Merkava kit choice ,help needed

bugle

I am no "tank" expert. I am just building subjects i like the look of. I want to build a Merkava now. not worried about varient because all look cool.

My LHS has 3 kits,  Academy MKiv LIC , Hobby boss MKiv and a Meng early 3D.

out of the 3 which is the better kit fit wise? Had a couple of other 35th Academy stuff and was not impressed,might of been old? Hobby boss i have had several good kits a couple not so good. same with meng,a few crackers and cuople so so, the plastiv varies greatly with meng,the dark plastic is awful.

can any one give advice on the 3 kits please? thanks

1 hour ago, bugle said:

Had a couple of other 35th Academy stuff and was not impressed

Me neither! One of my most hated manufacturers. But then, I'm all about detail and fidelity and I don't care much about complexity. I can appreciate that the simpler (and cheaper) manufacturers still have a place in the market.

Anyway, my entirely personal preference from your options would be Meng, hands down. That's not to knock HB, but I don't know much about its Merkavas. They seem to be overlooked in favour of the well-rated Meng and Takom options.

In any case, there seems to be some compromise here or there; often, it's a lack of trickier details like anti-slip or ball-and-chain armour.

Edited by Ade H

No, Tamiya offer is Vintage kit from early ´80. Don´t buy.  

I think a most attractive choice is Meng Mk. IV with Nochri Kal mineroller. Looks here: https://www.themodellingnews.com/2020/07/mengs-new-135th-scale-israel-main.html or here: https://armorama.com/news/merkava-mk-4-4-lic-with-nochri-kal-mine-roller-system

Or Mk. IV with Trophy system, too from Meng. Meng Mk. IV is newest kit of any Merkava today...

Meng Mk. 3 is their first kit... and haven´t anti-slip surface. But it is a best Mk. III - review here on BM:

And Merkava Mk. I and Mk. II  made few years back by Takom.  https://www.themodellingnews.com/2017/10/inboxed-takoms-new-35th-scale-merkava.html

IMHO: Best offer of current time"IDF Stuff" have Meng. 

First version of Merkava Mk. I & Mk. II Takom

Academy Mk. IV is cheapest but not too good as Meng. Don´t buy their Mk. III, it is a prototype.

And from HobbyBoss/Trumpeter i´am a bit sceptic about accuracy.

So i suggest:

Meng Mk. IV with Nochri Kal  Mineroller

Takom Mk. I & Mk. II

Meng Mk. III with Nochri Dalet Mineroller because with minerollers looks monstrous and gorgeous...

Maybe you haven´t your shop, but it is a better choice. 

• Like 2

HB to be honest. They are ok, and consider HB also had the chance to see them in real!

I built one, have a second at home. You need pictures from the real tank in exercise, not at all from museums!

Happy modelling 

On 8/24/2021 at 12:58 PM, Ade H said:

@exdraken No, I think that you're out of luck if that's your preferred scale. Come to think of it, is there even one in 1/72nd? Takom would surely be a good bet to fill that gap (if there is a gap).

There are currently two 1/72 scale that I know of. Hobby Boss do a Mk.IV and Trumpeter do a Mk.III. You're right about no 1/48 (Boo!! Tha's my preferred scale :D ) and there's a choice of 15 in 1/35 to suit your depth of pocket and dedication to accuracy.

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Sad 1

• 5 months later...

My Hobby Boss (Merkava IV) kit gave me struggles from the get-go. I got frustrated and put it back in the box for later. My MENG Merkava IV with Trophy goes together much better currently. The Hobby Boss plastic to me is a bit soft and you need to be careful cutting parts off the tree as they are a bit thick for that type of soft plastic.

On the Hobby Boss, one part broke just from cutting it away from the sprue and yes, I was trying to be careful with my Xuron cutters, but still broke anyway. I had to firmly hold the entire part to prevent the other three identical parts from breaking like the first one. On my MENG kit, the plastic is in my opinion much better and easier to deal with. I'll still build my Hobby Boss kit but might take longer than I anticipated. Both have great details and looks good on the box. Magic Model makes turned metal barrels for both kits and I have one for the Hobby Boss on the way and will get the one for my MENG kit soon. Good luck on your choice!

Brandon

Actually in 1/72 there are various Merkavas, Italeri /esci do a 1 and 2, Revell do a prototype mk3, Trumpeter do a mk3 and mk3baz, Hobbyboss do a mk3D , mk3D/LIC and a mk4. Cromwell (if you can ever get hold of them) do a mk2D mk3D mk4 and mk4 trophy. That said only the Cromwell and Revell tanks come with the ball chain sort of represented, the Italeri/Esci mk2 is really just a mk1 with the add on armour to the turret sides, plus they have just single wheels with nicely detailed tracks on the outside but no detail on the inner, including guide horns! But can be brought up to a better standard with bits from other models.

Edited by Old pro
Added more info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1