South African AHRLAC 1/48 scratch build, Decision made Bronco II it is.

Marklo

resized_5d3da2b7-0e79-4d8d-b092-4848d63aSanded and primed.  And looking quite nice. I think just to be different I’ll leave the office till last :) 

Needs a little bit more filling, but mostly done. Intakes and sponsons and winglets next.  These will need to be in place to mount the undercarriage. I also need to make or acquire some wheels, must have a nose through some of my more modern kits and see if there’s anything I can make a resin copy from. 

I’m thinking of my ICM spitfire mk XIV, but if all else fails I can resort to my little lathe and turn a set.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

resized_423bebc7-d76a-4803-8341-76f85eb2Sponsons a bit rough, but nothing a bit of milliput won’t fix and resin winglet ends ( an experiment, I was going to plunge mold them but seeing as I was doing some resin for other projects I thought I’d try that instead, bluetack for the mold and worked a charm)

• Like 2

5db24cb0-51b8-4bab-b0a8-95aaefb0f131.jpeThis is the Bronco II. The Boeing supported weaponised AHRLAC which was recently eliminated from the US competition for s new close support aircraft.

e15b079f-9967-4b48-8a1a-4ba236f96e6f.jpeAnd this is the Mwari. The weaponised version for the rest of Africa. Which I believe is just entering service with Mozambique.

273b202d-62f5-40f9-8af0-db49e7fdbf5a.jpeAnd this of course is the AHRLAC.

Ok indecision time, I like the digital camo but tbh it’s an awful lot of work. So I’m leaning towards the Bronco II and the hull grey and white scheme. Particularly as the build looks pretty good already in just grey.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

• Marklo changed the title to South African AHRLAC 1/48 scratch build Might end up as a Mwari or a Bronco II
36 minutes ago, Marklo said:

5db24cb0-51b8-4bab-b0a8-95aaefb0f131.jpeThis is the Bronco II. The Boeing supported weaponised AHRLAC

e15b079f-9967-4b48-8a1a-4ba236f96e6f.jpeAnd this is the Mwari. The weaponised version for the rest of Africa.

273b202d-62f5-40f9-8af0-db49e7fdbf5a.jpeAnd this of course is the AHRLAC.

Ok indecision time, I like the digital camo but tbh it’s an awful lot of work. So I’m leaning towards the Bronco II and the hull grey and white scheme. Particularly as the build looks pretty good already in just grey.

The overall Grey will work however. If you do really want the digital effect, can you maybe try and find something like these locally ? 

https://spruebrothers.com/cxdmil16001-1-16-crossdelta-us-digital-camo-decal/ 

They're for 1/16 scale and only a suggestion though the also come in 1/35. The larger size and being a full sheet I would think you could cut out and do whole panels from these sheets. Or cut random shapes to get the patterns you're looking for. 

Dennis

• Like 1

55555f9a-9d93-436b-b750-803cd65000f6.jpeMy thinking was to use this along with some kabuki tape to mask the digital pattern. It would of course be more of a homage than a 100% accurate rendition, but I’d be happy enough to capture the look, if you get me.

My other thought was to spray it in the base colour then cut a small square sponge and carefully print each block with it with the other two colours, like potato printing.

That said I think the Bronco II scheme is quite striking. But I’d really love to get a look at the Mozambique colour schemes .

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Marklo said:

55555f9a-9d93-436b-b750-803cd65000f6.jpeMy thinking was to use this along with some kabuki tape to mask the digital pattern. It would of course be more of a homage than a 100% accurate rendition, but I’d be happy enough to capture the look, if you get me.

My other thought was to spray it in the base colour then cut a small square sponge and carefully print each block with it with the other two colours, like potato printing.

That said I think the Bronco II scheme is quite striking. But I’d really love to get a look at the Mozambique colour schemes .

Im sure whichever option you choose this will look good. Though the grid and tape idea does have merit. 

• Thanks 1

resized_7f299a75-1399-46c1-b6e8-afb1eb78Sponsons, intakes, exhausts ( cut down from a suitably sized ball point pen) and winglets, all more or less ready for fitting.

resized_64b3aed3-ba93-4299-a926-fed64317Dry fit of the sponsons, yes the AHRLAC has a posterior :) 

I should get the sponsons et all on tomorrow, then I think it’s time for an undercarriage. And of course a rummage through the spares box/stash to see if I can find a suitable set of wheels.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

resized_410facae-aef4-4b82-9413-bd249d25Some home brewed resin, ip ejector seats snd wheels copied from a Mig 21 but seeing as I have no idea what the interior should look like they’ll do thee we job nicely, just like a lot of my WWI builds we’re going for a plausible interior not necessarily an accurate one.

• Like 2

Ok less than two weeks to go time for a plan of attack:

1. finish the filling/sanding 

2. scribe panel lines

3. build the interior 

4. scratch a propellor

5. fit the canopy
6.  final paintwork ( I think it’ll be the Bronco II)

Doable but tight….

89d91840-244c-49c4-aa4c-a248afd2d535.jpeStarted on the interior.

resized_e568f32c-75fe-4d77-ba3b-f461e959

The next job was to give the whole thing a couple of coats of ultimate primer. The office is just dry fitted, but moving along nicely.

The single biggest task is to get rid of all the blemishes and imperfections on the airframe, the primer helps a lot as it gives a good surface finish, hides small imperfections and accurately shows up the big ones. Hopefully be ready for final paint by the weekend.

• Like 4

resized_2a18df77-8c11-4494-943b-60c55d4aCurrent status. The Sharpie is being used to indicate blemishes that still need a little work. I’ve molded a correct shaped canopy in styrene and I’m going to cut out the areas that are glazed and then inset the clear moldings. The interior is nearly done. 

Soooo a bit more filling sanding, it’s so nearly there then paintwork, I’m seriously thinking I will go for the digital scheme, but I’ll wait till I’ve got the overall surface good before deciding. All things bring equal will scrape  the GB closing date :) 

• Like 3

On 11/21/2021 at 9:26 PM, Marklo said:

All things bring equal will scrape  the GB closing date :)

It will be great if can Mark.  This would make a super addition to the Group Build gallery 🤞🏼

Cheers

• Thanks 1

resized_d169dc0f-5ec5-4d81-8f58-4145b64dScribing completed. Only a little bit of bodywork left.

resized_f837e3e8-4452-4c22-b223-97316f22

I decided to go again at the canopy got some .5mm clear polythene from

my local art shop and it’s vac formed a treat. Must buy a few more sheets when next time I’m there.

So the main decals are drying, I need to make a few more decals, last bit of filler setting. Should be ready for a bit if paint tomorrow. Might even be done before the weekend…

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

• Marklo changed the title to South African AHRLAC 1/48 scratch build, Decision made Bronco II it is.

resized_1d856934-2c96-4b4e-8076-ddba1994The various AHRLACs have a number of detail differences, on the Bronco II the canopy looks different. So nothing else for it out with the Dremel ( well it’s actually a Goxiwan)

resized_3c04f7df-15c9-47b7-9a3d-7de16dedAlso time for a nose job, the bronco has a longer nose. The ends of the booms were also the wrong shape.

resized_07eaf0b3-572e-417c-be1b-00d6c86dStill not entirely happy with the canopy so I decided to have a third go at it. I buffed the buck down a bit more and let the plastic get really sort and got this , finally an almost perfect mold.

resized_bafd4ab9-13bc-432d-9e70-68bc4883I then decided I wasn’t happy with the frame so after much burning of fingers but surprisingly little bad language I managed a good mold in 1mm styrene.

resized_7c1e394c-7bad-4a02-965a-dce20c83I also cut out the wing lights. So after all that this is where I am. I actually feel I’m  on the home stretch at last.

to do. 

1. sand the additions

2. cut out the canopy frame

3. make a propellor 

4. print off the rest of the decals

5. paint it

6. finish the into

7.  stick all the bits together 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

Working through the list,

1. sand the additions - in progress