1/32 F-4E Kurnass: Yom Kippur Sledgehammer *FINISHED!*

Alan P

Just saving my place for this GB, will be starting as soon as I finish the 1/32 Tempest.

Will be an IAF bomb truck from the most desperate days of the October War (Yom Kippur) in 1973. Tamiya kit as the base, lots of photoetch and some excellent decals.

Alan 

• Like 10

55 minutes ago, Gidge said:

Fantastic! Which squadron are you doing?

Probably 201 The One Squadron, they took the worst losses trying to attack Syria and supporting the Golan Front. But I'm still working it all out 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alan P said:

Probably 201 The One Squadron, they took the worst losses trying to attack Syria and supporting the Golan Front. But I'm still working it all out 😉

Nice. They seemed to be some of the few Israeli Phantoms that weren't running the updated gun muzzle by then. They also had four "Karpada" aircraft in SEA camo which eye enervating replacements. 

I really like their look from 76 onwards when they got the red rudders with the blue and white highlights. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gidge said:

They also had four "Karpada" aircraft in SEA camo which eye enervating replacements. 

Oh, yeah I really don't like that look, interesting for some but not for me 🤨

10 hours ago, speedy said:

Yes. Knowing you it will be built in a week and look tremendous. I’ve given up already:lalala:

Ha! Hopefully will have a quieter September at work, I've been the only sucker there this month due school holidays (no longer a factor for me, but everyone else is on vacation) and it's been punishing 😬 looking forward to some shed time 🙏

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Better late than never, this build is finally under way!

Quick run through the box of goodies:

tn_Kurnass (1)

You've all seen this before, getting a bit long in the tooth now. It's not 21st century Tamiya quality, more like a modern Revell kit in fact.

tn_Kurnass (2)

Ouch! I actually paid £75 at Telford about 5 years ago.

tn_Kurnass (3)

Lots of plastic in the box!

tn_Kurnass (4)

Cockpit moulding is pretty good, but no better than Revell's F-4E/F in 1/32.

tn_Kurnass (5)

Exterior detail is pretty good for its time, especially in the wheelwells.

tn_Kurnass (7)

What were they thinking with this malarkey :hmmm:At least the shape is good.

tn_Kurnass (8)

Nicely done pylons and MER/TER launchers. Also a correct ECM pod for the late 60s/early 70s configuration which I will make use of!

tn_Kurnass (9)

This sprue contains the wrong Sidewinders and the notoriously undersized jetpipe/nozzles which I'm not going to correct.

tn_Kurnass (10)

These are the slotted E model stabilisers which are produced with a one-piece mount - great for correct anhedral, beggar to paint!

tn_Kurnass (11)

The wings are massive in 1/32, this will need its own shelf :hmmm:

tn_Kurnass (6)

A whole bunch of interior detail which won't be used - I'll probably use the cannon barrel so I can leave the access door hinged open. Nice to see the different fin cap options provided.

tn_Kurnass (12)

Lovely moulded details for the intake vents 👍

tn_Kurnass (13)

The equally notorious and badly-fitting intakes, why most builders go for aftermarket seamless intakes or FOD covers. I haven't decided yet.

tn_Kurnass (14)

More very nice details on the intake ramps.

tn_Kurnass (15)

Clear parts are lovely, no seams!

tn_Kurnass (16)

Seats are also well-moulded and look accurate.

tn_Kurnass (17)

Another bright idea to have the metallic parts as a separate piece - unfortunately there's that business with the stabiliser which means you have to mask this for painting anyway :hmmm:

tn_Kurnass (18)

This IS a good idea - metal cores for the landing gear, including the thin hub part for the main gears. This is the weak link of any Phantom build, usually means the main gears 'toe in' without additional support. Hope it works!

tn_Kurnass (19)

Nice set of decals, but probably as unmanageable as all Tamiya's decals from that era...

tn_Kurnass (20)

...so I got these instead! The panel numbers are an ancient Hobbydecal dry transfer set from Korea. I used 1/48 as the 1/32 scale ones looked too obvious.

tn_Kurnass (21)

Eduard Big Ed set - loads more PE than I'll ever use, but nice to have!

tn_Kurnass (22)

Last but not least - the famous one-piece fuselage complete with the infamous BDR patches.

tn_Kurnass (23)

I'll be leaving them on to simulate a battle-scarred Kurnass from week 2 of the October War.

Great congratulations if you managed to make it this far - progress pics from tomorrow!

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 13

Surprise! Progress pics from today!

tn_Kurnass (24)

Decided to bite the bullet and get rid of those horrible intakes. Changed the original plan which was to have the aircraft taxiing out with crew aboard and canopies open, but I just can't face fixing those godawful intake ducts. FOD covers it will be.

tn_Kurnass (25)

Doesn't look as bad now :hmmm:ah well, too late.

tn_Kurnass (26)

The intakes themselves fit quite well, tried to minimise the gaps with some creative gluing and brute force!

tn_Kurnass (27)

Just moved on to the cockpit - it will be a combination of kit parts and PE upgrades. The Eduard interior is pretty good for this kit.

Also just obtained a pristine copy of Ghosts of Atonement, an excellent mission-by-mission pictorial account of the October War from the Israeli Phantom squadrons. The final selection for markings, loadout and mission is still up for grabs....

Alan

• Like 8

I've always fancied having a go at one of the old Tamiya 1/32 kits. I'm not sure whether your thread is encouraging or dissuading me so far. Definitely one to watch. It's interesting to see how some of the design carried over to the new 1/48, the stabs for example.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I've always fancied having a go at one of the old Tamiya 1/32 kits. I'm not sure whether your thread is encouraging or dissuading me so far. 

Of the ones I've tried (F-16CJ, F-14A, F-15C and now this) the only one I'd unreservedly recommend is the F-16. The others are poor value for money in my miserly opinion 😉

• Like 1

• Alan P changed the title to 1/32 F-4E Kurnass: Yom Kippur Sledgehammer!
3 hours ago, Alan P said:

Of the ones I've tried (F-16CJ, F-14A, F-15C and now this) the only one I'd unreservedly recommend is the F-16. The others are poor value for money in my miserly opinion 😉

Thanks for answering my unasked question! 

22 hours ago, Dansk said:

That fuselage must be humongous - I’m curious, can you stick a tamiya paint pot or something next to it so we can see the size of it?

As you wish Paul 😉

tn_Kurnass (28)

It's a big lump alright...

tn_Kurnass (29)

Some interior detail using the Eduard sidewall/sills and some plastic rod.

tn_Kurnass (30)

Cockpit tub and instrument panels/consoles ready for paint:

tn_Kurnass (31)

This is quite a nice kit, the build has been pleasant so far.

Alan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cockpit parts painted using MRP Dark Gull Gray:

tn_Kurnass (33)

Still a lot of details to paint!

tn_Kurnass (32)

Jetpipes and turbine/afterburner rings. Haven't done a J79 since the Italeri Starfighter a couple of years ago, and now two come along at once.

tn_Kurnass (34)

Cockpit sills painted black, interior is Dk Gull Gray.

tn_Kurnass (37)

Wasted half an hour doing the nose interior parts. Parts of the gun assembly will be visible if I have the access hatch open like this one:

spacer.png

Also might display the radar unit as a separate superdetailed item :hmmm:

So far this has been a nice build, it's complex but the moulding is sharp and it goes together well so far.

Alan

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Bo hermansen said:

Look great, are you building 187? And what are you going to hang undeneath?

Bo

No I'll be building 616 (Squadron 201 Kurnass 116). Haven't decided on the load yet but it'll be either ten M117s or five 117s and three CBUs. Plus an ALQ-71 pod and probably 2x AIM-9G/H. Should be an interesting look!

• Like 2