1/72nd Valom Vickers Wellesley, 45 Sqn, pre war 1938-39 wearing the short lived temporary desert scheme.

Hiya Folks,

Another one for the 45 Sqn collection and built alongside a 45 Sqn Blenheim wearing the same colours,..... this is the Valom 1/72nd Vickers Wellesley from the same unit wearing the pe war DD code letters and the short lived temporary desert finish,...... in which the Dark Green of the standard Temperate Land Scheme was overpainted with a Light Stone colour that soon appeared to wear off! Here are some photos depicting the scheme on real Wellesley`s,...... the first, coded DD-I is the aircraft that I chose to model,..... it may have had the unit insignia on the fin inside the standard bomber `grenade' shaped frame,..... the other are from 24 Sqn,...... all pics from my own collection;

wellesley-in-khartoum-pre-war-T-OToole-P              wellesley-L2650-EW-B-T-OToole-Photo-Coll

Wellesley-14-Sqn-1935-great-bitter-lake.

Here is the WIP;  

And here is the model,..... the base coat of Light Stone was applied using a Tamiya Rattle Can of Light Sand,..... the rest was brush painted using Humbrol acrylic Dark Earth and Black. Decals came mainly from Modeldecal generic code, serial and roundel sets;

DSCF2149-NEW.jpg

DSCF2137-NEW.jpg

DSCF2134-NEW.jpg

DSCF2138-NEW.jpg

DSCF2140-NEW.jpg

DSCF2130-NEW.jpg

DSCF2116-NEW.jpg

DSCF2123-NEW.jpg

DSCF2125-NEW.jpg

DSCF2127-NEW.jpg

DSCF2137-NEW.jpg

DSCF2132-NEW.jpg

DSCF2141-NEW.jpg

DSCF2146-NEW.jpg

DSCF2122-NEW.jpg

And the Blenheim and Wellesley together;

DSCF2144-NEW.jpg

I snapped the wing in half while making the Wellesley,..... hopefully nobody noticed!!!

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 64

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh yeah great Wellesley Tony, like it fella and looks fab next to the Blenheim.  It really show the size of the Wellesley well.

Cracking work. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,..... yeah it has a HUGE wingspan! 

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

The Wellesley looks great, Tony! Such a distinctive aeroplane.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark,... distinctive indeed,.... it is quite hard to photograph too! 

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Another absolute belter.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,..... glad you like it mate,..... I`ve also got an SD Lizzie on th go too,.... amongst other things!

16 minutes ago, Natter said:

What a mad aircraft the Wellesley was, and you have done it in the best scheme it wore.

Thanks mate,.... yeah pretty mad and I agree,....love this scheme too........  even better than the Temperate Sea Scheme one that I did! 

15 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Another fabulous build Tony. I do love the ungainly lines of the Wellesley....nothing else looks like that and it really suits the desert scheme. Great job on both models and your brush painting still leaves me in awe! 

Thanks mate,.... glad you like them both and I agree that it does suit the desert scheme,.... I couldn`t resist it! 

Cheers everybody and thanks again,

Tony,

• Like 3

Apologies Tony, I've been away from most of this Bristol stuff of late so have missed your beautiful Wellesley (and Blenheim) progress. 

Honestly mate. that's a wonderful and very convincing final result. You've captured the colours and weathering of this period perfectly. Love em both! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

You've made a super job of that Tony, it is a scheme that really suits the Wellesley & you've caught it beautifully. 👍

Steve.

Thanks Steve,.... much appreciated mate. 

43 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Apologies Tony, I've been away from most of this Bristol stuff of late so have missed your beautiful Wellesley (and Blenheim) progress. 

Honestly mate. that's a wonderful and very convincing final result. You've captured the colours and weathering of this period perfectly. Love em both! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave,.... glad you like them mate,.... I know you like 45 Sqn! Tht is very kind of you. 

21 hours ago, TheOxley said:

Wow… sweet build

Thanks mate,.

18 hours ago, Giampiero Piva said:

Great build and camo. I build Luftwaffe WWII aircraft only, but I like to see these old fashioned aircraft.

Cheers

Giampiero

Thanks mate,.... yeah the early camo`s are quite interesting.

16 hours ago, Solvent Parrot said:

Superb and like someone already said above that's some very smart brush painting. Would love to get my camo lines that sharp.  👍

Thanks mate,..... glad you like the brush work,..... its just loads of practice and if I don`t paint for a while I get rusty. 

14 hours ago, warhawk said:

Looks fantastic, good job on a favorite exotic of mine.

I plan to use this model as a reference for my future Desert Welly.

Thanks mate,.... glad it will be of use. 

11 hours ago, Herrick said:

Super build. It was huge for a single engined plane!

Cheers mate,.... ... it sure was,..... especially that massive wingspan.

11 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Yest another masterpiece. It helps that I like the subject matter too.

Wow thanks Eric,.... I wouldn`t go that far, but yeah,.... I suppose we are both biased with the subject.

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Ah the footprints made me laff. Nice model.

Thanks mate,.... yeah they are strange,.... but with that geodetic framework it must have been really easy to put your foot right through the fabric if you strayed from the framework. Good game when you`ve had a few jars too!!  

Lovely work Tony - she sure was a strange looking hulk, but the Light Stone is a lovely looking scheme (particularly next to the Blenheim!)

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

I've always had a soft spot for the Wellelsley. It's range performance was phenomenal for its time - sort of a pre war Martin WB-57. 

I also like the idea that the two geodesics based designs produced by Vickers were both named after the same person - Arthur Wellesley.

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 2