OK, I'll do Option 3 - 1/48 Tamiya F-4B VF-161"Chargers" *** FINISHED ... Belatedly ***

Ray_W

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

the fit really does look exemplary.

You just have to build one. Not only a great fit but strong. Lovely chunk of plastic to pick up and play with.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

You just have to build one. Not only a great fit but strong. Lovely chunk of plastic to pick up and play with.

Well I've just ordered some decals for one so it would be silly to not pick a kit up to go with them.😁

Will probably get one from the UK Nationals next month.

• Like 1

I am the first to admit that I do not mind a little kit wrangling. Some of my most satisfying builds come from wrestling with a kit and getting a good result. But, it is certainly a pleasure to slip in one of those nicely engineered kits with exceptional fit and just enjoy the experience. Let me illustrate.

I built up the jet intake assemblies. Here they are sitting in place.

BM F-4B Construction 29

The eagle eyed will of spotted that they are painted up. All interior painting is also complete.

BM F-4B Construction 30

And this is the joy of the Tamiya build. The fit is so good, I can have them complete, Save on the need for duct masking and slot them in later at an appropriate time.  I will do the same with the horizontal stabilators. Just as an aside, maybe they should be called "Not-Quite-Horizontal Stabilators" or "Angled Stabilators" or maybe they are really just called "Stabilators" 🤪,

BM F-4B Construction 31

Ray

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I built up the jet intake assemblies. Here they are sitting in place.

Don't forget to remove the mounting pins for the ECM ducts from the intakes Ray,  Step 21 in the plans. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Rib Man said:

is making me seriously think about ordering one of the Tamiya F-4B's

And seriously enjoyable to build. Now I have a quandary as to what to do with my plan to build a RAAF Rhino. I am not expecting a Tamiya F-4E for some time, if ever, and I was planning to use the ZM kit. What to do? I think I will wait a little. 

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Really nice work Ray, shows just what a great fitting kit this is.

Thanks Craig, the pressure is on to ensure as the builder you do not introduce a problem. No reason too, only operator error to blame, Like @Retired Bob spotted with the ECM mounting pins, since removed, thank you Bob  :thanks:  

11 hours ago, Johnson said:

And great work in the cockpit. Lovely work.

Thanks Charlie, certainly nice plastic from Tamiya. I am looking forward to doing the ejection seats. They look exceptional.

Ray

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I am looking forward to doing the ejection seats. They look exceptional

And I’m eagerly awaiting to see what magic you will do with them! But I am also intrigued as to what Tamiya will have provided. What seats did the F-4B have? I’ve just had to modify (with a lot of help from guys here on BM) Mk.7 seats to Mk.5s for my F-4C. They were retrospectively fitted to the planes so naturally the kit manufacturers include them. But in combat the early seats were used.

Sorry Ray, getting into the weeds again!

5 minutes ago, Johnson said:

What seats did the F-4B have?

Not in the weeds. The sort of thing I like people to discuss.

30 minutes ago, Johnson said:

What seats did the F-4B have?

Depends on the era. Early Mk. 5. Late Mk.7. Good reference http://ejectionsite.com/usnh7.htm 

The kit supplied seat is a lovely detailed Mk. 7 which is correct for my 1972 subject. No major mods necessary for the kit seat other that possibly adding some minor detail. Tamiya also addresses some of the Navy/Air Force variation. They provide the rear seat oxygen cylinder on the left hand side which they ask you to remove, correct for USN/USMC aircraft. They also provide two seat cushions, one option with the hole in the seat for viewing the oxygen cylinder gauge, again correct for a USN/USMC aircraft.

BM F-4B Construction 32

There may still be some nuances around this. Still learning.

Ray

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

The kit supplied seat is a lovely detailed Mk. 7 which is correct for my 1972 subject. No major mods necessary for the kit seat other that possibly adding some minor detail.

You are correct about the seats Ray, they are probably some of the best Mk.7 seats reproduced.  The only thing that needs changing is the single strap on each side of the parachute container, the container was open topped with an olive drab nylon cover to keep out the rain or other debris that could affect the parachute, this cover was held in place with 2 elasticated straps on either side.  It's also the first time that I have seen the rocket pack included, the tubes on the underside of the seat to paint white, these are the outboard tubes of the seats rocket pack that gave it the zero/zero capability.  One thing that does amuse me is the no step on the seat pan pack, how the heck you can duck under the canopy and step into the cockpit without using the seat pan as a step is beyond me, unless you had really long legs and the prowess of a limbo/ballet dancer! (Oh my Phantom days, I was young, single, had hair and a motor bike, how I wish :happy:)

Hi Bob,

Any seat information welcome. Will start on this soon. 

14 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

One thing that does amuse me is the no step on the seat pan pack,

I had a similar thought. 

Ray

Great work Ray. 

Just catching up with this build. Think I’ll be investing in one of these kits soon.

You mentioned a page or so back about getting a Tamiya F-14 for another straight forward build. Seriously go for it. I’m not normally a modern jet builder but I built one a couple a of years ago and loved it. It’s another great kit. 

Look forward to more progress. 

James 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, franky boy said:

Just catching up with this build. Think I’ll be investing in one of these kits soon.

ONE..... It's Christmas come early for me with this kit, I've just paid the customs fee for my 7th one from 48ers, I didn't intend to go past the 6th but to order from the 48ers to the UK the order must be at least 160 euros plus postage.  I mainly wanted the Bullseye F-4B decal sheet for a VF-114 Aardvarks aircraft, the rest is just collateral damage.  :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Bob,

Any seat information welcome. Will start on this soon. 

I had a similar thought. 

Ray

I'm not very expert in ejection seats, but here is a pic of the AF version of the MB Mk7 from the Museum of Flight in Seattle.  It really clearly shows the parachute cover and straps referenced by Bob. 

B7FBA58A-B107-49F2-A5C5-D474051ABFD0

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, franky boy said:

Seriously go for it. I’m not normally a modern jet builder but I built one a couple a of years ago and loved it.

I am the same as you James, however, I am having an enjoyable modelling year with Cold War jet subjects - MiG-21, Mirage IIIO and now the F-4B. The F-14 has not been a subject high on my to do list but I am tempted by the Tamiya build experience. 

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

I've just paid the customs fee for my 7th one from 48ers

Good on you Bob, excellent support for the industry while attempting, single handedly, to wear out the moulds thereby forcing their early retirement so Tamiya add some more F-4 variants.

There is also another great advantage in your buying policy.  Plenty of poly caps if you inadvertently misplace them. I did (again) and had to raid my Tamiya G-6. I have learnt from experience and ensured I put them somewhere safe.  No doubt they are residing in this "safe" place. I'll find them one day. 

Ray

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Rib Man said:

I'm not very expert in ejection seats, but here is a pic of the AF version of the MB Mk7 from the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

I believe that is US Navy Mk.7 seat, the reason I say that is you can see the black surround on the seat pan pack to view the emergency oxygen bottle gauge, also the hoses coming out of the seat pan pack at the near rear corner, USAF and RAF seats did not have those, they had the emergency oxygen bottle in that corner.  The face screen handle has been pulled showing the fabric cover that covers the occupants face during ejection, if for various reasons (usually high G forces) it cannot be pulled there is the alternate firing handle between his legs on the front of the seat pan.  The other yellow and black handle on the far side of the seat pan is the manual separation handle, pulling this disconnects all the straps from the seat, severs the drogue line from the parachute pack, and allows the occupant to quickly get out from the seat if ejection isn't an option or if it's pulled after ejection for whatever reason it does the same, it overrides the automatic sequence, removes the occupant from the seat then they have to pull the parachute operating handle themselves (Large metallic handle on the nearest shoulder strap)  The cover on the top of the parachute pack and the securing straps could be either that blue/grey colour or most of the ones that I have seen were an olive green colour. :winkgrin:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Good on you Bob, excellent support for the industry while attempting, single handedly, to wear out the moulds thereby forcing their early retirement so Tamiya add some more F-4 variants.

Ray, you have worked out my cunning plan. :wicked:  Come on Tamiya, more F-4 variants before I get too old.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I believe that is US Navy Mk.7 seat

Yes correct. I appreciate @The Rib Man image as it is of the seat I am modelling in a USN version. Here are a couple more of a "Navy" H-7 seat.

BM F-4B Construction 33

BM F-4B Construction 34

Further, what was the function of the various items in that corner. It appears to be two hoses, one of which could be a cable, and what appears to be a yellow knob on a rod. I assume the crew oxygen attachment point was in that seat corner and disconnect from main supply was on ejection then relying on the seat emergency supply cylinder we have been discussing. Any info on this would also be useful.

Ray

• Like 1

Starting to look every bit a Phantom.

BM F-4B Construction 38

and this is just pushed together

BM F-4B Construction 37

If I paint up and attach the folding wing tips separately with something like PVA I should be able to swap them out to my taste. I like them lowered, it will give me an option.

BM F-4B Construction 36

Ray

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Further, what was the function of the various items in that corner. It appears to be two hoses, one of which could be a cable, and what appears to be a yellow knob on a rod.

There are a few differences between the USN seats and the ones fitted to the RAF F-4M's that I worked on, our seats had a PEC (Personal Equipment Connector) on the left side as you sat in the seat, this supplied, as implied all air supply, comms and emergency oxygen to the occupant with a quick fitting/removal connector, a similar supply connector was attached to the aircraft by a lanyard that would dis-connect on ejection.  Looking at that Navy seat, the yellow knob would be to manually operate the emergency oxygen should a failure in the aircraft system occur, the other connections would be for aircraft supplied breathing air and comms.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

If I paint up and attach the folding wing tips separately with something like PVA I should be able to swap them out to my taste. I like them lowered, it will give me an option.

It does work Ray, one of my sets of wings has the outer sections attached with PVA in the folded position, this so I can remove them for detail painting, like the coroguard silver paint along the leading edges after the main colours have been applied on my early F-4B. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

the yellow knob would be to manually operate the emergency oxygen should a failure in the aircraft system occur, the other connections would be for aircraft supplied breathing air and comms.

Thanks Bob, I thought you would know.