Reskinning a Cat. Jaguar E-type Speedster

As you may know I have what is seemingly an incurable disease of not being able to build OOTB. So here's my next creation based upon the Revell E-type Roadster. The box and the bits have been posted in another build thread so no point in me replicating that.

The bumpers won't be fitted and neither will the front indicator/sidelights. The bonnet louvres have gone but there will be some vents added somewhere. As you can see pretty much every seam and hole is being filled and work has begun on the sculpetd rear bulkhead and deck lid.

If any purists don't like it simply move on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by mbdesignart
another image added
  • Like 10

So many followers, maybe I need to add a towbar and trailer?😄 Good to have you all aboard.

Progressing with the rear deck, after a lot of sanding I hope I'm on the last leg with the last spot of that well known fine filler that goes on the surface from that Mister😉 that requires flatting.  As with the front all the unnecessary holes have been filled for the streamlined look. It will need a mist coat of primer to judge if it can pass muster.

spacer.png

Edited by mbdesignart
typo
  • Like 6

Still more filling required, mainly around the joint along the lower rear wings that would be hidden by the bumpers, plus a couple of pits in the rear deck. Hopefully the filler will grab the primer better second time around. I may shoot some primer/filler over it next time and give it, hopefully, a final wet sanding. Now I'm in a quandry over colour choice, metallic mid grey with red interior or mid blue with a cream interior. There's also an idea about adding lighter number roundels as inspired by images on the net.

spacer.png

Edited by mbdesignart
extra text
  • Like 8

Oh dear I've just discovered the kit brake disc dimensions are incorrect. Scale dimensions are [mm] F-11.66, R-11.0 based on a parts catalogue info, kit sizes are F-12.8, R-8.8. Not an issue if you are using the kit wheels as they won't be seen, but I'm going down a different route and with the fronts being oversize they are now causing problems. Moreso when considering the calipers.

• Sad 1

That's the sanding and hole cutting finished. The front intake and new side vents will be backed with diamond pattern mesh. Blue is the body colour I've plumped for with sandy/cream interior, all I need now is a sunny day for spraying.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

• Like 9

The England cricket team imported the cloud and rain, to be expected really, so no further prgress on the paint front. Howvever, I have been looking at modifiying the front hubs/discs. All the other bits are primed and ready for paint too so I could dig out a hairy stick and crack on with those.

• Like 1

I'm not really interested in the "what-ifs" etc but this is some very impressive modelling. Also, as a lifelong E-type fan I'm definitely interested to see what you do with it!

Ian

2 hours ago, JeroenS said:

That's some very impressive filling/shaping/sanding!

Thanks, it took more time than I envisaged but I think it's been worthwhile.

I've been inspired by the many offerings www.eaglegb.com have, sadly I can only drool at the pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

After waiting for an age for a delivery of glass bottles I have completed the paint alchemy and all set for spraying. The paint is a mix of Tamiya Lacquer paints, Dark Ghost Grey with Flat Blue and some Flat White addded for the lighter shade which will be the number roundels. Plan is to apply the lighter shade, apply circle masks, reshoot the lighter colour over the masks to seal the edge to avoid bleeding and then the topcoat. All topped off with Tamiya gloss clear.

spacer.png

• Like 3