1/32 F-4E Kurnass: Yom Kippur Sledgehammer *FINISHED!*

Alan P

Thanks guys ๐Ÿ‘ unfortunately I managed to spoil the canopies so I'm just going to crack on and finish it, hopefully the seats will look nice enough to distract the eye from the lumpy spots of congealed Gauzy on the canopies ๐Ÿ˜”

• Sad 1

Canopy woes...

tn_Kurnass (114)

You can see the little specks/blobs of congealed AK Gauzy. i suspect this was because I left it out in my shed during the recent sub-zero frosts and this has affected it ๐Ÿ˜ญ

tn_Kurnass (115)

I also probably didn't help by forgetting to bring them inside while they were drying.

tn_Kurnass (113)

As long as they don't catch the light too much they might look okay. I'll pretend they just got washed or something.

ย 

To be honest I'm through caring with this build and want to get on to something else pronto. It was fun at the beginning but my general resentment of the poor value of this kit and the amount of work you need to do to bring it up to snuff is just annoying now.

ย 

Here are the seats, still only part way done:

tn_Kurnass (111)

The Eduard set adds a lot of much needed and missing detail from the kit - but (and this may come back to bite me one day but I don't care) I am NEVER using aftermarket photoetch belts again EVER.ย 

tn_Kurnass (112)

I threw bits of seatbelt across my modelling room* so many times. I don't think I swore so much in one sitting in my life!ย The face curtain pull handles are done with decals from airscale. Again, they look better from a respectable distance like the rest of the model.

ย 

I let my frustration with this build get the better of me today. But tomorrow it should be finished!

ย 

Alan

ย 

ย 

*Plus the added indignity of going back on hands and knees to look for them later

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Alan P said:

You can see the little specks/blobs of congealed AK Gauzy

Have you tried removing it? Maybe an experiment on a spare canopy? I did a little bit of googling and possibly isopropyl alcohol might remove it, then a re-dip in klear?

ย 

To be honest I'm through caring with this build and want to get on to something else pronto

I know just how you feel!ย :huh:

ย 

The Eduard set adds a lot of much needed and missing detail from the kit - but (and this may come back to bite me one day but I don't care) I am NEVER using aftermarket photoetch belts again EVER.

Again, having used Eduard etched belts for many years I can sympathise, but from your photos they look very good indeed, they would enhance any model.

ย 

Nearly there!

• Thanks 1

Just the finishing touches now:

tn_Kurnass (116)

The glass fibre/rubberised coating on the nose and the pitot need painting. The very effective masking solution is obvious :lol:

tn_Kurnass (117)

Corrected antennae for the YKW era (also added the correct forward antennae under the nose)

ย 

A lot of faffing around with the canopies, nav lights, canopy jettison handles and last-minute placards/RBF pins later and...

tn_Kurnass (118)

Finally finished!

tn_Kurnass (119)

It was way more work than the quick and easy build I expected, 2003 Tamiya is definitely NOT the same as 2021 Tamiya! Made life harder for myself by the choice of subject and other creative decisions, for now I'm just glad it's done.

ย 

More photos tomorrow but that'll do for today!

ย 

Thanks very much for all the help, support, encouragement, corrections and suggestions along the way. Thanks also to Paul @Danskย and Dave @DaveJLย for running a tight ship and to everyone else for the excellent builds - this must be one of the highest standard GBs I've been part of, well done to all ๐Ÿ‘

ย 

EDIT: Sorry to @trickyrichย as GB mod, well done to you too! I just assumed @Danskย was also modding due to his hyperactive involvement :lol:

ย 

All the best,

ย 

Alanย  ย 

• Like 16

• Alan P changed the title to 1/32 F-4E Kurnass: Yom Kippur Sledgehammer *FINISHED!*

Finished shots now in the Gallery!ย 

tn_Kurnass (123)

ย 

Just heard the Revell SR-71 will not be released for another month, so I'll continue with the F-35I Adir (more Israeli Air Force stuff! I don't build any for 10ย years, then two come along at once!)

ย 

Thanks everyone again...see you in the F/A-18 GB next year :lol:

ย 

Alan

• Like 6

I was all set to give you 13 out of 10 but I cannot believe you forgot to add the standby compass calibration cards from the right side of the canopy frames, so it will have to be 12 ยฝ points out of 10.

ย 

I joke, I am amazed by your talent and the quality of what you have produced.

Well Done, just does not do this model justice

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tony G said:

I was all set to give you 13 out of 10 but I cannot believe you forgot to add the standby compass calibration cards from the right side of the canopy frames, so it will have to be 12 ยฝ points out of 10.

Thanks very much Tony, I was looking for some suitable placards but never found any in the spares drawer. It also needs an AOA vane but 12.5/10 is good enough ๐Ÿ˜‚

1 hour ago, arfa1983 said:

Awesome model! I think you made it look like an easy build.very deceiving I am sure!

Thanks again, Tamiya has come a long way since this kit was produced so it's not snap-together Lego like their current kits ๐Ÿ˜ the smaller parts and components (like the gun and landing gear) fit very well, but if I'd paid the full ยฃ125 retail price for this, I'd have been very disappointed!

• Like 1

Just to cheer everyone up, here are the canopies as finished - not crystal clear (a little blurred :hmmm:) but no lumps and much better than the original dip versions!

ย 

tn_Kurnass (130)

ย 

• Like 6