Avro Vulcan underside markings

Timmas

Can anyone let me know please what colour the markings were on the underside of antiflash Vulcans? I think they were pale blue but Airfix appear to have have created theirs in pink.

Can anyone clarify for me please?

Many thanks

The markings should fall into two main groups, those relating to routine servicing and maintenance which should be pale blue, and those warning of danger or hazards which should be pale red.  Unfortunately I'm a bare minimum of 5 hours away from my kits (with no chance of seeing them before Saturday week) so I can't presently check to see exactly what Airfix have done but I'm sure there'll be an @Adam Poultney along shortly to elucidate for us.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stever219 said:

The markings should fall into two main groups, those relating to routine servicing and maintenance which should be pale blue, and those warning of danger or hazards which should be pale red.  Unfortunately I'm a bare minimum of 5 hours away from my kits (with no chance of seeing them before Saturday week) so I can't presently check to see exactly what Airfix have done but I'm sure there'll be an @Adam Poultney along shortly to elucidate for us.

Thanks stever219. I'm referring to the servicing and maintenance notices (stencils) which JohnT has clarified above.

20 hours ago, JohnT said:

I think Tlm is referring to the stencils which are all pink bar one or two on the Airfix sheet

Thanks John, that is what I meant...but hadn't worded it terribly well 😬

3 hours ago, Timmas said:

Thanks stever219. I'm referring to the servicing and maintenance notices (stencils) which JohnT has clarified above.

Thanks Timmas, glad it's all sorted.

Edited by stever219
Fat fingers
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, stever219 said:

Thanks Timmas, glad it's all sorted.

Er not quite. Having spoken with Tim we are really still not sure if Airfix got the colours wrong on their decal sheet. Almost all the stencils are in anti flash “pink”. 

On 18/08/2021 at 16:25, stever219 said:

I’m sure you are right there and that certainly makes sense but then Airfix have presumably boobed and replacement stencils might be called for?  Or are Airfix right after all despite what we might think?? I am guessing they have some reason to colour print they way they have. 
It would be nice to see a specification or order for paint or even a colour photo confirming it one way or the other :hmmm:

• Like 1

I've found a set of Flightpath antiflash decals and the stencils for the undersides are predominantly pale blue (for maintenance etc) as mentioned by stever219. I must admit that this is what I thought was the case.

However, I've done an online search for photos and have come across two pics of Corgi antiflash Vulcans. One of them is a conventional bomber and has pink stencils and the other is a Blue Steel model with them in pale blue! Corgi is of course part of Hornby as is Airfix...

Screen-Shot-2021-08-19-at-19-07-00.png

Screen-Shot-2021-08-19-at-19-06-50.png

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2021 at 12:28, Timmas said:

I think we've got this sorted. @robvulcan has been in touch with a load of invaluable info on these, and other Vulcan markings.

Very many thanks Rob. You're an absolute star mate! :thumbsup:

Welcome it’s a very variable thing each airframe was different and it’s hard to ever be sure as mostly photos is all we have but they could be red yellow pink blue pale blue or not applied. So the best solution is just do them all and let the modeller decide I guess. I find sometimes these details make a model look like they are trying  to hard to be real and end up looking not so real as they are hardly visible in reality mostly. But it’s nice to have all the same.

decals these days albeit well printed to me look far to vivid in shade.

but that’s just me.

This is my first post on here in far far to long.

I think I best get back to it. It’s been to long.

Cheers Rob :) 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, robvulcan said:

I find sometimes these details make a model look like they are trying  to hard to be real and end up looking not so real as they are hardly visible in reality mostly. But it’s nice to have all the same.

decals these days albeit well printed to me look far to vivid in shade.

but that’s just me.

That's pretty much what I'll do tbh. The way they're looking right now, they're going to be pretty pale anyway due to the lightness of the ink shade. 🙂

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Timmas said:

That's pretty much what I'll do tbh. The way they're looking right now, they're going to be pretty pale anyway due to the lightness of the ink shade. 🙂

That sounds good. I can’t wait to do my new tool vulcan but I have plenty of the old ones to finish first.

I’d be curious to see these decals and if you can make them to different scales as I’ll be needing them in 1/144, 1/96, 1/72, and 1/200.

cheers Rob :)

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Off topic but nice to see you back Rob!

Many thanks mate good to be back .

I hope I remember to log in now. It’s been a few years and never intended to be away but I’ve not really had time to do much of anything the past few years.

hope that can change now. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, robvulcan said:

That sounds good. I can’t wait to do my new tool vulcan but I have plenty of the old ones to finish first.

I’d be curious to see these decals and if you can make them to different scales as I’ll be needing them in 1/144, 1/96, 1/72, and 1/200.

Scaling isn’t a problem. Once I’ve got them done, I’ll send you a screenshot and you can let me know which you’re after 😊 T

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Timmas said:

Scaling isn’t a problem. Once I’ve got them done, I’ll send you a screenshot and you can let me know which you’re after 😊 T

That’s awesome mate fantastic!

can’t wait to see them. Cheers 

• Like 1