A reunion, and a thank you to Britmodeller.

Ravnos

Hi everyone! I've got a wee Britmodeller story to tell.

Apologies if there's a better section of the forum for this but it felt like it fit here the best as its not strictly modeling related. (Mods please feel free to move it if there's a better place for this)

A few months ago I made my first post on the forums in the WW2 aircraft discussion section, looking for some help with reference for a long term project I've started, to build a model of the B-24 that my Grandfather flew during the war (I'll put a link to the original thread at the end of the post). The response I got was overwhelming with members offering to share their knowledge and pointing me in the right direction to get copies of the ORB's and other documents that were immensely useful. (I've stuck around on the forums ever since although I've been hiding out in the group build section for the most part so far :P) Over the course of the conversation I mentioned my Grandfathers name Robert Douglas Methven.

A few weeks later I received a PM out of the blue through the forums from @CookieMonsterRAF who wasn't a member but had come across my post and recognized the name, he reached out to let me know that he had found something on a militaria website that I might be interested in, A dress uniform jacket which very clearly had the name R.D. Methven written on the label inside the jacket. (the listing is no longer on the website or I would add a picture here) I showed my Mother the picture who confirmed that it was very definitely his hand writing. So we bought it. And it arrived a few weeks ago.

BD0No5vhBjh7louOAsOcziJQTCK2UmPn_E7SfOQP

It's in stunning condition like it was hardly worn. Tailored in 1942 which would have been shortly after he returned from Iceland and we think to reflect his new rank at the time. We have no idea where it's been for the last 80 years or what happened to it after the war but its obviously been looked after.

I picked up a stand for it and my Mother dropped off his hat which she's had since he died. The hat was made by the same tailor and although it doesn't have a date it appears to be made from the same fabric so we think it was made at the same time to go with the jacket

Here it is re-united with the hat. And a picture of him with his Liberator crew wearing both the hat and the jacket (middle of the front row). At least I'm 99% confidant that its the same uniform as the picture, it was taken a few months after the jacket was made.

usREbeLP1aMuzgCgBxX0EPqWxZcFON18nG0XucazfNENcHCdwtv9x70TcOIo_e2L3QOIbfXAmYKTV09Y

Eventually I want to set up a display with the uniform and the completed Liberator model when its ready.

I wanted to thank the Britmodeller community as a whole for being an amazing bunch of people, both welcoming and keen to help out with research and for being the catalyst for this and allowing us to bring the jacket back into the family, and in particular I wanted to thank @CookieMonsterRAF for reaching out to me, without him I would never have come across it. 

Link to my original post:

Edited by Ravnos
fixing typo's
  • Like 35

Well isn't that an awesome reunion story?  Incredible! ^_^ The uniform looks a bit like my dad's uniform he wore in the 50s as an ambulance driver during his national service, which still languishes in his wardrobe at their house.  Nowhere near the story behind yours, but still kind of interesting to me at least :) It's a lovely display and tribute, and the addition of a model will bring it to a really cool conclusion :yes:

• Like 1

Great story with a brilliant outcome

Have to say this story has made my week. In a few paragraphs it summarises what you lot out there are all about. 🍻 to 🍪 monster each and every BM’er

• Like 2