Fokker 'Southern Cross' in retirement

VH-USB

Hi all,

My good friend Ron Cuskelly has just created a website devoted to Kingsford Smith's Fokker, the 'Southern Cross' which documents the plane following its retirement in 1935...
http://www.adastron.com/southern-cross/default.htm
Ron also is the creator of the wonderful 'The Lockheed File' website, which documents historic Lockheed aircraft in Australia...
http://www.lockheed.adastron.com/default.htm

Tim

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I think that way back when, Frog had a kit of the Fokker tri engined Southern Cross.

The box art was really good and I remember that it was a head on view of the aircraft flying over a choppy Southern Ocean.

Not sure what scale that old Frog kit was. Possibly 1/72nd?

Complimentary kits with a similar engine layout, the Airfix Ford Trimotor and Savoia Marchetti Italian WW2 bomber and the Junkers 52.

The Junkers has been kitted by other manufacturers in 1/72 scale too. Monogram back in the sixties released a kit of the Ford Trimotor but I am not sure it it was in 1/72 scale. I think the scale may have been a bit smaller.

• Like 1

The 1980s replica is almost ready to fly after a groundloop and long period of restoration:

And I recent purchased another "kit" of the Old Bus: a 1/20ish (1.11m wingspan) cardboard model used as a promotional tool in ANZ Bank branches in to market the 1990 tour of New Zealand by the replica. Not bad for only NZ$1! Just need to replace a propeller.

1/20ish Fokker Southern Cross
  • Like 4

On 11/28/2021 at 3:02 AM, dalea said:

Nor is the ex-Frog kit to 1/72 scale either.

I have measured the span of the  Frog Fokker VII b-3m as just a little over 30cm.  Wikipedia gives the wingspan as 21.71m.  Divide that by 72 and the result is 30.153cm.  Seems pretty close to 1/72nd scale to me.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2021 at 4:02 PM, dalea said:

But please remember that the current appearance of VH-USU in Brisbane is not representative of 1985 of Trans-Pacific flight.

Nor is the ex-Frog kit to 1/72 scale either.

Fortunately I want to built the modern replica rather than the original!

I have built the Frog kit many a moon ago, but wouldn't mind another go at it. It's quite a basic kit but there's not much to see of the interior anyway. ;)

The form is now at Zvezda (where I got my decals from! :D) and another option is Valom who has another - more modern - kit out as well.

The story of Charles Kingsford Smith is truly fascinating!:D

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 1

• 6 months later...