Eduard Hurricane Mk.I Dual Combo - base kit Arma Hobby

JackG

• JackG changed the title to Eduard Hurricane Mk.I Dual Combo - base kit Arma Hobby

Initially I was very excited by this announcement because of marking choice, but then recalled Eduard recently switched to new decal technology witch really puts me off. 

I will rather buy Arma boxing and cover desired markings from available decal sheets printed in normal technology.

2 hours ago, Wulfman said:

What’s the problem with the new technology ?

Wulfman

Plus, really surprising in this day and age, I didn't know that one could resort to magic and employ a new technology witch. Do they cast a good spell?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Wulfman said:

What’s the problem with the new technology ?

Wulfman

The problem is well explained in many videos available on the internet. As they say that one picture speaks more than 1000 words, you could only imagine how much does one video speak :)

If you avoid manufacturer's propaganda videos and look only at neutral and unbiased reviews, you will have the problem very well explained, much better than I could do here.

Edited by MarkoZG

6 hours ago, jan_cz said:

The schemes included in the Eduard leaflet are still "in progress", so we can expect some changes or additions...

they need to not do this then, N2359

StevensLW-portrait1-opt.jpg

as they are not providing the 5 spoke wheels, as seen above,  and AFAIK the L**** and N**** lack the rectangular access hatch on the starboard side. 

I though it was a pretty uninspiring selection of marking options,   you could do some Battle Of France options for starters, as there are some documented early P**** serial planes, eg 73 Sq with rudder stripes..... and there are more if you go digging a bit.    Or some from later use, in 2nd line duties. 

Still... Hurricanes, eh, still not a Spitfire......    If any from Eduard read this and want some suggestions, get in touch. 

• Like 8

On 23/08/2021 at 21:42, MarkoZG said:

The problem is well explained in many videos available on the internet. As they say that one picture speaks more than 1000 words, you could only imagine how much does one video speak :)

If you avoid manufacturer's propaganda videos and look only at neutral and unbiased reviews, you will have the problem very well explained, much better than I could do here.

In my experience, the only "problem" is that many modellers are trying to apply them using the same techniques which work for e.g. Cartograph decals (and which served them very well for many years). If you accept Eduard decals use a different technology and change your technique, they work very well (at least for me). Case in point: since the carrier film is thinner, applying stencils using tweezers can result in stencil folding onto itself. Just slide it in place. Also use enough water (or setting solution) so you can position the decal precisely.

So if I buy an Eduard kit with these "new technology" transfers, do they come with instructions on how to use them?  If I have to search the internet for videos, and watch enough of them to determine just which ones are both helpful and unbiased, that's a lot longer out of my life than it takes to read a few thousand words.  If the one important difference is that they are thinner and can fold over on themselves, this is not exactly new, is it?  Nor a particularly good idea.

So just what is involved?  Being grown up, I can cope with words not just images.  This thread is making it sound like more of the self-important tosh  and over-engineering that discourages me from buying Eduard kits.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

So if I buy an Eduard kit with these "new technology" transfers, do they come with instructions on how to use them?  If I have to search the internet for videos, and watch enough of them to determine just which ones are both helpful and unbiased, that's a lot longer out of my life than it takes to read a few thousand words.  If the one important difference is that they are thinner and can fold over on themselves, this is not exactly new, is it?  Nor a particularly good idea.

So just what is involved?  Being grown up, I can cope with words not just images.  This thread is making it sound like more of the self-important tosh  and over-engineering that discourages me from buying Eduard kits.

I found that if you treat them like "normal" decals they work fine.  They settle in with a dollop of micro-set/sol. They are thin enough not to worry about taking the carrier film off.  I tried it on one set of roundels and damaged the surface, put a spare (eduard) roundel over the top, left the film on, and you can not tell.

Tim

• Like 4

11 hours ago, ptarmigan said:

Also use enough water (or setting solution) so you can position the decal precisely.

I'd suggest something that breaks the surface tension a bit, as the average water bubble is still too 'big' for some of the smaller stencil bits. Even when using a small pointed brush. 

On 25/08/2021 at 11:24, Graham Boak said:

If the one important difference is that they are thinner and can fold over on themselves, this is not exactly new, is it?  Nor a particularly good idea. So just what is involved?

Just treat them normally, as mentioned above, while taking into account that the carrier film is thinner. (Actually thinner carrier film is what many modellers requested. I do not care either way, but we all have our preferences.)

I guess lots of misunderstanding concerning the "new" decals comes from the fact that many modellers feel they have to/should remove the carrier film. Some may feel this way because there is more carrier film around tiny stencils than they are used to. The last Eduard model I did was a 1:144 P-47D Razorback, where many decals are quite tiny, and I didn't find this to be a problem.