Spruebrothers partnership new 1/32 Phantoms?

GRIM REAPER

As successful as Spruebrothers is, I think they will have the capital to invest in such a project. I think where they would need help is in the research, development, and tooling phases. In my opinion, I think this is where the partnership with Phantom Phreaks is beneficial.

On 8/23/2021 at 5:23 PM, SAT69 said:

Here's hoping they maintain the drive and have access to enough money to make thisĀ  venture truly successful.

The way I see this work is to adopt the approach I see with Jetmads: have people sign up for kits to be issued. That way you have a good view on interest, cost etc.

• Like 1

I doubt theyĀ will go on to makeĀ a Spey engined Phantom partly because the back end requires new tooling of the moulds and partly because it never flew wearing stars and bars hence it being of much reduced interest to the main US market.Ā 
Ā 

I think we need to pin our hopes on the development of one by HK which announced oh so long ago is either stalled or proceeding to plastic ever so slowly šŸŒĀ 

Ā 

Given the supposed demand by enthusiasts it might have been worth a limited run high end kit done by some form of crowdfunding here in the UK but the spectre ofĀ the HK kit rather removes the traction from that idea - at least to some degree.Ā 
Ā 

Returning to topic itā€™s great that such innovative marketing is going on and Sprue Bros are to be applauded. Letā€™s hope they find a UK distributorĀ 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I doubt theyĀ will go on to makeĀ a Spey engined Phantom partly because the back end requires new tooling of the moulds and partly because it never flew wearing stars and bars hence it being of much reduced interest to the main US market.Ā 
Ā 

I think we need to pin our hopes on the development of one by HK which announced oh so long ago is either stalled or proceeding to plastic ever so slowly šŸŒĀ 

Ā 

Given the supposed demand by enthusiasts it might have been worth a limited run high end kit done by some form of crowdfunding here in the UK but the spectre ofĀ the HK kit rather removes the traction from that idea - at least to some degree.Ā 
Ā 

Returning to topic itā€™s great that such innovative marketing is going on and Sprue Bros are to be applauded. Letā€™s hope they find a UK distributorĀ 

From looking at the speed that the Tamiya B's sold at, and the age of their 1:32 F-4 moulds combined with the fact that they ignored the flat (B/N)Ā and slatted wing F-4s (Late E/F and S) in that scale, I would not be surprised if Tamiya dipped their toes back in the 1:32 Phantom market.

Ā 

But as you said John, a Spey F-4 is going to be a bit more niche. I still think it would sell very well because of:

• Its a Phantom
  • Lots of interesting and varied schemes

But its a UK machine, historically with model companies the centre of gravity for releases has been US/German/Japanese. UK comes a long way behind.Ā 

Ā 

Personally, I'm all for more modern tooling F-4's in 1:32. The Revell kit is fine, but has inaccuracies and the Tamiya kit is a better build, but again simplified compared to todays kits. If Sprue Bros release a good B, I'm up for one at least. ;)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Greg B said:

F

Ā 

But as you said John, a Spey F-4 is going to be a bit more niche. I still think it would sell very well because of:

• Its a Phantom
  • Lots of interesting and varied schemes

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

GregĀ  you missed out one more thing from the listĀ  - that's I'd end up buying

1 Royal Navy scheme

2 111 Sqn camo scheme

3 111 Sqn Grey scheme

4 43 Sqn Camo scheme

5 43 Sqn special commemorative checker/Ā greyĀ  scheme

Ā 

I'd not do Black Mike as that's a bit overdone..........................................................................all rightĀ  6 I'd do Black Mike tooĀ 

Ā 

• Like 2

I have my doubts about 32nd scale jets, at least here in EU, I am old enough to remember when Tamiya re-issued their Tomcat, when Eagles and Phantoms came, none of them were great sellers, they were too expensive, and that was one of reasons Tamiya issued four boxings in four years, becacuse initial C/D was shelf sitter, all that in a time when prices were much lower than today. Same goes for hordes of Trumpeter 32nd kits that lingered and are now being dumped but still no one purchases them, neither distributors neither end buyers.

Only jets in 32nd scale that sold excellent were Academy's F-16 and F-18, because they were fairly priced, comparison wise in today's world with Tamiya F-4B in 48th being priced well above my line of good taste( big euphemism ) i dread the price sticker on newly tooled 32nd.Phantom.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

I have my doubts about 32nd scale jets, at least here in EU, I am old enough to remember when Tamiya re-issued their Tomcat, when Eagles and Phantoms came, none of them were great sellers, they were too expensive, and that was one of reasons Tamiya issued four boxings in four years, becacuse initial C/D was shelf sitter, all that in a time when prices were much lower than today. Same goes for hordes of Trumpeter 32nd kits that lingered and are now being dumped but still no one purchases them, neither distributors neither end buyers.

Only jets in 32nd scale that sold excellent were Academy's F-16 and F-18, because they were fairly priced, comparison wise in today's world with Tamiya F-4B in 48th being priced well above my line of good taste( big euphemism ) i dread the price sticker on newly tooled 32nd.Phantom.

Ā 

That's not true of Western Europe or North America. You can't find some 1/32 jet kits for love nor money.

Ā 

Please point me in the direction of the 1/32 Trumpeter E E Lightnings and Revell RF-4Cs gathering dust in a model shop, as I'd be happy to buy some for the original release price.

Ā 

These SB/PPĀ 1/32 F-4s will sell very well if they're accurate ā€”Ā as long as the release schedule finds us still alive. Ā£200-250 is probably realistic for its key market: Boomers and Gen X with cash and bigger homes.

Ā 

Tony

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 4

• 11 months later...

Not really fresh news.

Not a new tool kit but for the first boxing just a reissue from the 1/32nd Revell kit with new decals.

- ref. K32001 - McDD RF-4C Phantom II - Alabama ANG 35th Anniversary Special

https://spruebrothers.com/ppdk32001-1-32-phantom-phreaks-models-rf-4c-phantom-ii-alabama-ang-35th-anniversary-special/

Ā 

Marking included:

RF-4C Phantom II of the 117th Reconnaissance Wing, Birmingham Recce Rebels, Alabama ANG 35th Anniversary Special Paint Scheme

Base kit:Ā  Revell of Germany RF-4C

Ā 

ppdk32001-83703.jpg

ppdk32001c-43245.jpg
ppdk32001d-57798.jpg
ppdk32001e-85330.jpg

ppdk32001b-79815.jpg

Ā 

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

15 hours ago, colin ritchie said:

Nice Decals - Shame about the plastic as I think I've said somewhere beforeĀ 

Ā 

I dunno. I sold a Revell in the NestlĆ© Caramac-coloured plastic a couple of years ago and deeply regret it now: the nose parts and forward lower fuselage parts can be successfully spliced onto a Tamiya F-4E fuselage with just a bit of surgery.Ā 

But at $99 + postage this offering is a bit too rich for me. I wonder if Revell will repop the kit for about half that.Ā 

Ā 

Seems the Sprue Bros/Phantom Phanatics new tool stuff has disappeared off the scope.Ā 

Ā 

TonyĀ 

I was going to wait to build a Spey 70s camouflaged Phantom a few years ago when I read about a new "supposed" 1/32 kit from HK.......but then I thought sod it I'll build up the Revell/Hasegawa 1/48th kit which I had in my stash instead as judging by other kit manufacturers it could be years away if at all. Ā  Thank god I did otherwise I wouldn't have a Spey now and same with the Mig 25 from Avante Garde which has never appeared. Ā  Ā Ok I built the Kittyhawk kit which has plenty of faults (I wish the ICM kit was available back when I started the KH kit) but because I've built many other kits in between I'm glad I've at least got something. Ā  We'd be waiting forever for these kits otherwise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

I was going to wait to build a Spey 70s camouflaged Phantom a few years ago when I read about a new "supposed" 1/32 kit from HK.......but then I thought sod it I'll build up the Revell/Hasegawa 1/48th kit which I had in my stash instead as judging by other kit manufacturers it could be years away if at all. Ā  Thank god I did otherwise I wouldn't have a Spey now and same with the Mig 25 from Avante Garde which has never appeared. Ā  Ā Ok I built the Kittyhawk kit which has plenty of faults (I wish the ICM kit was available back when I started the KH kit) but because I've built many other kits in between I'm glad I've at least got something. Ā  We'd be waiting forever for these kits otherwise.

Ā 

It's an issue of preferred scale (i.e. 1/32) for many, but I agree with you: 1/48 is offering better choice, accuracy, immediacy and marginally better affordability.

Ā 

I don't know what Sprue Bros are up to with its 1/32 F-4 CAD, nor HKM with its seemingly shelved 1/32 Spey Toom, but I'm hoping that Airfix will follow-up its 1/48 Buccaneer with an FG.1/FGR.2 of commensurate quality, accuracy and finesse and Tamiya enlarge its J79 Phantom series beyond the F-4B to the J etc. Both those possibilities are realistic, and we have the Tamiya Phantom B and Airfix Bucc to be getting on with.Ā 

Ā 

Yes, sometimes it pays to just get on with it. I bought several 1/48 Kitty Hawk Voodoos before the firm folded (although I believe Trumpeter have bought the tooling and may be repopping KH kits sometime soon, but don't hold your breath), and have stocked up on 1/48 Revellogawa Spey Tooms and resin inlets to fatten my shelves with, knowing the 1/32 Phantom pipe dreams are largely fantasy. However, I will find the time and money if Sprue Brothers really do put out a new tool 1/32 F-4.Ā 

Ā 

TonyĀ Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• 2 months later...

Thank you oldcrow.

Nice to hear that this new Turkish model brand (related to BabibiĀ  Model ?) 1/32nd F-4 family project is going on.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=195774772614227

Ā 

Bab.png

Ā 

First boxing is now scheduled for Summer 2023.

In your link are also the first pictures from the test shots/parts.

Ā 

314428870-10159310579863335-895994607557

Ā 

313194975-10159310590473335-338465952482

Ā 

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Corky said:

Unfortunately the link doesn't work or the information has been removed...?

Ā 

1 minute ago, Corky said:

Unfortunately the link doesn't work or the information has been removed...?

Maybe because its a private group.....

Just now, oldcrow said:

Phantom Builder FB page is probably not public. You can't see the post if you are not a member of the page.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Source:Ā https://www.facebook.com/groups/215551215532252/posts/1613385535748806Ā 

Ā 

Look what I just received.....A new tool F-4, first sprue test shots. Coming early next year a 1/32 F-4B......WOW. Just when I swore off 32nd scale Phantoms, it will start all over again....I'll provide more information as it becomes available.

Ā 

316125770-3337420299814645-4396327836915

316099205-3337420309814644-1293874792202

Ā 

315904938-3337420326481309-6498477022571

Ā 

316100935-3337420426481299-8785134746218

Ā 

316170452-3337420453147963-8753310238431

Ā 

316254080-3337420473147961-6679902568156

Ā 

316134754-3337420549814620-4475762522679

Ā 

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I've got 10 (I think) completed 1/32 F-4s scattered around the house, and because of that I swore off big F-4s years ago , but you know I might just feel the urge to start up the production line again having studied those pics - ah well never mind F-4B have the best colour schemes!

• Like 1

Thanks for posting Homebee. I like those wheel hubs, which means separate tyres and easier painting and, even more importantly, the promised F-4B.Ā 

It's starting to look like it's really going to happen. USS Coral Sea 1971, here we come.

Ā 

Tony

Producer name unveiled "Red Pill Models"

Source:Ā https://www.facebook.com/groups/215551215532252/posts/1618949011859125

Ā 

1/32 (New Tool kit from "Red Pill Models") F-4B test sprue review part 3: Ejection Seats. I assembled the seats from the test shot sprues I was asked to review and was absolutely impressed with how well it went together. Parts (there are 12 parts for each seat) are well detailed and the fit was perfect. I compared to the Tamiya F-4E seats and these are so much nicer.

Not quite resin quality as far as tiny details but for an injection plastic kit they are quite amazing. The details on the ejection grab handles were the one detail that got a "wow" out of me. Could not have been any better. The result is a sharp looking MB MK-7 seat. I'm hoping that the new F-4B kit will have seats accurate for the "B" version (early MB MK H5 seats). These here are obviously H7s. I'm anxious now to see more of this kit and look forward to a full build review. More to come.

Ā 

Seats.png

317681552-3344032255820116-5260456483239

Ā 

316960845-3344019189154756-1057023405251
Ā 

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...