South African AHRLAC 1/48 scratch build, Decision made Bronco II it is.

Marklo

273b202d-62f5-40f9-8af0-db49e7fdbf5a.jpe
Came across this while surfing the interweb and thought I had to build one, I may even attempt the digital camouflage.

resized_8b7d1769-2805-4bcf-b29e-3fe557e3

Step 1 as the plan is slightly bigger than A4 I resorted to good old pen and paper drawings to scale it to 1/48. I’ll mold it as wings, tails, booms and fuselage/canopy so quite a bit of woodworking to follow.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

resized_ed8ad3d5-f918-48fe-82ee-75e20c63Wing bucks from basswood.

resized_2e2cc16c-1128-45b5-a628-24732985Tail planes and booms. I’m assuming a symmetric aerofoil so I can  make the four wing halves from just two molds (although looking at the photos it may not be). But I can always fill the wing halves and reprofile them on assembly if I have to. 

I’ll work on the fuselage next I’ll probably split it horizontally with the canopy being in the upper section.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

Great subject!  

In idle moments I’ve thought about doing one of these myself, but I don’t think it’ll ever get to the top of my to do list so I shall just watch yours come together instead. 👍

• Thanks 1

resized_ea2f7871-7af3-49b0-95cc-481125dcAnd after a bit more jigsaw work and some sanding with my new mouse ( black and decker that is) I’m going to square off the canopy section and I set a piece or basswood for the canopy which I’ll carve in situ so as to get the contours to match.

I have a typhoon and a lot of Messerschmitts to finish so probably won’t go molding till next week, but should be fun.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

Managed to get a bit more molding done this morning.

ac47fe00-9ad1-4aa0-880c-0e2cd66ad303.jpe

First off the canopy. On the second attempt, a pretty good mold.

0bdeaebe-773e-42e6-9780-d4a26bccad4f.jpe

After a rough trim. A few minor blemishes but good enough I think.

resized_838c7425-1b3f-43e9-bb52-adadd134

Next the booms.

resized_018f5b21-4597-4990-8b18-50ec1ba4

After trimming with a scissors. I’ll put the balsa core in these when I assembled them.

resized_0f51a372-28b3-4952-b3d8-c3c9d43e
The story so far. The Tailfins, horizontal stabiliser, engine intakes, spinner,  sponsons and the little winglets that the main gear attach to all need to be molded. So lots more woodwork needed before I’m done.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

resized_584b331b-cee7-4d7f-953e-7f8dfc2aAll the components. I’ve cut and pinned the wings which are dry fitted. Not entirely happy with the canopy, it’s serviceable, but could be better. I have some clear acrylic on order and still plenty of time to have another go at it.

resized_9a79dd37-ac23-44cd-b433-e707280d

The rest of the assembly. The horizontal surfaces are pinned and dry fitted. Next job cut out the wings/ booms to finish assembled.

Except for the intakes and sponsons which still need to be carved and molded.

Once I get it assembled it’s going to need buckets of filler to clean up everything :) ( if milliput are watching I’m open to sponsorship :) )

• Like 6

resized_f08467d4-6525-4d43-a0eb-1c759097After a brush coat of neutral gray to see whet work needs doing. I also trimmed the canopy to sit in fully. The nose is s little bit eccentric and the fuselage section aft of the canopy needs building up. But other than that not too bad.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Great work

Thanks Steve. Glad you like it. I think it will build up into a good looking model. Well the method is mostly from your Mig build albeit skinned with molded plastic and with the wooden cores in the wings, booms and fuselage it’s actually more wood than plastic :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1