1/32 F-4E Kurnass: Yom Kippur Sledgehammer *FINISHED!*

Alan P

Thanks chaps 👍

7 hours ago, Bo hermansen said:

Looks amazing, was the mix of early M-117 and late M-117 a choice or coincidence?.

what brand of paints are you going to use?

Thanks, the bombs are definitely by choice, mixed loads were dictated by stocks. Plenty of BDA camera photos showing a mixture of different tails in a single bombload. The paint I have for the camouflage is MRP, although the underside 35622 colour is mixed by me from various Xtracrylix paints.

2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

What do you glue your PE with as it looks lovely and clean? 

Thank you Anthony, you're spoiling me now :lol: I use GS Hypo bead cement, but recently started using B6000 (basically the same stuff but in a less irritating non-breaking tube 😠) Highly recommend it, even though it's a bit stringy.

6 hours ago, helios16v said:

I probably wouldn't even know unless they were sitting right beside each other.  :D

That's probably true, put it next to a Revell kit and you really can see the difference. Between Revell's back end and Tamiya's front end I think there's a decent 1/32 F-4E out there... :lol:

Cheers guys, more photos tomorrow or Wednesday I hope.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Alan P said:

This was a lot of cutting, filing and folding, but that's what modelling is, right?

Always worth it when it comes to jet nozzles.

Impressive build Alan and here I am doing a petite 1/48 thinking what a big beast. Hopefully you fixed that nose seam. 

Ray

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2021 at 4:48 AM, Ray_W said:

Impressive build Alan and here I am doing a petite 1/48 thinking what a big beast. Hopefully you fixed that nose seam. 

Mmm...kind of!

On 10/12/2021 at 11:37 AM, DaveJL said:

Looks good under primer Alan. There's always one pesky seam line that refuses to budge!!

Thanks very much guys - I got the paint on over the past few days:

tn_Kurnass (60)

It might look good at first glance but needs quite a lot of touch-ups and tidying, unfortunately. 

tn_Kurnass (56) tn_Kurnass (57)

I don't normally do complex camouflage schemes because I hate all the masking - this one also has clearly feathered edges so the infamous blutac sausages were used - plenty to go wrong with those, and it did! I made the classic blutac error of covering up too much of the base colour with the sausages, with the result that the dominant Sand colour has got a bit lost among the camo, particularly the Tan/Brown. Ah well.

tn_Kurnass (58)

I like the underneath though, maybe I'll have to pose this upside down :hmmm:

tn_Kurnass (59)

Anyway, I'm not super happy with how it's come out but after a bit of work it'll still look pretty good. Just takes time!

Alan

• Like 15

11 hours ago, Alan P said:

made the classic blutac error of covering up too much of the base colour with the sausages, with the result that the dominant Sand colour has got a bit lost among the camo, particularly the Tan/Brown.

Alan, one of those things where never mentioned never realised. You're right though, it easy to do when masking. The paintwork looks excellent. It's is going to be a spectacular rendition.

Ray

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2021 at 10:51 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nice … I definitely want one someday, may I ask what paint & colors you have used. 

Thanks Dennis, I used MRP lacquer paints for the camouflage: Sand FS 33531, Green 34227 and Tan 30219.I saw these on @Stephens Israeli C-130 and they looked spot on. The underside blue was mixed from Xtracrylix RLM 65 Hellblau, FS 34151 Interior Green and FS 36622 Light Gray.

Thanks, still slowly working on this.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2021 at 6:27 PM, Covjets13 said:

Great progress on the build Alan, I bet the fun starts now to show all the faded paint. 😉

Quite a few steps to go before I can start thinking about that!

Unfortunately managed to catch covid despite trying to avoid it for so long...so this is very much on the back burner 😔

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Alan P said:

Quite a few steps to go before I can start thinking about that!

Unfortunately managed to catch covid despite trying to avoid it for so long...so this is very much on the back burner 😔

Oh mate.....I am sorry to hear.  I hope you are starting to feel better soon.  Rest up my friend!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Oh mate.....I am sorry to hear.  I hope you are starting to feel better soon.  Rest up my friend!

Thanks Anthony, very much appreciate it. The good news is my Warbird stencils have arrived so ready to continue when the covid lets go of me 😊

• Like 2

Managed to crawl out of my plague pit and do a bit of painting!

tn_Kurnass (61)

Much happier with the paintjob now, camouflage tidied up and the other parts of the fuselage are painted.

tn_Kurnass (62)

Nose painted black with RHAWS antennae on the leading edges. Walkway area is painted dark grey.

tn_Kurnass (63)

Stabilators and slotted leading edges painted with various Alclads

tn_Kurnass (64)

Lots of soot on the underside as these aircraft spent a lot of time in afterburner during the YKW!

tn_Kurnass (65)

Very pleased with the underside colour now it's in contrast with the other colours in the wheelwells and aux inlets

tn_Kurnass (66)

I 've always understood the airbrake well interiors are the underside colour while the airbrake interior itself is red. Same for the aux intake doors. Managed to paint a bunch of other stuff (doors and landing gear bits) but not going to post photos until they're all finished. Also have all the pods, missiles and bombs to complete.

This is ready for glossing in prep for the decals - will be preparing for a couple of days of death by stencils! Hopefully this will still make the GB deadline 🤞

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 10

1 minute ago, helios16v said:

Looking grand!  Glad to hear you're feeling better and on the upswing.  :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Chris, feels good to be getting this behind me 😌

5 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Brilliant progress Alan.....putting the decals on will be worse than having Covid, I'm sure...:D.  Nah just kidding, glad you're feeling better as time goes by.

Thanks mate, I started to taste things again this evening which is a great improvement and lifted my spirits no end 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

I 've always understood the airbrake well interiors are the underside colour while the airbrake interior itself is red...

Cheers,

Alan

Yes, as I understand it, the wells are painted at the factory at the same time as the bottom of fuselage, before the airbrakes are painted separately and then glued on.🤪

The soot looks nice on the underside. Was that airbrushed or brushed powder?

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Yes, as I understand it, the wells are painted at the factory at the same time as the bottom of fuselage, before the airbrakes are painted separately and then glued on.🤪

The soot looks nice on the underside. Was that airbrushed or brushed powder?

Thanks @Thom216 for the backup 👍 the soot was airbrushed using Alclad Jet Exhaust and Transparent Smoke, it's a nice combination for smoke and soot stains.

• Like 2