1/72 DH Venom FB Mk.4 - AccsGB

Pete57

According to AGB there is a delay in delivery to them in the UK as there were errors in the decals. "The first batch of decals came completely wrong, so we had to order the reprint."

Delivery from AGB would commence 17th of January. Beware if you order from Ukraine... 

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any word on price, as they're on eBay now - in the Ukraine - and the chancers are asking 30 notes!  That's before the twenty notes for postage...  Sex and travel spring to mind.

Suddenly the several Aeroclub ones I have salted away look vastly more appealing...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

Is there any word on price, as they're on eBay now - in the Ukraine - and the chancers are asking 30 notes!  That's before the twenty notes for postage...  Sex and travel spring to mind.

Suddenly the several Aeroclub ones I have salted away look vastly more appealing...

Aviation Megastore appears to have them with a provisional price of €29.70. Assuming that a straight € to £ 'conversion' occurs, that does seem a little steep; I'll still get one, but suspect that my thoughts of having a flight's worth of Venoms will be put aside unless/until Airfix produce one for about a tenner less than that (they could, after all, get a decent number of boxings out of a Venom, as discussed before)

Special Hobby had a low level project on the go over a year or more back. I wonder if that is is still ongoing.  The CMR Venoms are not far off this price, £30 being rather high for a very small 1/72 kit even if it is a limited run. Still, I'll probably get one when Hannants get them in.

On 12/28/2021 at 6:04 AM, Branky said:

According to AGB there is a delay in delivery to them in the UK as there were errors in the decals. "The first batch of decals came completely wrong, so we had to order the reprint."

Delivery from AGB would commence 17th of January. Beware if you order from Ukraine... 

Wonder what’s wrong with the decals? My two kits are on their way from Ukraine. Probably nothing that can’t be remedied from the CMR and Eurodecals in my possession but it would be nice to know what the problem is.

4 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

Wonder what’s wrong with the decals? My two kits are on their way from Ukraine. Probably nothing that can’t be remedied from the CMR and Eurodecals in my possession but it would be nice to know what the problem is.

Looking at the pictures on ebay, I think the white is missing from the fin flashes.

I'm not sure whether it is missing from the roundels as well, but it is easier to compare the colour between the fin flashes and the backing sheet.

If that is what it is / all that it is, nothing that can't be addressed with aftermarket decals or an undercoat of white paint.

Jonathan.

20 hours ago, Stilwell said:

I think the white is missing from the fin flashes.

Is the wrong answer, having received the Suez boxing this afternoon. The decal printing looks in register, and unless some of the markings are incorrectly sized, or they are lacking opacity, I can't see an obvious problem. But then, I haven't put any in water yet.

Jonathan.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my two about a week ago from the e bay seller in Ukraine. Paid $32.95 each. Without bothering to do the currency conversions, it seems like a somewhat better price. Shipping was a little better too, at least to the USA.

Noticed a thank you to the late and missed Mel Bromley of S&M Models in the acknowledgments. I wonder............

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I picked one of these up at the Bovington show yesterday. As already mentioned this is a fairly expensive kit for it size, however I firmly believe that cost is a matter best settled between the individual, their bank manager.

I was really excited to hear we were getting a new Venom its an aircraft I like and fits well with my collection, my excitement turned to joy when I saw the sprues at Telford, at last we had a new modern kit of this lovely little jet.

Having bought it I have to say I am a little disappointed with the amount of flash for a new kit, of course it can be trimmed away but for the price it's not quite good enough, when you pay a premium price you should get a premium product.

I would liken the quality to a newer A model kit, when looking past the flash and the heavy sprue gates it looks good, though the plastic used is fairly waxy in appearance and does not seem as good quality as the plastic used in the test shots, that said the decals are good, well registered and with good colour density, very usable.

I had hoped for more from this kit and while I had plans to buy a couple will only now probably stick with the one unless I can get another at a reasonable cost.

With all humility these are only my thoughts and of course the flash could just be on my copy I'm sure that with a little extra work the kit will look ok when finished. I hate to pour scorn on a new kit especially one I was looking forward to, as they say one man's junk is another man's treasure.

DSC_2568

DSC_2567

DSC_2569

Edited by cardiff guy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, cardiff guy said:

I picked one of these up at the Bovington show yesterday. As already mentioned this is a fairly expensive kit for it size, however I firmly believe that cost is a matter best settled between the individual, their conscious and their bank manager.

I was really excited to hear we were getting a new Venom its an aircraft I like and fits well with my collection, my excitement turned to joy when I saw the sprues at Telford, at last we had a new modern kit of this lovely little jet.

Having bought it I have to say I am a little disappointed with the amount of flash for a new kit, of course it can be trimmed away but for the price it's not quite good enough.

I would liken the quality to an A model kit, when looking past the flash and the heavy sprue gates it looks good, though the plastic used is fairly waxy in appearance and does not seem as good as the plastic used in the test shots. I had hoped for more from this kit and while I had plans to buy a couple will only now probably stick with the one unless I can get another at a reasonable cost.

With all humility these are only my thoughts and of course the flash could just be on my copy I'm sure that with a little extra work the kit will look ok when finished. I hate to pour scorn on a new kit especially one I was looking forward to, as they say one man's junk is another man's treasure.

DSC_2568

DSC_2567

DSC_2569

For that price does the kit come with chisels supplied?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

For a kit that size that's too rich for my blood. Pretty much the same price as the Airfix 1/48th Vampire.  Still, it's top of the pops on the Hannants hit parade so some people must really want a Venom.

16 hours ago, cardiff guy said:

I picked one of these up at the Bovington show yesterday.

I saw them at the show and was tempted but resisted, although I think the trader selling them had made the price as keen as he could. It was too much for me given the quality and the fact that a while back at another show, I picked up a resin CMR Venom for a couple of quid more, and content and quality wise, its light years better IMHO.

Thanks for sharing the sprue shots. I think I also would have been disappointed with the amount of flash. I did spot an old Rareplanes vacuform Venom for about £7 which in skilled hands would build up very nicely indeed.

Terry

• Like 4

I've hit the go button on my Hannants backorder. Real shame to see what appear to be production issues on this anticipated kit. Well done to ACCS-GB in getting this to market but I fear the price v quality will mean we don't see more such kits from them.

I want several Venoms, and though I have the CMR kit I don't fancy building that more than more. Looks like it will back to petitioning Airfix.

So the door seems to still be wide open for a Venom with a reasonable price and quality. Such a shame, although too expensive for me I was hoping this would be a better product than it appears to be.

Keith

On 12/28/2021 at 11:04 AM, Branky said:

Have mine and quite pleased with it. Decals look fine and  plastic is flash free. About the quality of S&M / AModel  (not always a bad thing) which is why I speculated earlier about its provenance.

• Like 1