Allow me to introduce myself...

Monty32

Hi,

I've been lurking a bit recently as I've decided to take the plunge into modelling, not done any since I was a teenager so a bit of a steep learning curve ahead. Decided to join as I'm sure I will have some questions going forward but also this looks to be a very friendly site with a lot of very expert modellers of which if I do nothing else I enjoy looking at and learning from their work.

I do have an interest in history ranging from the Napoleonic era, through the US Civil War and the Native American Plains wars through to WWII. WWII being my initial focus for modelling, for now.

What I have already learned from when I was a teenage modeller is that everything seems to have improved in terms of models and the equipment. Thanks to this site I've been able to navigate a bit around the bewildering amount of different options there are out there for just getting started and some of the basics which I just didn't know before. Such as thinning the paint etc. 🙂

Best regards

Phil

• Like 4

Welcome, @Monty32

You seem keen to learn and progress, which is very much what I like to see. 🙂 The potential for that is one of the things which make this hobby so fulfilling -- and, I admit, sometimes frustrating. If you ever want to pick my brains because I've written something which makes perfect sense to me but not to anyone else, you're welcome to tag me or PM me.

• Like 1

Welcome Phil

Yes, there's so much more stuff around and many new techniques, and it can be bewildering, but the basics are still the same - like, as you say, thinning paint properly. 

Most important, just enjoy what you do. And show us. We'll tell you if it's rubbish.. 😄

Best wishes,

Ian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monty32 said:

not done any since I was a teenager

Well, if your teenage years were when Keith Moon was throwing TV sets out of hotel windows, then you'll find that things have moved on quite a bit, modelling wise. But ask questions in the relevant threads, and there's usually somebody who will be willing to help. Welcome aboard.

John.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Well, if your teenage years were when Keith Moon was throwing TV sets out of hotel windows, then you'll find that things have moved on quite a bit, modelling wise. But ask questions in the relevant threads, and there's usually somebody who will be willing to help. Welcome aboard.

John.

Not quite a teenager, I was only 10 years old when Keith Moon shuffled off this mortal coil. Not sure Moonie would have been suited to modelling 🙂

Thanks for the welcome!!

Phil

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Monty32 said:

Not quite a teenager, I was only 10 years old when Keith Moon shuffled off this mortal coil. Not sure Moonie would have been suited to modelling 🙂

Thanks for the welcome!!

Phil

Jings, young man, welcome to the forum. You'll find no Substitute here for friendly and good advice, nor indeed good fun.

in one way sadly, I was around for a long time before keith Moon died, had the privilege and the pleasure of seeing him playing in the Who more than a few times beween 1968 and 1971, even meeting him once - and emerging to tell the tale ! 

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

Jings, young man, welcome to the forum. You'll find no Substitute here for friendly and good advice, nor indeed good fun.

in one way sadly, I was around for a long time before keith Moon died, had the privilege and the pleasure of seeing him playing in the Who more than a few times beween 1968 and 1971, even meeting him once - and emerging to tell the tale ! 

Wow, so you saw the mighty Who in their prime!! I saw them much later on with Zak Starkey on the drums but The Ox was still with us then. They put on a great show but nothing would compare to seeing them with Keith Moon on his game.

Phil, welcome. Your choice of forum is excellent, the generosity and knowledge here never fails to impress me. As you say, all things modelling have changed so much and like you I returned to the hobby many years after I built my first Airfix aeroplane, they came in plastic bags then. Now the moulding is, on the whole, excellent and so many kits to choose from and as for the amount of tools etc, sometimes staggers belief. Are you going to concentrate on one type of kit, or wander around ? I look forward to seeing your results.

Jon

1 hour ago, Monty32 said:

Wow, so you saw the mighty Who in their prime!! I saw them much later on with Zak Starkey on the drums but The Ox was still with us then. They put on a great show but nothing would compare to seeing them with Keith Moon on his game.

I was indeed lucky enough to see them in their prime; between 1968 when I saw them at the marquee club, and May 1971, when I saw them at Liverpool University. And I've seen the three modern day incarnations of the Who, with Kenney Jones/Simon Phillips, then Zak, and of course John Entwistle and  then Pino/Jon Buttons on bass.

I've enjoyed every "vwersion" of the Who I've seen and bought albums by.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faraway said:

Phil, welcome. Your choice of forum is excellent, the generosity and knowledge here never fails to impress me. As you say, all things modelling have changed so much and like you I returned to the hobby many years after I built my first Airfix aeroplane, they came in plastic bags then. Now the moulding is, on the whole, excellent and so many kits to choose from and as for the amount of tools etc, sometimes staggers belief. Are you going to concentrate on one type of kit, or wander around ? I look forward to seeing your results.

Jon

I’m starting very basic with the Airfix Spitfire starter set and taking my time with it. If there was one thing I can remember from modelling before it was I was far too impatient!! After that I will probably take on another 1/72 plane but go for a standard kit and then maybe move up a scale. Ambition at the moment is to build a Tiger Tank in 1/35 but I want to get some practice in first.

I do look at some of the work on here and on YouTube builds and think how on earth do they do that? But I know it’s down to plenty of practice and learning from mistakes.

Thanks for the welcome,

Phil

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...