Tamiya 1/350th , Prince of Wales. Box contents?

bugle

Never built a ship kit before.

So just bought a Tamiya 1/350th POW kits

As usual with any kit i do a check of contents against manual.

With the POW kits all is there apart from TWEEZERS that is listed up with hull and decals.

I am not worried about them being missing,if that is the case even. More curious to know if they was and when it stopped or was they metal even?

I have the recent boxing (78011) of the Tamiya 1/350 Prince of Wales and it doesn't have tweezers with it either. FWIW, the Japanese copy of the instructions do not include tweezers in the parts list, only the English version does.

Dave

Huh. None of mine have tweezers.

@bugle it's no trouble to me at all if it's of no interest to you, but if it is of interest what I'm about to say is infinitely more useful to you before you've built it rather than afterwards. The paint guide in the kit is an absolute train crash.

If you want to build the ship in overall grey, there are a few detail differences in weapons etc but it's not "Royal Light Grey" or whatever Tamiya said - HMS Prince of Wales wore Admiralty Pattern 507A Dark Grey, Home Fleet Shade (often abbreviated to Home Fleet Grey) from commissioning until refit following the Battle of Denmark Strait. Furthermore, here's a timeline from the logs of her painting so if you have ideas of rusty weathering etc you can compare to this:

February 1941 - in Rosyth and again cleaning and maintaining ship.

4th March 1941 - washing paintwork

5th, 7th, 10th, 11th, 12th and 14th March 1941 crew painting ship. This was all whilst in Rosyth so HFG.

April 1941 - Scapa and cleaning and maintaining.

7th May 1941 - crew staining the deck and painting the decks. (note therefore the decks were not bare wood during the Bismarck action, they were darkened in line with standing orders)

8th May 1941 - crew staining the deck.

19th May 1941 - crew washing the paintwork.

20th and 21st May - crew painting ship. (Again HFG, but interesting that both Hood and PoW went to the Denmark Strait freshly painted.)

For the Admiralty Disruptive Pattern camouflage worn from August until December 1941, here is the only known colour image of HMS Prince of Wales, which you can compare to the fruit-salad of weird random colours on the Tamiya guide.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0730/0927/files/PoW_August_1941_Gibraltar.jpg?v=1647250085

If it helps, with a lot of help and dozens of pages of debate on another forum prior to months off forums in group email, the collective wit and most up-to-date research on what paint colours the RN actually used led to this. Is it 100% accurate? It would take a bolder man than me to claim so, but it's miles more credible than anything else produced to date by anyone else.

HMS_Prince_of_Wales_Dec41.jpg?v=16143283

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2