1/72nd Airfix Beaufort,..... converted to a Malta Mk.II using HPM`s conversion set

Thanks fella`s,..... had another disc `go' at the weekend,..... so still in a lot of pain,..... had physio today,..... they don`t call them physioterrorists for nothing,..... bloody hell it hurt,..... but it seems to have calmed one of the areas down which is good. 

• Sad 3

21 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Thanks fella`s,..... had another disc `go' at the weekend,..... so still in a lot of pain,..... had physio today,..... they don`t call them physioterrorists for nothing,..... bloody hell it hurt,..... but it seems to have calmed one of the areas down which is good. 

Crikey, Tony, that's not good :( really hope that it all settles down soon. 

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tonyot said:

Gettin' old sucks cat rectums, don't it? I'm afraid that one day I'll wake up and nothing will hurt. That's when I'll realize I'm dead!

Chris

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Gettin' old sucks cat rectums, don't it? I'm afraid that one day I'll wake up and nothing will hurt. That's when I'll realize I'm dead!

Chris

It does,..... but I`ve had this since I was 18,..... injured during my Army service! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Got a bit more done despite the old back playing up,..... got the first coat of Ocean Grey brushed on as an undercoat,..... and then lightly sanded. I`ve tried out two different versions of Ocean Grey with a darker verion applied to the wing tips and flying surfaces to help me to decide which one to carry on with;

DSCF2190.jpg

Ocean Grey I hear you say,..... why Ocean Grey?????!!!

Well,.... some of the temperate sea scheme colours on aircraft painted in this scheme in the Middle East are a lot different to the colours applied in the UK,..... I know that sun bleaching and weathering can have a massive effect too,..... but it also depends on which paints were used,..... and where they were manufactured.

Anyway,.... I can already hear the tapping of keys to rip into what I`m saying,..... I want my model to roughly match the colours see in this photo,.... which match the pattern applied to quite a few Malta/Middle East Beaufort`s which also had camouflage colours with similarly highly contrasting colours when seen in b&w photos. Many people have taken it upon themselves over the years to assume that these highly contrasting colours were two toned blue,.... but whe compared to the available colour photos they do seem to be similar to Ocean Grey and a more darker and greenish than usual version of Dark Slate Grey,..... maybe even using a US colour like Olive Drab? 

Bristol-Beaufort-Malta.jpg

As you can see here,..... even UK applied Temperate Sea Scheme could widely differ between aircraft and even in certain places on an aircraft;

large-000000-1.jpg

Next job is the sort out which aircraft I want to model,..... find some suitable decals from the spares box and then add the Vokes filters or standard filters,.. whichever is applcable, mask up the demarcation lines for the undersides and then brush on the next few coats of grey,

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

Looking good Tony. Those early colour photos are hard to interpret, and even the same photo can look very different from one reproduction to another. I remember when I was starting to research my Airfix/Frog mashup a few years ago that I couldn’t even be sure whether some photos were showing TSS or DE/DG! The reproduction of that photo does show a very dark greenish colour on the nose, right cowling, left wingtip and fin, just like the darker OD seen on some Corsairs, and I could go with Ocean Grey or faded EDSG for the grey. I could even talk myself into seeing a lighter colour still on the “hump”…

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. That’s the only tapping of keys you will get from me!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good Tony. Those early colour photos are hard to interpret, and even the same photo can look very different from one reproduction to another. I remember when I was starting to research my Airfix/Frog mashup a few years ago that I couldn’t even be sure whether some photos were showing TSS or DE/DG! The reproduction of that photo does show a very dark greenish colour on the nose, right cowling, left wingtip and fin, just like the darker OD seen on some Corsairs, and I could go with Ocean Grey or faded EDSG for the grey. I could even talk myself into seeing a lighter colour still on the “hump”…

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. That’s the only tapping of keys you will get from me!

Regards,

Adrian

Much appreciated Adrian,..... thanks mate. 

Another update,..... I`ve found suitable decals to be able to do the aircraft that I wanted to, with its circular styled C code (seen next to the paint pot),...... so I added the Vokes filters, air intakes under the cowling and then the nose glazing,..... while that was being held in place while the glue dried I masked up the rear fuselage demarcation line and then added aother coat of Ocean Grey;

DSCF2193.jpg

Now to dig out an Aeroclub ASV radar set,.... oh and I forgot to mention that I drilled out a couple of hole in the nose glazing ready to add a pair of Vickers K Guns at the end of the model build. 

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 3

Looking super Tony. I've long thought that photo is a subject I'd like to replicate, especially after reading The Ship Busters, among others, which tell the story of the amazing job these guys did. I can see a HPM set coming my way too. 

Steve.

• Like 1

A question! what intakes under the cowling?

Wait! I've looked around and seen a small intake there. Any idea what it's for?

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
Info Search

10 hours ago, dogsbody said:

A question! what intakes under the cowling?

Wait! I've looked around and seen a small intake there. Any idea what it's for?

Chris

Air? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

For what? Cabin heating?

Chris

I dunno Chris,.... you are usually the expert and putting me right o stuff,....... thought you would have chapter and verse on it? 

4 hours ago, tonyot said:

I dunno Chris,.... you are usually the expert and putting me right o stuff,....... thought you would have chapter and verse on it? 

Me? Expert? What have you been smokin?

Back to the Beaufort refs!

Chris