OK, I'll do Option 3 - 1/48 Tamiya F-4B VF-161"Chargers" *** FINISHED ... Belatedly ***

Ray_W

Lovely work Ray, the fit is exceptional. I had a minor issue with the front end; the panel gap at the nose was a tad large. Only noticed after it was fitted but on closer inspection, one of the side walls of the cockpit was out of place by hairs breadth. I was able to force it in. Pity I didn't notice it before attaching the nose!

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Pity I didn't notice it before attaching the nose!

I feel some pressure building this kit because the fit is so great. Any error I introduce feels more catastrophic then normal. The kit is so darn good you end up raising your own build quality expectation. Even the tiniest little bit of Tamiya Extra Thin that, through the wonders of capillary action, decided to rapidly follow a path down a panel line like some Hollywood movie fuel spill to plant itself directly under my unsuspecting finger tip, seemed a major disaster. Easily fixed, and the offending area was no bigger than a Q-tip end. The kit does exert some build pressure of its own.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ray_W said:

The kit is so darn good you end up raising your own build quality expectation.

Tell me about it Ray,  After adding the Quinta 3D decals to the cockpit I keep poring over cockpit photos and adding details to bring the non-decaled parts up to the same standard. 🙄

14 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Even the tiniest little bit of Tamiya Extra Thin that, through the wonders of capillary action, decided to rapidly follow a path down a panel line like some Hollywood movie fuel spill to plant itself directly under my unsuspecting finger tip

I think most of us have had this problem Ray,  I left a fingerprint on the underside of a FW 190 wing, I now keep my digits well away when applying any thin glue. :nod:

On 10/14/2021 at 7:30 AM, Ray_W said:

I feel some pressure building this kit because the fit is so great. Any error I introduce feels more catastrophic then normal. The kit is so darn good you end up raising your own build quality expectation. Even the tiniest little bit of Tamiya Extra Thin that, through the wonders of capillary action, decided to rapidly follow a path down a panel line like some Hollywood movie fuel spill to plant itself directly under my unsuspecting finger tip, seemed a major disaster. Easily fixed, and the offending area was no bigger than a Q-tip end. The kit does exert some build pressure of its own.

Ha! That's why mine hasn't even got started yet, I'm scared of the beautiful thing!

On 10/11/2021 at 4:06 PM, Ray_W said:

And seriously enjoyable to build. Now I have a quandary as to what to do with my plan to build a RAAF Rhino. I am not expecting a Tamiya F-4E for some time, if ever, and I was planning to use the ZM kit. What to do? I think I will wait a little. 

The ZM kit has everything you need included in it to build any RAAF bird, from this initial factory standard then through all the mods till they were returned to the US. The only thing I'd say is avoid using their decals, basically all on mine just silvered and started to lift off! Talking with members from my local club it wasn't a one-off issue either as they had head of this happening as well.

I love this build, she's looking awesome, I so have to get back to mine after looking at yours! :wub:

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

The ZM kit has everything you need included in it to build any RAAF bird, from this initial factory standard then through all the mods till they were returned to the US. The only thing I'd say is avoid using their decals, basically all on mine just silvered and started to lift off! Talking with members from my local club it wasn't a one-off issue either as they had head of this happening as well.

Hi Rich,

I think I will still grab the ZM kit while available. I was following your build and saw the difficulties using their decals. Yes, one to avoid. 

Ray

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Rich,

I think I will still grab the ZM kit while available. I was following your build and saw the difficulties using their decals. Yes, one to avoid. 

Ray

I doubt you'll regret it.  I've been really enjoying my Z-M build so far...but I am one that tends to enjoy the building process more so than the finishing aspect (maybe that's why I get so many kits that I squirrel on once I get them primed :hmmm:).  A little more detailed...if maybe a bit more fiddly for assembly than the Tamiya.  I haven't built the Tamiya kit yet so I don't have a direct comparison.  But the fit for the most part so far has been very good.  I did have 1 little gap to deal with on the turtlebacks, but that's been the extent of it so far.  Lots of test fitting for clearances pays off in the long run, as it is a busy kit with a lot of parts.

For me the Z-Ms are the sweet spot for value for 48th Phantoms for me when looking at MSRP costs of the Tamiya, Academy, Z-M and used prices of Hasegawa.  I'm building the Z-M OOB aside from weapons & decals.  Everything else in the kit has been adequate to my needs and haven't felt the need to replace w/ AM (though some AM bits may speed the assembly process up a bit).  I do look forward to building the Tam & Academy to compare the construction differences w/ the Z-M & Hase.  The only downside I've seen w/ the Z-M is I don't think I've ever seen them on sale, so expect to pay full price for one (which is still less then I've typically found the Tamiya marked down at)..

• Like 2

I've kept going with this build doing a lot of the small parts preparation. Not much to show for a fair amount of time expended. I do feel a big painting session coming up.

BM F-4B Construction 43

I have also started on the ejection seats. Nice job by Tamiya. I have added some crinkles and folds in the chute cover and the back rest. These areas are shiny as I have used Tamiya Extra Thin to smooth the folds.

BM F-4B Construction 42

I'll post some pics later this week when the seats are finished.

Ray

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I've kept going with this build doing a lot of the small parts preparation. Not much to show for a fair amount of time expended. I do feel a big painting session coming up

That's the thing about modern jets, you do the cockpit, then the outside and you're still only halfway there :blink:

Nice work on the seats, like the folds.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Johnson said:

That's the thing about modern jets, you do the cockpit, then the outside and you're still only halfway there 

You're right with that Charlie. I usually like to jump ahead and get the ordnance done early while I still have some build enthusiasm.  

• Like 1

Another week gone and I seem to have used all the time on the canopies and not the un-tinted sections. Tamiya masks - I really do not mind cutting them out, easily done with a sharp scalpel blade on a glass sheet as backing, Mr Masking Sol as an interior mask. Quick and easy.

BM F-4B Construction 44

The real devil was the front tinted section. I used an airbrush for application and sprayed the interior with masking provided by Mr Masking Sol. The process:

1. Tried X-23 Clear Blue tinted Future. Hated it and stripped with ammonia.

2. Tried X-23 thinned with X-20A. Not clear enough. Stripped with ethanol.

3. Accidently scratched the canopy and had to polish out.

4. Tried X-23 thinned more with a higher percentage of X-20A and built the colour even more slowly. Not clear enough. Stripped it with ethanol.

5. Tried X-23 thinned with MLT. Lovely. Darn dust particle. Strip with ethanol.

6. Tried X-23 with MLT and ensured no dust particle and good enough.

Phew! Finished and ready for exterior masking.

BM F-4B Construction 45

Tinted Future, brush applied, may also be a simple solution. I would probably give this a go on a future build. Pardon the pun.

Will I mask and paint the interior? Maybe. I will decide later. 

Now ready for a serious painting session to be had over this weekend.

Ray

• Like 5

On 10/20/2021 at 4:01 AM, Bertie Psmith said:

Someone's missing a trick there

Yeh, but we don't want to take everything away, then what will we have to complain about. But, I am sure they would sell. 

14 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Glad it worked out in the end with the canopy tint!

Thanks Alan, I've declared the weekend for ordnance and undercarriage. Nothing better than having these little bits done waiting for the big bits to catch up.

Ray

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Thanks Alan, I've declared the weekend for ordnance and undercarriage. Nothing better than having these little bits done waiting for the big bits to catch up.

I'm at the same stage with mine, lots of little ordnance, canopy and landing gear details, much effort for little perceived progress, but it all counts!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bertie Psmith said:

When I read things like this I reach for my wallet like Ned Kelly going for his guns.

I took a completely different tack. I thought realistically when will I build a RAAF Rhino? Not, before an EA-18G Growler in the Jan 2022 F/A-18 STG. I then saw the Hasegawa kit of same for a good price in Poland. Wallet whipped out and kit secured. 😢 Poor F-4E it has to wait ... again. I cannot break my second modelling commandment; "Thou shall not increase thy stash".

Not a Phantom but every time I watch this I think, have to build a RAAF Growler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxakfXUMDtE

Ray

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

When I read things like this I reach for my wallet like Ned Kelly going for his guns.

Head on over to Jumblies then Bertie, they have them on offer at the minute.

25 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Not a Phantom but every time I watch this I think, have to build a RAAF Growler.

Its an aircraft type that is really growing on me too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2021 at 7:55 AM, Ray_W said:

The real devil was the front tinted section. I used an airbrush for application

Very brave, Ray, to use the real thing for trials.

On 10/22/2021 at 7:55 AM, Ray_W said:

6. Tried X-23 with MLT and ensured no dust particle and good enough.

And this was interesting as I'd never have dared to use MLT on a clear part for fear of damaging the surface, but no problems I gather?

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress due to work commitments. 

I made my own belts for the Tamiya supplied seats from Tamiya tape and Reheat buckles.

BM F-4B Construction 46

I then decided to replace the face curtain ejection handles with annealed and painted 0.4 mm copper wire

Everything now painted up and ready to insert in the cockpit.

BM F-4B Construction 47

BM F-4B Construction 48

Tamiya supply. Not too shabby:

BM F-4B Construction 50

BM F-4B Construction 49

Ray

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

I've been looking forward to seeing these Ray, not disappointed! Excellent job.

Thanks Charlie, Making the harness is certainly worth the effort but it does chew up the time.

44 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Truly excellent work Ray, shows what can be done with the kit parts and a little extra work,

Thanks Craig,  I think I spent as much time on the seats as one of my recent complete Bf-109 builds.  :facepalm: They turned out like mini kits in themselves. I have been saying of late "use less AM", go retro and make the harnesses myself. Save some money. Well that lasted, I promptly went out and ordered Quinta Studio 3D for my January Hasegawa Growler build. One seat per kit is OK, but two .... also added the Aires seats. 

Ray

• Like 3