Lincolnshire Ghost, 1/72nd Fujumi Phantom FGR2, 41 Sqn Finished

Mr T

I note that so far there has not been a Spey powered Phantom in the GB (although I am sure there will be many) so my contribution is in the form of a Fujumi FGR2 that has been in the stash far too long. The kit dates from 1989 and still looks good today I reckon. I plan on a virtually out of the box build with a closed canopy and I reckon the cockpit detail in the kit  will be sufficient. Surface detail is very good, and it seems to have been a well regarded kit.

My plan is to build an aircraft of 41 Squadron so that I can fit the EMI Recon pod, and it will be finished in the Grey-Green scheme that always suited the Phantom. The decals I intend using in at least part are from and old Modeldecal sheet. I tried a decal from the sheet that had been partially cut up, and it seemed to work fine, not bad for something over 40 years old.

The actual airframe, might be the one on the sheet, but I really fancy doing XV499 that was subject of this training film 

I have plenty of serial numbers on various Modeldecal sheets and just need to sort out a white outlined red 'O'. XV499 was also featured in the BBC 1974 programme 'Skywatch' when she was in the hands of 6 Squadron and appeared at the Jubilee review of 1977 with 92 Squadron. Her front fuselage still survives in Wales. Pics of kit and some of my references are below, I have a couple of other books and magazines I have not shown.

51387160694_19ee673ef2_c_d.jpg

51385665257_50dd1868c1_c_d.jpg

51386422381_8dec989f89_c_d.jpg

I will start the kit when I have moved a couple of other kits along. The Bristol Freighter for the Bristol GB is demanding attention, partly on account of its size

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 11

I have a couple or six of the Fujimi FG.1's and FGR.2's in the stash, mine are the original issue as the airbrakes are not separate and there were certainly no vinyl tyres in the kit, same decals though. :winkgrin:

I thought the surface detail and engraved panel lines were better than the new Airfix Phantom.

• Like 2

I have about six or seven in the stash and I think this is the only one with the vinyl tyres and separate flaps. I have one with the same markings with a catalogue number of H9 and this kit is H20. The surface detail is much finer than the Airfix kit, which is probably why I only bought one. 

• 1 month later...

I have not forgotten about this group build, it is just that the O2 has taken up more of my modelling time than I thought it would. I have been doing some work and the fuselage is together now. It  has needed no filler, apart from a bit where there is an attachment scar from the runner. The undercarriage and other white bits have been painted, and the wings are together. There is a lot of white on a Phantom, even a camouflaged one. 

Weapons fit will be two Sparrows, the Airfix recce pod as the Fujumi one is too small and wing tanks. One will become the photo flash pod.

51503489638_51dc53224e_c_d.jpg

51504189065_3eed2c5c1f_c_d.jpg

My aim by the weekend is to have the airframe together as we are going away for a week.

• Like 5

I managed to have a couple of good sessions with the Phantom  and after getting the lower front fuselage and intakes in place, the wing went on yesterday. Not a bad fit, although one side needed a plastic card shim. This is a really nice kit and so far has been fairly straightforward.

51512347031_afba097c5f_c_d.jpg

F4M 07

Looking at the 'Oversight' video, 499 had the outer wing strengthening plates found in the kit.

The other job I have done is convert the port side drop tank to the flash pod configuration. This was accomplished with some sanding to flatten where the flash apertures will be. These areas were overlaid with some thin clear sheet that was cemented on with UV setting adhesive and then cut and sanded to fit. The air intake at the rear was made from suitably shaped plastic rod. Probably not completely accurate, but I don't think it will  look too bad once painted.

51512347226_f1eeaed514_c_d.jpg

More to come after my holiday.

• Like 3

Hi,

this is looking great and moving along at a fair clip.

Was just re-reading this morning a very old Scale Aircraft Modelling from December 2014 (yes we are pretty short on reading material here!!!) where the same kit was analyzed/built.

The guy did mention the great fit, etc....

In comparison, my Fujimi F-4B, produced, I believe a few years before, really sucks, as far as fit and details are concerned. Damn!

So you are lucky, and that is the (small) price I have to pay to have a F-4B.

Great job, and have fun!

JR

• Thanks 1

Thanks, there will be a gap for a week or so as we are on holiday. I have most of the bits and pieces cleaned up and painted so that I can concentrate on the airframe, a slower build at first, but then it accelerates and means I am more likely to finish the kit. 

Just sitting in unseasonably sunshine and warmth, having a coffee and scone at Goodrich near Ross on Wye

• Like 2

Thanks. I had intended to spend part of the day on my Group Builds, as the Phantom is nearly at the stage where it can be primed. 

However, virtually all day was spent at the LGI whilst having a nose bleed sorted out. I never realised how rubbish daytime TV is. Glad I had a couple of books on my phone. Off to bed for an early night.

• Sad 1

Thanks, but just spent 13 1/2 hours back at the LGI when my nose set off again. Been told no strenuous exercise or heavy lifting. I wonder what I can do to fill the time, 🤔🛩️🖌️

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Been told no strenuous exercise or heavy lifting. I wonder what I can do to fill the time

I can think of just the thing! :D.

(I wasn't sure whether to commiserate or laugh, both probably!)

Take care!

• Thanks 1

Thanks, a bit of light modelling should be just the thing I reckon. Don't know if rubbing down the joints around the intake will count as strenuous exercise (and why does any Phantom I have ever built need work there, despite my best efforts?), but the two Sparrows I am going to add are at the stage where they can have the bands around them which I can do while putting decals on the Cessna O2 I am building for the High Wing GB. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been a little while since I have posted on here, but I have not been idle. The Phantom has been painted and all the stencil decals have been put on and since the photo, the serials have been added. The U/C, missiles and fuel tanks have been painted and decalled. Just the national markings and squadron badges, and then the bits can be added. The stencilling was a lengthy piece of work as the Phantom is covered in them and looks naked without a goodly selection

51655447820_8d5dd6e39d_c_d.jpg

51654810173_7036440705_c_d.jpg

• Like 8

Yes thanks, life is back to normal, whatever that means. The Phantom has taken me far longer than I expected, but its getting there. 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

The Phantom has taken me far longer than I expected, but its getting there.

Ditto, but you're ahead of me. Complicated bu**ers, going to to be touch and go whether I get mine done.

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Yes thanks, life is back to normal, whatever that means.

Can't remember normal, wasn't that a few years ago? :D

But very good that you're better!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mr T changed the title to Lincolnshire Ghost, 1/72nd Fujumi Phantom FGR2, 41 Sqn Finished