1/48 Tamiya P-47D Razor - an abandoned project finished

This Tamiya 1/48 P-47D was a storage queen.  Construction of this kit began more than 10 years ago. Soon after starting, I broke off the tail wheel, lower fuel tank and sway braces.  Silvering affected many of the decals, especially the national insignia.  Unhappy with the results, I shelved the partially built model for many years.  I could not get motivated enough to fix the broken sway braces, strip off the decals and reapply them.  This project survived the cut when I disposed of most of my model collection years ago.  The model and parts were eventually boxed up and survived a number of moves and long term storage.

Recently, I resolved to finish or dispose of my collection of started and abandoned projects, starting with those nearest to completion.  This OOB P-47D was first in the queue with what I thought would be the least effort to finish.  After a few hours of tedious masking and painting, most of the silvering was gone.  Some remained, but I no longer had the will to do more.  The sway braces were fabricated and the fuel tank replaced.  The cockpit canopy was masked and painted.  After some touch-up painting and an application of matte varnish, the model was done.  Looks good from a few feet away.  A model for our current personal standoff distance.

Thank you for taking the time to look.  Now on to the older 1/48 Hellcat II project!

Don

P1010430.jpg

P1010428.jpg

P1010431.jpg

P1010432.jpg

P1010436.jpg

• Like 56
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful outcome on your Razorback. Your decals look perfect, no signs of any remaining silvering that I can see.  The penguin mascot on the compound curved nacelle is particularly well done.

Sometimes it really helps to walk away from a troubled build for a few days (or a few years!)

17 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Nice to see I'm off your shelf of doom.

Looking great as well. Good save.

@Abandoned Project Thank you for the kindness.  And you're not released just yet.  I posted my next project in the WIP.  A 1/48 BPF Hellcat conversion.  This one is really old.

Don

• Like 1

Thank everyone for their kind words.  The model looks okay as long as you don't look too close.  I spent a few hours with airbrush and stencils cut from 3M Safe-Release Masking Tape #2070 to paint around the decals.  All the time praying that a decal would not be lifted.  I did as much as I dared.  These are some of the scraps still on my paint bench.

20210819-142019.jpg

@don f Tidy save, there.

12 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Very clever painting. Not obviously weathered yet realistically clean. Subtle stuff.

It depends on the subject. I could show you many photos of absolutely filthy P-47s. I'm working-not-working on one which needs to look pretty hard used.

On 19/08/2021 at 09:47, Holzhamer said:

A bit hard with yourself... looks a fine P-47 model from here

It's healthy to be self-critical up to a point because it's a vital part of progression. Don't fall in love with your work until it's worthy of your affection.

13 hours ago, Ade H said:

It's healthy to be self-critical up to a point because it's a vital part of progression. Don't fall in love with your work until it's worthy of your affection.

What a guru hein? Can you precise the moment “your work” is worthy of affection? Some gold medal in a contest perhaps

• Confused 1