Canadian CMP C15a GS Truck

So I got around to getting the photo gear out and taking some snaps of something random from the cabinet for a first RFI. This was made a couple of years ago, so it's not representative of my current standard. That being said, you're welcome to say whatever you like about it. I'm not easily upset! I know most / all of its flaws, so how many can you spot? 😉 Speaking of spotting, there's an "easter egg" in the cab.

It's the IBG kit, but with Def Model wheels for the old Italeri kit (easily adapted with very basic scratch-building) and the Eduard etch. Both add-ons are practically essential (says I, anyway) because of the kit's inaccurate tyres and some missing details, not least of which is the treadplate floor in the cab. Stowage is from Bronco, Ultracast, and Value Gear.

It was painted with Model Air, as usual. HS chipping on the bed; brush everywhere else. Loads of OPR, of course; mostly using Sennelier, with some Abt 502. Dust washes were my own mixes; first based on enamel fixer, then an oil mix without a fixer. The base is supposed to represent a rural road in Sicily, based on photos, but it should really have been more light grey and stony. The groundwork used AK paste (post-shaded a lot), fine talus, and Green Stuff World shrubs.

If you have any questions, even vaguely related, please ask. There are no dumb questions.

2021-8-19-CMPC15GS-01 2021-8-19-CMPC15GS-02 2021-8-19-CMPC15GS-05 2021-8-19-CMPC15GS-06

Edited by Ade H
  • Like 30

I really hope this is the 1/35 version rather than the 1/72. It's really good at 1/35 but if it's 1/72 I'm off to the knitting shop.................

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

The only minor item that I would change would be  to get some sag into the top part of that to rope. It looks too stiff.

Thanks, John. You probably don't know how spot on you are with that comment, because it is very stiff! It's Caldercraft rigging thread (which I can really recommend, by the way) and it was dyed in an acrylic wash. I left it to dry out a bit before fitting, to avoid a mess, and found it quite difficult to wind round... I had great trouble getting it to look reasonably natural. Lesson learned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ade H said:

Thanks, John. You probably don't know how spot on you are with that comment, because it is very stiff! It's Caldercraft rigging thread (which I can really recommend, by the way) and it was dyed in an acrylic wash. I left it to dry out a bit before fitting, to avoid a mess, and found it quite difficult to wind round... I had great trouble getting it to look reasonably natural. Lesson learned.

I also use some rigging thread which I bought in a ship modelling shop in S.London about 40 years ago. Mine is just like thick cotton thread and is very hairy. What I do with mine is to put a drop of white PVA glue on finger and thumb, and then draw the thread through it and put it aside to dry. That gets rid of the hairy appearance, but being PVA, you can still bend it to whatever shape that you want.

John.

Interesting. Luckily this Calder thread is very smooth, but it's just a bit pale and clean for our needs. After this model, I took a tip from Youtube and tried artists' ink (one of many useful art things which we can repurpose), then I weather / highlight it in situ with acrylics.

Ade - I think you've done a fab job on this - I have one inthe stash so thanks for the heads up about tyres and etch.

Out of curiosity - what Model Air colour or mix did you use?  The SCC2 appears spot on to me

Great job B)

Rob

• Thanks 1

That's not SCC2, Rob. That's 330 Khaki Green No.3 over a varied mix of olive drab and red-brown primers. SCC2 is reckoned to be distinctly brown; KG3 is kind of brown green.

Edited by Ade H
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ade H said:

That's not SCC2, Rob. That's 330 Khaki Green No.3 over a varied mix of olive drab and red-brown primers. SCC2 is reckoned to be distinctly brown; KG3 is kind of brown green.

Thanks Ade - that'll be in equal parts my PC colour rendering and my failing eyesight and cognition :oops:

It's a great shade and just as elusive as SCC2 - your own mix or off the shelf?

Rob

• Like 1

No, just out of the bottle, Rob. I think it has gained a reputation for being a little too brown, but I've always used Model Air 330 and it has always looked fine to me. It's easy to shift it greener or browner with your choice of primer. My only complaint with it is that KG3 seems a bit tricky to intershade with mottling, which I didn't do on this model, but I usually do now.

• Thanks 1

On 19/08/2021 at 22:00, Ade H said:

This was made a couple of years ago, so it's not representative of my current standard

I think this is very nicely done Ade and I am looking forward to seeing some of your current work.

• Thanks 1