Malta Beaufighter Mk.VI

I thought I should start a thread for this build. I decided I needed a more colourful Beaufighter. This is the 272nd Sqn Mk.VI based in Malta  in 1942.

It is the out of the box Tamiya 1/48 kit. Using kit decals. and Vallejo paints. 

This build is current to this GB. It was started well after my TF.X

Beau Malta image1

• Like 6

Depends on if you have primed and how long you have left it. I find it a smooth paint but without a primer it can peel as it doesn’t bit hard.

liking the choice of aircraft and scheme, that blue looks great.

Rob

Thanks Rob. I have had to take a step back with this one. When I was masking it I noticed the lower wing panels weren't sealed. You can see them in the image. I've now sealed them. Tomorrow I will over paint the joints. 

I should get the landing gear on the TF-X tomorrow as well. Daves decals are still missing sadly 😥 for the Aussie plane. He has sent another set, so hopefully that will arrive before the deadline.  I will be happy if I get two Beaufighters done. Three would be a bonus.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately it isn't flawless.  On the other side there is a patch of thin paint. I'm deciding whether to leave it as weathering or patch it. Also today I finished the small decals only to notice the brown engine isn't painted correctly. The blue bottom colour is far too high. I will fix it this afternoon.  This one will have a lot more weathering on it.

FIXED NOW.

Another Beaufighter done. This one shows the Malta environment on the finish.

I will be putting up galley images when The Nightfighter is done. 

I know there is a lot of talk about the colours of the Malta aircraft. I've simply built this one as per the kit instructions. 

Beau Malta image3

• Like 9

On 9/19/2021 at 12:58 PM, Greg Law said:

I know there is a lot of talk about the colours of the Malta aircraft. I've simply built this one as per the kit instructions. 

Pretty much as I intend to do with my Hasegawa one come the day, I reckon it is a super scheme & you've caught it extremely well. Nice going on this. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1