1/32 F-4E Kurnass: Yom Kippur Sledgehammer *FINISHED!*

Alan P

Very Interesting build, I have not seen any pictures from YKW with mixed loads, either 8/10 M -117 or SUU-30, I think they worked like that, first pair had to supress the AAA with CBU, second pair bombers, the treat environment was for “ one pass-haul as* “.

Can you get M-117 in 1/32?

I am also pretty sure that the F-4 carried AIM-9D during the YKW.

Bo

Edited by Bo hermansen
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2021 at 3:48 PM, Bo hermansen said:

Very Interesting build, I have not seen any pictures from YKW with mixed loads, either 8/10 M -117 or SUU-30, I think they worked like that, first pair had to supress the AAA with CBU, second pair bombers, the treat environment was for “ one pass-haul as* “.

Can you get M-117 in 1/32?

I am also pretty sure that the F-4 carried AIM-9D during the YKW

I have a book at home with photos to prove everything 😉 In short, there were mixed M117/CBU loads for the Dominique missions and AIM-9G was provided as part of the Nickel Grass effort. you're right about AIM-9D! 616 was lost towards the end of the war, so not unrealistic that it should have had either/both of these. Anyway, history can do one if necessary, aesthetic comes first 😂

Videoaviation does a nice range of bombs and CBUs in 1/32, but not sure how available they are. I have a bunch of old Revell and Trumpeter M117s which I will be able to modify.

• Like 2

Thanks @Bertie Psmith and @Dansk

Pressing onward:

tn_Kurnass (38)

Trying to keep the costs down at the moment, so I'll be using the Tamiya jetpipes/nozzles.

tn_Kurnass (39) tn_Kurnass (40)

They came out okay, the seams aren't too bad.

Spent the rest of my time doing the cockpit panels and other internal equipment, I'll update when it looks more like something interesting :hmmm:

@Bo hermansen Turns out there weren't photos in my book (Ghosts of Atonement by Shlomo Aloni) after all :blush: but it does mention mixed loads of 5x M117 and 3x CBU used on RAM attacks on Syrian airbases by 201, 107 and 69 Squadrons (RAM was codename for airfield denial attacks, DOMINIQUE was strategic target bombing). The text adds that this was a very unusual load due to the different ballistic properties of the ordnance. 116 was involved in one of these attacks though not specifically mentioned as the one with the mixed load. Also, I agree with you that AIM-9D was the weapon of choice for A2A self defence. Thanks for the prompt!

On 9/17/2021 at 11:31 AM, chrismac60 said:

Surely you're not leaving those BDR patches on mate

Yes I am mate

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 7

A few bits done, so far so good...

tn_Kurnass (41)

M61 Vulcan completed - the ammo belt doesn't quite line up but it won't be visible anyway.

tn_Kurnass (42)

The kit offers long- or short-barrelled versions for whichever block you want to do.

tn_Kurnass (43)

Cockpit tub completed - kit panels with Eduard interior and jazzed up with Anyz switches, knobs and decals.

tn_Kurnass (44)

Ready for the fuselage assembly now.

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 11

This went together pretty quickly - fit not perfect but pretty good.

tn_Kurnass (45)

The silly see-through nose actually offends me, can't wait to get it painted 😠 Does anyone know of any builds that actually used this 'feature'?

Also - this is massive. It's been a while since I made a 1/32 Phantom (this is my third) and I forgot how big they are :hmmm:

Alan

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Alan P said:

Also - this is massive. It's been a while since I made a 1/32 Phantom (this is my third) and I forgot how big they are :hmmm:

Yeah, I went and dug out my Revell 1/32 F-4G to compare against on the 1/48 F-4F and was surprised to see how much larger the 1/32 bird was.  The full length of the 1/48 fuselage only came up to the intakes on the 1/32.  :o

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Alan P said:

This went together pretty quickly - fit not perfect but pretty good.

tn_Kurnass (45)

The silly see-through nose actually offends me, can't wait to get it painted 😠 Does anyone know of any builds that actually used this 'feature'?

Alan

Only thing that comes to mind is a "cut away" Phantom at the Israeli Air Force Museum. They've cut out several panels replacing them with clear ones so you can see the internals and made a walkway so you can get up close.  Would be cool to have a clear fuselage and wings that you could only paint half of to show internal components. I've seen other kits geared towards this

• Thanks 1

Been working on this over a few days, but it's lots of fiddly stuff that doesn't make good in-prog interest :hmmm:

Here's the state of play so far:

tn_Kurnass (46)

Landing gear and underwing stores in progress...

tn_Kurnass (47)

Airframe mostly built up, some nice gaps along the wing root and fin to fill.

tn_Kurnass (48)

Underside has some PE added

tn_Kurnass (50)

Landing gear assembled with PE details

Then I had a rush of blood to the head and decided to just build it!

tn_Kurnass (51)

Sealed the gaps with Tamiya tape, my gap-filler of choice :lol: Tried to correct the wingtip dihedral (the kit is too severe) but didn't try to push it back to 13deg...it looks okay to my eye!

tn_Kurnass (52)

The ailerons are built, just waiting until paint before attaching them due to having to paint the red inner faces.

Finally had a go at finishing the underwing stores:

tn_Kurnass (49)

Going with the mixed load 750s and CBUs per the Damascus Airport strike as reported in Ghosts of Atonement...the bombs are from Videoaviation in Italy - very reasonable prices and pretty good casting. They also did the vane-type fins variant of the M117 as well 👍 MER and TER, AIM-7Es and AN/ALQ-87 are from the kit. AIM-9Ds are from the Trumpeter F-8E.

Hopefully will be able to start painting this weekend - will be using MRP paints but I'll need to mix my own Light Blue for the undersides.

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 8

Also just realised my fancy Sky's Decals only have Hebrew stencils 😠 so I'll have to use the kit stencils which are incomplete. This is kinda annoying!

Anyone have any black Phantom stencils they don't need?

Alan

Thanks guys, working six days this week so no time to model 😭 I do have the primer on at least.

2 hours ago, Dansk said:

Looking ace Alan.

Are those magnets where the sparrows nestle in the fuselage?

Ha, if only I was that imaginative 🤣 no it's just PE decorations from the Eduard set. Thanks though 😉

22 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Lovely work Alan!

Cheers Dave! Will be back at work on it soon I hope.

On 10/9/2021 at 3:22 PM, Bo hermansen said:

Looks amazing.

Thanks very much Bo 👍

I used the inaccurate undersized kit jetpipes - I thought this kit was overpriced when I bought it and I'm loath to spend even more on corrections for it. PE enhancements is one thing, but replacing entire sections of plastic isn't worth the bother in my opinion.

tn_Kurnass (53)

This was a lot of cutting, filing and folding, but that's what modelling is, right? :lol:

tn_Kurnass (54)

Primer on. I used Tamiya Fine Surface Primer and those panel lines really pop out.

tn_Kurnass (55)

The seams look okay...not perfect but okay! The one along the top of the nose is a real pain to get rid of. Stupid clear plastic, what were they thinking :hmmm:Can't help wondering what a Revell/Tamiya kitbash would be like, but I'm not spending out on another Tamiya kit to find out...

Anyway - paint next!

Alan

• Like 8

Those tailpipes cleaned nicely for your troubles...despite being undersized.  I probably wouldn't even know unless they were sitting right beside each other.  :D

• Like 1