OK, I'll do Option 3 - 1/48 Tamiya F-4B VF-161"Chargers" *** FINISHED ... Belatedly ***

Ray_W

I am calling this one done. A little late with the finish, but, a finish nonetheless. It was certainly worth taking the extra time.

@Johnson Charlie, a huge job to remove the windscreen and I expect new problems would be introduced. I'll live with it how it is. It is not too bad and I am pleased with how the total package turned out. Plentry of other fascinating subjects to get into. I would really like to do a RAAF F-4E follow up using the ZM kit. 

This one is complete.

Here are a few pictures. I'll put some up in RFI tomorrow when I have some improved light. (Edit: Done that now)

BM F-4B Finish 1

BM F-4B Finish 6

BM F-4B Finish 2

BM F-4B Finish 3

BM F-4B Finish 4

BM F-4B Finish 5

BM F-4B Finish 7

BM F-4B Finish 8

Ain't those missiles pretty?

BM F-4B Finish 9

Thanks to the hosts  @DaveJL for a wonderful STGB. Thanks also to Enzo @Enzo Matrix for the time extension. Still could not get it there. And special thanks for all those following along with your suggestions and encouragement. 

Goodness me, it is now December and not one Spitfire for the year and what's more three jets completed. I must be ill.

Ray

• Like 15

• Ray_W changed the title to OK, I'll do Option 3 - 1/48 Tamiya F-4B VF-161"Chargers" *** FINISHED ... Belatedly ***
9 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Goodness me, it is now December and not one Spitfire for the year and what's more three jets completed. I must be ill.

Nicely done Ray, remind me, how are you getting these completed models home?  :whistle:

But have you bought any Spitfires?  I got the Eduard Mk.II duo with m/g and cannon wing options.  :mental:

• Like 1

Had a friend of mine serve on Carriers (Forrestal and Saratoga) in the 80’s, he says its almost impossible to see the tint from outside the aircraft. The only time he ever remembered seeing it, was when he’d climb in to get a blast of O2 to cure his Hangover after a port call. 

• Haha 1

@Johnson @ruudster @modelling minion @alt-92 @Retired Bob

Thanks guys for the very kind remarks. 

Bob, I have 3 Eduard Spitfire kits with me. "Eagles Call"is calling. As for getting them home? I have quite a collection with me. It's a worry.

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

he says its almost impossible to see the tint from outside the aircraft.

Hi Dennis, me being me, and having slept on it, I thought let's remove the tint. I glued some wipes to thin plastic card so I could get into the space. Luckily I had only glued the canopy sections in place with PVA. Also easily removed the sight. 

BM F-4B Construction 101

BM F-4B Construction 102

Cut myself some strips and went to work with 95% ethanol. Tamiya aqueous paints are easily removed with this.

Put the sight back in using a piece of wire and blu-tac. 

BM F-4B Construction 103

All done

BM F-4B Gallery 13

Ray

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Dennis, me being me, and having slept on it, I thought let's rempove the tint. I glued some wipes to thin plastic card so I could get into the space. Luckily I had only glued the canopy sections in place with PVA. Also easily removed the sight. 

6 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

All done

Much better!!! :goodjob:

• Like 2

One image to wrap up. The one I always like. Comparison of type.

My jets for 2021 - all Cold War warriors. Kinetic Mirage III0. Tamiya F-4B. Eduard MiG-21 bis.

BM F-4B Finish 10

Ray

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Great line up Ray

Thanks Craig, I have certainly enjoyed building some more recent stuff this year. All of them are wonderful kits. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ray_W said:

My jets for 2021 - all Cold War warriors. Kinetic Mirage III0. Tamiya F-4B. Eduard MiG-21 bis.

Superb line up of your models Ray, perhaps you will need to hire a shipping container when you eventually return to Oz.  :nod:

• Haha 1

Well done Ray, the few times Ive bothered doing the tint like this. I add a few drops to pledge and give it a good stir. It barely changes color but enough so that at certain angles it kind of is there. Then brush it on with a wet brush. The water aids in not leaving brush strokes, as the future rides on top of the water. Two or three passes to build up color density on the windshield and I think it looks good. Maybe next one you build give it a try. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

perhaps you will need to hire a shipping container

Hi Bob, Certainly been a productive couple of years. I am planning to return in January. So I am really starting to think how I get at least a part of the collection home.

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I add a few drops to pledge and give it a good stir.

Thanks Dennis for the suggestion. I think your method is a much better way of doing it. Thankfully this time it was not Future (I still have the original bottles). At least, the Tamiya colour was easy to remove. I'll have to brush up (pardon my pun) my canopy tinting prowess as I seem to be making my way towards more modern types. 

Ray

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2021 at 11:49 PM, Ray_W said:

I'll have to brush up (pardon my pun) my canopy tinting prowess as I seem to be making my way towards more modern types. 

Nice result! :cheers:

I airbrush thinned down Tamiya clears for my tinted windscreens.  One thing I do though is keep a fresh piece of white paper handy I can use as a back drop to get a feel for how much tint I've layered up.  I prefer a prefer light tint myself (personal preference)...something you may not notice at first glance once it's installed..

50683941941_925021de1d_c.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, helios16v said:

something you may not notice at first glance once it's installed

Thanks for the tips. I seem to be working my way to more modern types so I will get some more practice later this year.

Ray