Dassault Super Mystére B2...AZ Model...

John Masters

I needed to throw a jet in the mix. what with all the 109 and whatnot...1970, Cambrai...

51385463522_d67b6af79d_c_d.jpg

I'll build the box top design.  I do like that green lightning bolt and the scorpion on the rudder.

51386417033_6797a3dab5_c_d.jpg

Decals look ok and in register.  I can tell they are not as opaque as they could be.  I'll give them some white bases when and where I can, especially the roundels.

51386909044_e5fa5f6deb_c_d.jpg

Nice added bonus of some resin bits: wheels, cockpit...etc...

51386908959_002db8a9e5_c_d.jpg

I'll start in on this tonight.

--John

• Like 15

Here's a sprue shot...

Pretty simple looking kit. I think this is an older mould, so I cannot vouch for any accuracy.  It reminds me a little of the Mig-21 kit they produced a few years ago.  You'll see why.  There are options for a Pratt & Whitney engined aircraft used by the Israelis, but no decals for that so there must be an Israeli kit somewhere.

51385948737_bb17b8aae3_c_d.jpg

The resin cockpit (2 pieces) is very nice and I painted it according to the instructions.  Once the canopy is on most of it will not be seen anyway.

51386706876_34075b73d4_c_d.jpg

Resin wheels and forward bulkhead.  Where  to attach the bulkhead is a little hit or miss.  You have to do it by feel.  I ended up sanding mine down a little so the fuselage closed up cleanly on test fit.

51387713960_9f1cd4a9c2_c_d.jpg

So, you see the circle?  That is around the forward wheel well, which has to be glued into place evenly, but without any kind of guide or pin to direct you.  This was the same on a Mig-21 I built about a year or so ago.  Not so tricky, just lazy engineering, imho.  AZ Model could have easily added a groove or small step to help with placement.  Anyway...the cockpit fits cleanly as does the IP.  There is no indication of weight, so I will add a few grams in the nose anyway just to be safe.

51387713940_c1f7023ff1_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 11

Ok.  Made some headway this morning before I head off-island until Wednesday.

There are some moulding issues that need to be fixed before one can combine the wing halves into one...

There are a couple of spots like this.  Once again...memories of the Finnish Mig-21...fettling required!

51387696376_0622321fbc_c_d.jpg

Lugs...

51386935707_519c412a1e_c_d.jpg

They come together...

51388702410_a169c4ae53_c_d.jpg

No real issues here except that there are no pins and so care needs to be taken with the glue and clamps.

51387696486_ba1b1fe775_c_d.jpg

Odd little diagram...it takes a bit of finagling...

51387942813_388a713793_c_d.jpg

But one ends up with this...

51386935827_34a4b3509e_c_d.jpg

And then the 'turbine' goes on the back, like this...eyeballing again.  Some sanding was required to level off some edges.

51386935797_63d2bc6e73_c_d.jpg

And I will leave it there until I come home next week.  Some PPP will be needed. So far I find the kit easy to build and I am already looking forward to seeing it next to some other jets of the era.

--John

• Like 12

Looks like you've got a butt join wings to fuselage, a bit like the Hi-Tech [ ??? ] Mystere 1VA I'm in the process of cobbling together.

Will you pin it or rely on adhesive. My thoughts go towards two part epoxy as I've had little success getting pinning accurate.

Following with interest.

Rog

Thanks @roginoz.  I have the same issue with pins.  Epoxy gets messy (for me at least).  I might try ‘pinning’ with CA and then filling the gap with thin Tamiya model cement.  I find it runs into the gaps and works well.  Then PPP to finish.  The mouldings have excellent panel lines so I’ll be careful to not lose them.

• Like 1

Great plane - good work.

One note - I see on the decal sheet they put 2 scorpions... which is wrong unfortunately.

There should be a dog head on one side as shown on the box top (photo of another plane of the same unit)

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1632170

The shape of the "O" in "ZO" is also suspicious if you compare with the one on this photo

http://www.pictaero.com/fr/pictures/picture,8303

Sorry if I seem nitpicking, but Cambrai was my next door air base and the SMB2 is my favourite plane ever... especially when from the 12 Esc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hamster Volant said:

Great plane - good work.

One note - I see on the decal sheet they put 2 scorpions... which is wrong unfortunately.

There should be a dog head on one side as shown on the box top (photo of another plane of the same unit)

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1632170

The shape of the "O" in "ZO" is also suspicious if you compare with the one on this photo

http://www.pictaero.com/fr/pictures/picture,8303

Sorry if I seem nitpicking, but Cambrai was my next door air base and the SMB2 is my favourite plane ever... especially when from the 12 Esc.

Hello

Very useful information on this wonderful aircraft ... but a little bit after the 10 EC 😝

Patrick

22 minutes ago, John Masters said:

No need to apologize.  I doubt I will correct any of the flaws you mention, but thank you anyway.

Hello

I should have somewhere those unuseful Cornouaille decals from my my previous Azur FRROM builds. So if you need tell it by private message.

Patrick

Patrick has generously offered me some correct decals and so I will soldier on with this build and let it rest when it comes to that time, and await the post.

The wings are on and there are large gaps to be filled--at all the roots, not just the one I photographed.  And the underside is wider.  But that is ok!  The previous comment about pinning/ epoxy from @roginoz will come into play.  Once the CA 'pins' are set, I'll seep in some Tamiya Thin Cement.  When that is done, PPP will ill the gaps.  That should make for a secure wing root!

I think it's looking very much the part so far...

51401220792_b3b043a40f_c_d.jpg

There is a slight anhedral to the wings.  Not as much as a Mig-19, but it's there.  Nice panel detail btw...

Gap city...

51401220877_3742d164c7_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 12

Thanks @stevehnz and Craig @modelling minion...

I have]masked the canopy and added it.  It needed some PPP around the edges.

The wing roots have been glued again, then PPP'd, then some more glue and I hope it sets fully overnight.  

51403090642_a3516a677e_c_d.jpg

I have added the hard-points and the two gun barrels...I think they're guns.  Anyway...there are no whiz bangs or drop tanks in the kit so I will leave the hard-points empty.

51404581519_6f0bd33d2b_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

Post-primer, I will be filling some gaps and I will try to do something about that seam running the length of the aircraft.  After that I will stop for a week or so (sigh...) and wait for the post from France.  I will start something else in the GB, however!

51404191101_c682e5c6aa_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 9

5 hours ago, zebra said:

That’s a heck of a seam to deal with!

Ultimately I may decide not to look at the underside of the aircraft.

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Thats a pretty nasty gap

Very.  Thankfully it is underneath! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...