F-111 wings, swept or spread?

Lightningboy2000

Just wondering if F-111's were ever regularly parked up with wings swept back? Looking at most completed models one usually see's them finished parked with wings spread & flaps down.

Does anyone know if that was general practice say at Lakenheath as I plan to build one from one of the squadrons with the 48th. Is it realistic to pose a parked Lakenheath based F-111 with wings swept back?

Martin

I'm not a F-111 guy, but I could imagine that it would be CG and fuel load dependent when parked.

Wing tanks full? probably need to be forward. Wing tanks relatively empty? swept back is OK.

Again, this is pure speculation on my part as a non-F-111 operator.

Cheers,

Hoops

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Just wondering if F-111's were ever regularly parked up with wings swept back? Looking at most completed models one usually see's them finished parked with wings spread & flaps down.

Does anyone know if that was general practice say at Lakenheath as I plan to build one from one of the squadrons with the 48th. Is it realistic to pose a parked Lakenheath based F-111 with wings swept back?

Martin

Martin,

Generally speaking that at RAF Lakenheath from the time I was there I never saw the wings swept back when parked in the squadron area's. The only time I saw them swept back was after they were Victor Alert prepped and towed to the alert area. The time frame was from July 1977 until I rotated out January 1980. Then the wings were swept to 56 degrees. This allowed the jet to be towed through the gates of the alert area. The alert area at RAF Lakenheath was still set for the F-4D Phantom. Before I went to RAF Lakenheath I was with the 509th Bomb Wing in New Hampshire USA. We had the FB-111A. I never saw the wings swept back there also. After I came back from England I was with the 27th Fighter Wing Cannon AFB New Mexico. Once landed and taxiing back to their parking spot the wings would be set to 56 degrees. Once in the spot the wings would be set full forward or 16 degrees. Once in a while the wings would be left at 56 degrees as seen in some of the site pictures @exdrakenlisted. At Cannon it was like that of the taxi way to the short runway as we called it for live loads. As far as the slats and flaps being left out it was up to the squadron line expediters to say yea or nah. More along the lines as what the weather was going to do.

Sorry for the long and drawn out story. So in general practice I would say no. Wings would be full forward and the slats and flaps full up. You would have to get a reply from someone that was there when the HASIII shelters were used. The shelters were beginning to be built when I left.

I try to have a reference photo or more of the jet I'm displaying to squash any debate whether fact or fiction.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Edited by f111guru
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

With the Aussie Pigs they would taxi in with wings swept back (not sure if the angle). After they stop, wings would be swept fully forward with slats and flaps down ready for the After Flight inspection.

Edit: Just realised you were asking about Lakenheath, sorry have no idea.

Edited by Jay Gee
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, f111guru said:

Martin,

Generally speaking that at RAF Lakenheath from the time I was there I never saw the wings swept back when parked in the squadron area's. The only time I saw them swept back was after they were Victor Alert prepped and towed to the alert area. The time frame was from July 1977 until I rotated out January 1980. Then the wings were swept to 56 degrees. This allowed the jet to be towed through the gates of the alert area. The alert area at RAF Lakenheath was still set for the F-4D Phantom. Before I went to RAF Lakenheath I was with the 509th Bomb Wing in New Hampshire USA. We had the FB-111A. I never saw the wings swept back there also. After I came back from England I was with the 27th Fighter Wing Cannon AFB New Mexico. Once landed and taxiing back to their parking spot the wings would be set to 56 degrees. Once in the spot the wings would be set full forward or 16 degrees. Once in a while the wings would be left at 56 degrees as seen in some of the site pictures @exdrakenlisted. At Cannon it was like that of the taxi way to the short runway as we called it for live loads. As far as the slats and flaps being left out it was up to the squadron line expediters to say yea or nah. More along the lines as what the weather was going to do.

Sorry for the long and drawn out story. So in general practice I would say no. Wings would be full forward and the slats and flaps full up. You would have to get a reply from someone that was there when the HASIII shelters were used. The shelters were beginning to be built when I left.

I try to have a reference photo or more of the jet I'm displaying to squash any debate whether fact or fiction.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Many thanks for your very helpful answer Ron. The idea is to build a few Suffolk based fighter jets, some already done, but yet to build some LN jets. Today just purchased the Hobby 2000 Desert Storm kit, so 70-2390 (shows all the squadron badges on the stbd side) will be the chosen airframe. From what you're saying that steers me towards full forward. Only just looked up this airframe on Flickr & looks like they posed the wings swept for the Mildenhall Air Fete 1991, more than likely for display purposes. 

Thanks for your help.

Martin

Martin,

I may have to get a few of the Hobby 2000 kits just to see if they are a reissue of the Hasegawa kit or have done some updates to the kit. Mind you I have a great many kits of the F-111 in my stash.

Here are some photos of 70-2390 as she sits in the Museum of The Air Force Dayton Ohio a few years back.

IMG_3352 IMG_3360 IMG_3357 IMG_3359

And 70-2390 the night before she left the 27th FW 523rd FS Cannon AFB Clovis NM to Wright-Patterson AFB Dayton OH. The year was 1995 I think. Far to many years have gone by.

F-111F-70-390-rt-tail

F-111F-70-390ltintake F-111F-70-390-rotating-glove

This last one is from the front of the weapons bay back above the Pave Tac cradle.

F-111F-actuator

Hope you enjoy these and have others as far as details go.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Edited by f111guru
  • Like 5

Superb, thanks for those walkaround photos, very helpful thanks. I have already got the Tiger Meet tailed UH kit but haven't looked & compared the two kits yet. Looks like a lot of plastic in the Hobby 2000 box.

Cheers

Martin

I was an FB-111A and KC-135A/Q mechanic at Plattsburgh AFB in the last half of the '70s, and I'll echo what @f111guru said above. When parked, even inside the hangar, the wings were almost always fully forward. Many maintenance tasks could only be performed with the wings swept forward. As far as flaps, slats and wing gloves, they were generally left closed/retracted unless maintenance needed them opened. The biggest exception was the alert aircraft, which were configured for takeoff with flaps and slats down.

Also, anytime an aircraft was parked, the engine inlet and exhaust covers and pitot covers were immediately installed and the cockpit was closed, except on those alert aircraft.

Peter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

From what I've seen, the Hobby2000 F-111 kit are reissues of the Hasegawa with cartograf decals and canopy masks. Only thing that puts me off is the price - around £50 although I did see one advertised for £42...  then again - are old Hasegawa kits going for around that price these days on ebay? It was a few years since I last bought one and won it for around £20.

From a modelling aesthetic view, I prefer to build F-111 models with wings swept forward... just think it looks better in that position 🙂 

• Like 1

Can confirm, it's Hasegawa plastic. Hobby2000 is the importer of Hase, based in Poland. 

As for prices, well.... I've seen the F-111 go from 45€ at release to 70-75€ in other places... 

I did purchase one a days or two ago. This is just to have under the Hobby 2000 name sake. I still have some dozen or more I've gathered over the last 25 years or so. I'll do the same with the F-4D. First jet to load bombs on after technical school and sent them back the the US from RAF Lakenheath to receive the F model 111.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

18 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Can confirm, it's Hasegawa plastic. Hobby2000 is the importer of Hase, based in Poland. 

As for prices, well.... I've seen the F-111 go from 45€ at release to 70-75€ in other places... 

Plenty at Hannants for the Islanders:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/H2K72044

For mainland Europe there are only very few currently... but below 50€ should be possible!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 4:31 PM, Lightningboy2000 said:

Superb, thanks for those walkaround photos, very helpful thanks. I have already got the Tiger Meet tailed UH kit but haven't looked & compared the two kits yet. Looks like a lot of plastic in the Hobby 2000 box.

Cheers

Martin

Martin,

Received my Hobby2000 F-111D/F kit in the mail from Hannants yesterday. I also purchased the Eduard SS722 and 73744 F-111D etched set plus the Armory F-111D Wheel set. I bought thoses and will get the Reskit F-111 wheel set in 1/72 scale to compare. That is if they have them in that scale. May also get the engine sets too. The only thing that bothers me with the kit is the decals. They're a great looking set but is missing a main instrument panel. The D model instrument panel. The F-111D had the MK2 avionics system with had 2 HUD's in the cockpit. The decal sheet only has one for the F model. Hasegawa had it correct. This is Hasegawa kit all the way. I will eventually do a F and a D. The F the time frame is when they came to RAF Lakenheath. And the D from when I got to Cannon AFB in the 80's.

So if you plan an F-111 model let me know. Have tons of info.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 3

23 hours ago, f111guru said:

Martin,

Received my Hobby2000 F-111D/F kit in the mail from Hannants yesterday. I also purchased the Eduard SS722 and 73744 F-111D etched set plus the Armory F-111D Wheel set. I bought thoses and will get the Reskit F-111 wheel set in 1/72 scale to compare. That is if they have them in that scale. May also get the engine sets too. The only thing that bothers me with the kit is the decals. They're a great looking set but is missing a main instrument panel. The D model instrument panel. The F-111D had the MK2 avionics system with had 2 HUD's in the cockpit. The decal sheet only has one for the F model. Hasegawa had it correct. This is Hasegawa kit all the way. I will eventually do a F and a D. The F the time frame is when they came to RAF Lakenheath. And the D from when I got to Cannon AFB in the 80's.

So if you plan an F-111 model let me know. Have tons of info.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Hi Ron, many thanks for that. Still plan to do mine, will be doing 70-2390 in that out of the box Lakenheath scheme & most likely to pose it with the wings swept back as they did at the Mildenhall Air Show. But you never know I may still change my mind! Currently finishing off a Ukraine Su-24 parked wings swept. Incidentally I actually made my first walk in visit to Hannants Wednesday first time since November 2019 to pick up Eduards interior & exterior set for the F-111 & a couple of ejection seats for the Fencer. Also purchased  a Ural fuel bowser to go with it, so maybe i'll have to find a 1/72 USAF fuel tanker for the F-111. Was in there for an hour & it felt like the fastest hour of my life! Walking around the Hannants warehouse warps time it has been proven!

We'll have to keep this thread open, & hopefully I'll have the motivation to post a build thread of the F-111. Haven't really had the urge to do a thread on the Ukraine "digital" Fencer, but will post it in the RFI. A fellow club member has mentioned regarding my exploits masking & airbrushing the digital scheme that I need sectioning & they have a special secure department at the local hospital for me!

Cheers!

Martin

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/21/2021 at 11:52 AM, Knight_Flyer said:

From what I've seen, the Hobby2000 F-111 kit are reissues of the Hasegawa with cartograf decals and canopy masks. Only thing that puts me off is the price - around £50 although I did see one advertised for £42...  then again - are old Hasegawa kits going for around that price these days on ebay? It was a few years since I last bought one and won it for around £20.

From a modelling aesthetic view, I prefer to build F-111 models with wings swept forward... just think it looks better in that position 🙂 

Got mine from Model Junction, they were charging £43.99 but luckily I'd been given a shop voucher for £25 so happy days!

The swing-ometer has swung a little further toward building it swept forwards thanks to your comment. I might have to cast votes! 😆

On 8/19/2021 at 3:40 PM, Peter O said:

I was an FB-111A and KC-135A/Q mechanic at Plattsburgh AFB in the last half of the '70s, and I'll echo what @f111guru said above. When parked, even inside the hangar, the wings were almost always fully forward. Many maintenance tasks could only be performed with the wings swept forward. As far as flaps, slats and wing gloves, they were generally left closed/retracted unless maintenance needed them opened. The biggest exception was the alert aircraft, which were configured for takeoff with flaps and slats down.

Also, anytime an aircraft was parked, the engine inlet and exhaust covers and pitot covers were immediately installed and the cockpit was closed, except on those alert aircraft.

Peter

Fantastic, many thanks for that info Peter, now tempted to get some covers for it now & maybe fashion something for the pitot. Wonder if engine inlet covers are available in 1/72?

Martin

I'll throw some incentives your was. These were built when Hasegawa first came out with them in the early 90's. First up FB-111A 68-0244 380th BW(I Think at the time). Not quite straight out of the box. Superscale decals, AGM-69 from a 1/72nd scale B-1B. Waiting for me to build a covered arch for a Victor Alert Diorama. I still need to get or make a bunch of remove before flight streamers for all I'm about to post.

100_6838

An early F-111E from the 20th TFW Upper Heyford before they went to the UH tail code. So guessing between 1970 and 1975 time frame. Again waiting for me to build a covered arch to house the alert jet in.

100_6839

One of the early demo jets from the late 60's. Have pictures in one of my books or files that have 4 Mer racks and 4 Ter racks. When the production aircraft hit the streets. It was the BRU-3A that ended up being the multiple bomb rack used. I'm dreading the painting of 36 MK-82's as I'm dreading painting 108 MK-82's for my B-52D diorama.

100_6835

These last 2 are 1/48th scale Academy F-111E kit made into an F model from RAF Lakenheath. It has the Verlinden F-111F update set in the cockpit and the resin GBU-10 on all 4 stations. Well make that 4. After I cut trimmed and used some colorful language on the making of the flaps and slats. Extra parts came out with the short wing set in resin. I have bought a few over the years until was not produced anymore.

F-111F-Aardvark-9 F-111F-Aardvark-12 F-111F-Aardvark-6 F-111F-Aardvark-4

So here you go.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 5

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

Wow, nice collection Ron @f111guru

Regarding the F model, what kind of GBU-10 did you put on? They look to be different to me! Plan something similar one day..... 

@exdrakenThey are classified in today's world GBU-10 Paveway 1's. When I first loaded anything like this was at Udorn RTAFB Thailand August 1972 put them on the F-4D. Some other unit lite up the target and we dropped it on them. We just called them LGB's for laser guided bombs. Never saw a GBU-12 in Thailand. Before I retired in 1993 our load crews were loading the GBU-10 paveway II's and GBU-24's and most of the modern smart weapons at the time.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Edited by f111guru
  • Like 1

Martin,

Would enjoy seeing your digital SU-24. Especially in 1/72nd scale. Has to be a nightmare to get the pattern down.

I haven't looked to hard for a 1/72nd modern refuel vehicle yet. I do have one in 1/48th scale. I think it's from Skunk Works. Also from Skunk Works I bought a large number of there MHU-141 trailers. Plan on back dating as close as possible to make them the MHU-12/M trailer. I did however convert a Hasegawa US Army water truck to a tanker for a diorama I made as a retirement gift. The other thing you mentioned was covers. I'll have to check through my photos for reference photos. I don't think any company makes them in 72nd scale. G Factor makes a intake cover set in 1/48th scale.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Martin, @Lightningboy2000A duh moment for me. This is the G Factor intake covers.

IMG_20150603_101435

The Verlinden Update set and the extra parts flaps and slat set

Model-F111parts

The my attempt to make a set of FB-111A weapons pylons and the dump mast.

IMG_2418

The above is from the Academy 1/48th scale kit

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

On 9/10/2021 at 7:20 PM, exdraken said:

Wow, nice collection Ron @f111guru

Regarding the F model, what kind of GBU-10 did you put on? They look to be different to me! Plan something similar one day..... 

These are the resin PW-1 Goobers included as part of the Verlinden cockpit set as Mr Guru has said.

The PW-1 differs externally from PW-2 in that the PW 1(fixed) rear fins do not have the fin extensions which are retracted inside the tail aerofoil assembly and extend via lanyard after release. This means their appearance looks different as the PW1 fins look larger and lack the squared off upper section in comparison to the PW-2.

Also PW-1 fins are cruciform as the PW-2 and up had the fins off-set when viewed from the rear

Unsure when PW-1 was replaced by PW-2 in USAF service, although I am sure guru would know.

The PW-1 would be ideal for a 'nam F-4E/ Pave Knife combo however,

cheers,

Pappy

• Thanks 1