Mark's Model Project Parts - Vulcan Olympus Engine Fronts

FZ6

I started learning CAD and bought a 3D printer last year so I could design parts I needed to scratch build for my modelling projects and really got into it. @Mike has kindly allowed me access to the 3D Makerspace so I can offer parts I've designed for my own projects to fellow Britmodellers who may find them of interest.

The first item I'm offering for sale is a set of Olympus engine fronts for those of you who want to build your model without the FOD covers and would like to see something more detailed down the air intakes. I started this because the Airfix Vulcan includes optional parts for the Olympus 201 and 301 exhausts but only include the fronts for the 301. After designing the 201 parts and being really pleased with them, I designed some optional more detailed 301 parts a well.

Here are the CAD Drawings.

51344114298_9dd5dcf231_c.jpg

Olympus 201 Engines Airfix Vulcan by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

51372057711_85a5e79d9e_c.jpg

Vulcan 301 by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

The parts contain the engine fronts, stators, turbine blades and a neat little holder that slides over the intake and holds the parts in place. I've designed the parts with minimal supports and they will just require the back to be sanded off on some of the parts a bit like a traditional resin part.

Here are the parts as they will be supplied

51386050973_47e7c7d1f6_c.jpg

Vulcan Engine Parts by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

The 201 Engine Parts Cleaned up and dry fitted

51386050693_558f870cc2_c.jpg

201 Engines Assembled by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

The 301 Engine Parts Cleaned up and dry fitted with the kit part for comparison

51386542374_98f78c67b6_c.jpg

301 Engines Assembled by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

A view of how the holder slides over the intake. Some sanding of either this part or the kit plastic will be required where it touches the bomb bay.

51386542664_273fa53782_c.jpg

Vulcan Intakes by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

How they look when fitted to the intakes

51385803526_a563f85af7_c.jpg

Vulcan 201 in intakes by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

51386542579_64b001cd19_c.jpg

Vulcan 301 in intakes by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

If anyone is interested in purchasing a set, I'm selling them for £12 posted in the UK if you want 201 or 301 engines or £15 if you've not decided what engines you'd like to build and would like the choice of engine fronts. Overseas postage will be at cost.

Please PM me for details.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 9

I already have a set of each of the engines from Mark and they are jewel-like after some (very) light sanding to remove the backing excess to give that correct3D look; the difference when looking down the intake is night and day.

Cheap as chips for what they are and the QC is great with Mark being a stickler for accuracy and details and a top bloke to deal with. 

Buy with 100% confidence!

Gary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got our review sample this morning, and finally had a chance to have a look this evening.  Spent 10 minutes sanding the backs off a few parts, and they fit nicely and look great.  Look out for our full review soon. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I got our review sample this morning, and finally had a chance to have a look this evening.  Spent 10 minutes sanding the backs off a few parts, and they fit nicely and look great.  Look out for our full review soon. :yes:

Thanks Mike, Look forward to hearing how you get on with them.

21 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Definitely interested. Will either fit the older Airfix Vulcan kit as well?

I bought an old tool airfix vulcan in the late 1990s from Beatties and wasn't happy with my assembly so I have torn it apart ready for detailing and converting to a 201 Airframe using Freightdog conversion parts. With the new Vulcan out I was tempted to bin it but can't go through with that so will attempt to finish it and for that I do need Engine fronts for the 201 engines as I plan to do the all white 617 sqn option and with that in mind coupled with your interest, I've started to design this holder to fit the old kit which will need some fine tuning to ensure it fits but is about there.

51390019219_554a37793e_c.jpg

Old Airfix 201 by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

I'll keep you updated about when it is ready.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FZ6 said:

With the new Vulcan out I was tempted to bin it but can't go through with that so will attempt to finish it and for that I do need Engine fronts for the 201 engines as I plan to do the all white 617 sqn option and with that in mind coupled with your interest, I've started to design this holder to fit the old kit which will need some fine tuning to ensure it fits but is about there.

Excellent!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Gonna throw an @Adam Poultney here in case he might be interested ? 

I already have a sample which @FZ6very kindly sent to me, they'll be going in my third new tool Vulcan when I get around to building a third which will definitely have Olympus 201/202s. They look to be absolutely top quality.

No idea what scheme or anything will be on build 3, so far the only criteria I have decided on is the earlier engines; I've still got to finish my first and second ones yet.

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Definitely interested in both sets, given that the new Airfix kit has finally made it to the colonies ...

Any chance you might consider doing a set of intakes and ducting for a B.1/1a?

On 05/06/2022 at 02:20, Admiral Puff said:

Any chance you might consider doing a set of intakes and ducting for a B.1/1a?

Also applicable to the first 10 B2s, I'd be very interested. Flightpath are remastering their conversion for the new kit but it won't contain intakes

• Like 1