Metal barrel for MiniArt T-35/85s

Ade H

Has anyone tried a metal barrel in the above kits?

The kit barrel in my boxing is not in great shape, so I'd rather replace it. But I don't think that any company yet makes a barrel to fit, and those on Scalemates (all for older kits) all look far too short to be a simple and solid drop-fit.

As you say, there are several brands of ZIS-S-53 available. I thought I'd seen one for the Miniart kits but I must have been smoking something.  Perhaps I was confusing the DEF barrel for the Miniart T-44.  That will not fit a T-34 because of the mantlet end shape.

The key questions are how far into the mantlet each kit brand's barrel fits, and how accurate their diameters are.  Reaming out to fit a longer or fatter metal barrel is usually possible (says he who split an M36 mantlet doing exactly that ......).  Sometimes the hidden mantlet end of the barrel can be filed down.  Fitting a metal barrel that doesn't go in far enough or is slimmer than the mantlet hole is more problematic.  Drilling the breech end of the barrel for a pin and epoxy resin will be involved, or perhaps sleeving down the hole.  Or all of the above.

The DEF Model ZIS-S-53 barrel DM35085 might be a good bet.  It says it fits just about every brand of T-53/85 except Miniart and comes with a brass insert for the Zvezda kit.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Yes, the DEF barrel may be an outside bet; it looks like the only one to have a tapered end which could be supported by a plastic tube shim.

I'm suprised that none of the manufacturers has noticed this gap in the market yet.