Hasegawa F-16C in Desert Storm experimental camo with Hi-decal markings.

A month to go & plenty of time, right? I've been humming & harring about this for a bit & decided a couple of days ago to make a move. I'd already taken an intro shot.

DSCF3232

I've got as far as painting the cockpit, putting on the cockpit decals, some white paint into the intake & bulkheads glued into the main gear wells. Nearly ready to put the fuselage together. 

Meant to come back to this post to include the decals I'll be using & the progress up to then. Here now. 22/08.

DSCF3234

Steve.

• Like 3

A very good choice Steve. I have made this in 1/72 and have the markings from "Afterburner" to do one in 1/48th at some point in the future. These decals also come with a better instruction sheet if you require it.

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2021 at 2:27 AM, Jabba said:

These decals also come with a better instruction sheet if you require it.

The Hi-decals sheet seems OK to me but if you don't mind sharing the Afterburner one I'd be keen to see it. A quick furkle around didn't show anything to me. I'll pm my email address. Thanks.

Steve.

welcome along Steve.... and yes there is still plenty of time.

That's a really interesting scheme, I haven't seen that one before, she will look a bit different in it.

Good luck with the build.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mungo, @Jabba shared them with me too but they don't mention the standard colours, expecting one to know them I guess & basically that is so, I'm ok for the fuselage grays but the radome appears darker than any linked to. Mig colour said their 205 shade which is their colour for Fs 26321 is an equivalent to BS 638 which is Dark Sea grey which is about Humbrol 164 so maybe this is a start point for me, somewhere close is Ok by me taking into account fading, weathering etc.

Steve.

The major bit of the airframe together now, & some paint started.

DSCF3240

The first coat of underside colour on now, Testors 1728, Light Ghost grey, a bit hard to see in this photo.

DSCF3239

I've learnt a couple of things about F-16s so far with this kit. They are not poorly fitting kit parts at the rear of the boundary layer diverter but ECS intakes. They're now chiseled out again.  :D & the next time I build one of these, I'll paint the boundary layer diverter area before I fit the front intake body. My first F-16, was a wrap around scheme & so I didn't have a hassle in this area.

DSCF2785

That was a previous F-16GB, about 4 years ago from memory.

Steve.

• Like 3

Your wish is my command Rich. :D  Not very impressive but first coat of the paler colour, pretty scungey looking as now but hopefully better with another coat or two. The underside has had a couple of coats but there is the inevitable tidy up, the boundary layer diverter area had me doing yoyo touch ups, top, bottom top, I'll get there in the end & paint this area before assembly in subsequent F-16s. :think:

DSCF3250

A bit washed out by flash too, on my tv dinner tray sized table. :( :) 

Steve.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Oh please do that grubby post-removal scheme! It's far more interesting. 

I'll leave that one to those who like to weather their birds. I doubt I could make it look other than a mess. :(

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

I been fiddling with paint. Noting that the photos that @mungo1974 has posted above show a fairly soft edged demarcation between the two trial colours on the upper surfaces, I figured to try & represent this on my example. Not being an air brusher, I resorted to stippling/scrubbing on a thinned mix of the darker colour. Two coats in, I'm reasonably pleased with it. There will be some more in the inner areas of the darker patches, some tidying up & maybe some counter stippling of the pale shade but I think I'm heading for something that will look enough like what I'm trying to represent to keep me happy.

DSCF3264

Steve.

• Like 9

use airbrushes sen to forget how much work it was with the old hairystick for doing stuff like this. I still have a couple from the old days in one of the brush jars..... and yes I do still use it on occasions, it's lasted nearly 50 years!!  and prob still in better condition than me!  :clif:

It's looking great, keep up the nice work! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

There has been progress, pretty much ready for some decals & then the sticking on of the breaky off bits & i'll put up the finished item later today our time hopefully. Here is a quick & dirty snap to be going on with. Just noticed the spot on the left wing, a bit of Lead Belcher from the refueling hatch by the look of it, that'll have to go. :( The canopy not stuck down yet, I still want to try some tinting on this but that might have to be after the GB closes, its a time thing. There will be a little person to go in there too, the cockpit need a bit more in it.

DSCF3266

Steve

• Like 2

Several hours later, I'm calling it done, at least for now, there is still a few small touch ups to do but they will hold till tomorrow when I can get some decently (ish) lit photos for the gallery. Here is a few to be going on with. The wee man (or women, there have been quite a few female F-16 pilots in most nationalities that have operated it) was unhappy about being made to sit in, claiming their make up was incomplete, <_< I'll see what I can do about that, but canopy still just sitting in place. 

DSCF3276

DSCF3274

DSCF3273

DSCF3277

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
Replaced original photos with better lit ones & added close up of cockpit area.
  • Like 5

Well done Steve, she looks awesome in that scheme. :thumbsup:

I've had a couple of crew complain before about pay 7 working conditions..... found the easiest way wa to glue the canopy shut on them...... can't hear the complaints any more! :D

I really do like this scheme, definitely not one you'd expect on and F-16, more likely to see it on a Soviet one.

Well thanks for joining us here, I hope you enjoyed the build, was a real pleasure to have you along.

• Haha 1

Thanks Rich & everyone else who has encouraged & helped with references, a really good GB some brilliant builds & a lot of fun from my point of view though I was getting a bit stenciled out yesterday, goodness knows how I'll cope with an F-4. :unsure: :( .The finished photos now in the Gallery.

Steve.