tail is done...the nose area and the intakes are still to be finished 🤦🏻‍♂️

Here some more pictures...

This is the ram air inlet...just have to add the fin at the base. I left it off cause I didn't want to knock it off during the remainder of the build. I removed the provided inlet, replaced the base with a piece of sheet, ground out the inlet and added louvers from sheet.

spacer.png

Next you can see the spine and the IFR door which I replaced using a  scribbing template I made from sheet. I didn't want to go overboard with adding or trying to replace panel lines/fasteners as it would have absolutely killed my mojo. 

spacer.png

This is what Hasegawa delivers...

spacer.png

Next was the tail. The brake chute housing.

This is what Hase gives you...a shocked Phantom

spacer.png

And this is how it should look like...

A happy Phantom 👻 

spacer.png

I filled the hole with Miliput and ground out the "mouth". The RWR antennas are made out of punched out sheet and black CA glue.

Tail almost finished...pitot probe is still missing...and primer on...

spacer.png

And finally one of the wings. Had to make a scribbing template for one of the big panels as all Hase Phantoms are including the bump on top of the wing. I think that was part of the stronger Navy Phantoms LDG.

And that's it.

Sad I can't finish the kit in time, but it was a great pleasure following the great builds during the GB and it really helped me climbing out of my modeling hole 😀

Now I have to find out who can help me move the build to the WIP forum.

Stay safe!

Alex 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

That is some seriously good work Alex, excellent attention to detail and work done to a very high standard.

Whether you continue your build here or as a WIP let me know as I really want to see how she turns out.

Thanks a lot Craig!! I will definitely finish her...just don't know how long it will take.

As soon as the intakes are installed and the nose is done I will post more pictures. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaveJL said:

That's coming along a treat Alex! You could ask the mods either to pop it over to the KUTA GB (my F-14 will end up there) or as @arfa1983 stated, keep going on here!

Thanks a lot Dave! The KUTA GB might really be a good place to finish her...and another one or two kits 😁

• Like 1