Future 72nd Scale Eduard/Special Hobby Releases

fishplanebeer

Across a number of recent threads people have referred to Eduard/Special Hobby potentially releasing a 72nd scale Tempest this year and even possibly a Spitfire Mk1a as well so can  anyone shed any light on these or is this just rumour mongering at it's worst. Or is it perhaps spoiling tactics by these companies to hint at producing them just to put people off buying releases from other manufacturers in the hope that something better may be in the pipe line?

Regards

Colin.

5 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning 

I just hope that in the near future Eduard will downscale in 1/72 their P51D Mustang and Tempest I will buy several boxes ..

Regards Patrice  

I don't think there's a really good P-51D in 1/72, which means there's definitely room for one more. I'm also extremely eager for an Eduard Spitfire I, something I would buy case-loads of. I just can't see it happening any time soon though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lasermonkey said:

I don't think there's a really good P-51D in 1/72, which means there's definitely room for one more. I'm also extremely eager for an Eduard Spitfire I, something I would buy case-loads of. I just can't see it happening any time soon though.

Totally agree with you there is always room for a Mustang in 1/72 , I am saving money to buy several Armahobby P51B/C ..

I already have several boxes of the Eduard late marks Spit and I look forward that they decline the early marks in 1/72 ...

Regards

Patrice 

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

The best 1/72 P-51D is probably the Airfix kit, followed by Tamiya. Then there are the also-rans: Hasegawa, Italeri, Academy, HobbyBoss, Heller, Revell (ugh!). There are quite a few kits out there, but of not nearly the quality or diversity that exists in 1/48. For example, there’s no fillet-less early D-5 and also none of the recon variants. Surprisingly, there is room for a new kit in 1/72.

Update: oops! Forgot the Matchbox kit, which is much better shape-wise than the Revell D that they inexplicably keep rereleasing instead. There’s also a D by Misterkit but the less said about that the better.

Edited by VMA131Marine

The late Spitfires should come back maybe toward the end of the year / early next year. My guess is that they are yet to get to these after the fire. IIRC there we should get the S-199 later this year, and the 109s F, G, K are also in the pipeline (possibly to be done again with SH). There has also been a talk of another "secret" project for later this year, probably around the now-scuttled E-Day - so we'll have to wait and see what it will be :)

Judging by their general pattern, I suspect we can expect a lot of the 48 fighters in 72 as well, but it will probably be a while before we get there. I'd love to see them putting out the early 190s as well as the Dora in the smaller scale, but I am not sure if those are on the table at all...

11 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

Just for my education - what is wrong with Tamiya P-51D?

It's a typically nice Tamiya kit, but the only things missing for me are the usual inaccuracy in the wheel well and that the kit omitted the option of dropped flaps (don't see many parked Mustangs with raised flaps). No big deal, but at least Airfix addressed both areas in their kit.

Steve

• Thanks 1

I’ve also read that the Hasegawa kit is more accurate in the upper nose area, being noticeably flatter in cross section than the Airfix and Tamiya kits. I have been building all three kits side by side and couldn’t shake the feeling that, while each kit has its plus points, all fell short of what the P-51 deserves.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I’ve also read that the Hasegawa kit is more accurate in the upper nose area, being noticeably flatter in cross section than the Airfix and Tamiya kits. I have been building all three kits side by side and couldn’t shake the feeling that, while each kit has its plus points, all fell short of what the P-51 deserves.

For it's age, the Hasegawa Mustang is still pretty decent kit in my books

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fightersweep said:

It's a typically nice Tamiya kit, but the only things missing for me are the usual inaccuracy in the wheel well and that the kit omitted the option of dropped flaps (don't see many parked Mustangs with raised flaps). No big deal, but at least Airfix addressed both areas in their kit.

Steve

But the Tamiya is more refined than the Airfix, in my view. The flap issue can be fixed. On balance the Tammy is a better kit with its finer panel lining, cockpit detail, etc. You do, though, pay a fair bit more for the Tamiya. The Airfix can be picked for pennies. 

Airfix

FAB511crop

Tamiya 

DSC_0823

with flaps dropped

DSC_0936

Martin

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

But the Tamiya is more refined than the Airfix, in my view. The flap issue can be fixed. On balance the Tammy is a better kit with its finer panel lining, cockpit detail, etc. You do, though, pay a fair bit more for the Tamiya. The Airfix can be picked for pennies. 

I didn't mean to say that the Tamiya kit is in any way less refined than the Airfix kit, only that Airfix gave the option of dropped flaps and got the wheel well right. Two things I would have thought Tamiya would have picked up on. Despite that, it's still the nicer kit in many other ways. Either way, there's still room for another new kit.

Nice Pony by the way!

Steve

8 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I didn't mean to say that the Tamiya kit is in any way less refined than the Airfix kit, only that Airfix gave the option of dropped flaps and got the wheel well right. Two things I would have thought Tamiya would have picked up on. Despite that, it's still the nicer kit in many other ways. Either way, there's still room for another new kit.

Nice Pony by the way!

Steve

You are right, Steve. Maybe I got a little sensitive. Sorry. I’ve built a number of both and err towards the Tamiya every time, using a stock of Airfix flaps. I have a few that were kindly given to me by @Col.. It is more expensive but I think it is worth it. I agree, though, we could do with a new mould kit of the standard that Eduard could easily produce, particularly as they have done the leg work with the 1/48. They could do the same with the MiG-21bis and U/US/UM!

Come on Eduard, get the hint!!!!!!

Martin :)

• Like 2

On 8/21/2021 at 3:03 PM, Dennis_C said:

Just for my education - what is wrong with Tamiya P-51D?

The worst part is that the wing has a wrong incidence angle, the leading edge being in the right place, the trailing edge sitting too low by about 1mm. The doghouse is consequently too deep. This is common with Tamiya 1/48th release, while the newish 1/32nd T. version is just perfect (coincidentally Eduard 48th got this aspect right 😉)The fuselage is about 2 mm too short, partly in the engine cowling, partly in the tail. Then there are a lot of "could have been better" issues but overall is a nice basis. I can't comment on Airfix but for sure the windscreen is wrong ( sadly they released the 1/72 version before Lidar- scans for the 1/48th version). Apparently three companies know the real shape of the P-51D: Tamiya, Airfix, Meng. T and A still have a fair 1/72 and they'll not upgrade their current products. The only real player left is Eduard, that has a decent knowledge of how a ........ P-51D is done (except again for some minor weird issues in the windscreen and landing gear area)

EDIT: here attached a picture of a modified fuselage vs an unmodified one. The modified one is roughly superimposed to a scaled copy of the profile in the 1/32 Tamiya instruction booklet (again note that Tamiya's and Eduard's instruction profiles match 100%). I modified  the incidence of the wing and reduced the doghouse height and profile, length was modified at a later stage. You can perceive the difference by looking at the cockpit side panels and wing a.o.i.- the corner-shaped part of the wing fillet has  been reduced in height too

resized_cd8e2631-cd4d-41d8-844f-a82ff05e

cheers

Edited by steh2o
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1