HMS Victorious 1/600 Airfix with Atlantic Models PE

This is the HMS Victorious in 1/600 scale from the Airfix Classics range that has been upgraded with the Atlantic Models PE kit. The model was all brush painted with acrylics, mostly Humbrol but some Revell and Vallejo too.

The physical layout of the ship with the atlantic highway etc. is as she looked in the late '60s just before she was scrapped. I did the deck in the colours it was at the start of the '60s because I didn't need to do any helpicopter landing circles this way, I only had straight lines available so doing multiple circles was going to be too difficult. The PE sets I used were the 1/600 HMS Victorious detail set and the 1/600 HMS Victorious Airwing set. (ATEM60016 & 60017).

I didn't make all the parts as per the PE instructions because I've been working on the kit so long I just grew fed up with it, and I didn't have the plasticard needed to do tasks like remake all the life rafts. I will at some point return and make the x6 Sea Vixens and x6 tugs once I've taken a break and worked on a new project for a bit. The four planes that make up the current airwing are Supermarine Scimitars.

7 8 9 10

Thank you for looking :)

Edited by HMS Thunderbolt
  • Like 35

Wonderful stuff, you have certainly brought the rather tired Airfix offering  up to scratch, I can tell the amount of work it has taken to do it, and the result looks terrific, hard to believe its 1/600 !

There can never be enough Vics 😁

Cheers

David

• Like 2

That is a good looking model and very nicely finished.   I have the kit and Atlantic Models etch sets, just waiting for me to finish another build, I had to get it just out of childish nostalgia!

I wrote to Airfix back in my schooldays, about the Victorious, and expained how I had learned about aircraft carriers from my encyclopedia. They sent me a parcel with a nice letter and the Victorious kit plus their 'new' HMS Tiger model.  It sounds a bit cheesy now but I was very serious about their ships models back then.

Mike

• Like 4

Thank you very much for all the kind words, the extra detailing was definitely worth it.

@Dancona You absolutely can't have too many Vics 😆 I have been following your 1/200 scale build thread for a while, I'm really excited to see it finished!

@bootneck You could always try it again, see what you get off them this time haha

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...