OK, I'll do Option 3 - 1/48 Tamiya F-4B VF-161"Chargers" *** FINISHED ... Belatedly ***

Ray_W

I'll join in with another nice new 1/48 Tamiya F-4B. 

BM F-4B Construction 1

Still bagged, but not for long.

BM F-4B Construction 2

I'll go with the 3rd Tamiya option - kit decals and all - the CAG aircraft, another MiG killer from VF-161 "Chargers". 

BM F-4B Construction 3

There has been lots of aftermarket enthusiasm in the F-4 Phantom II Chat. Some really good gear to add. That Quinta Studios stuff looks lovely and how cannot I not use a replacement jet exhaust (my normal) with that PayPal icon an easy curser click away. This time though, I'm going largely OOB, that is other than what I might already have kicking around for enhancement of the kit plastic - already planning my attack on the kit's ejection seats. 

Should be fun. 

Ray 

• Like 11

I've just built this, it's a great kit although I found the tolerances very tight. The only area I had a real issue were the exhaust petals which I think was self inflicted. One tip I would give is to go through the instructions with a hi-lighter and mark which parts are needed for option C. I built option A and was caught out by an antennae. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gidge said:

Without eyeballing the decals that's what I'd be going for.

The decision was difficult. In the end I had to get my son to make a call. 

The decals are lovely, as you would expect from Tamiya. I expect no issues.

BM F-4B Construction 5

BM F-4B Construction 4

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

go through the instructions with a hi-lighter and mark which parts are needed for option C.

That's for the tips. Now, suitably armed.

BM F-4B Construction 6

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

"how to" on building the Tamiya Phantom.

Maybe a "how-to" or a "not-how-to". We will see. If it is a typical Tamiya of late it should be 🥱 "... and now we are at the painting stage."

So, on that basis, I have put my favorite tools away.

BM F-4B Construction 7

Ray

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

So, on that basis, I have put my favorite tools away.

I don't think you will need anything that "heavy" with this build Ray.

I considered building a Chargers F-4B, there are four VF-161 aircraft on my Furball decal sheet, tail number 102 was tempting as it was the aircraft that scored the last MiG kill by the US Navy in the Vietnam War (a MiG-17 12/Jan/1973).

Have you obtained the Danny Coreman book on the navy F-4s, there is a lot of good information and some great detail shots in it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Have you obtained the Danny Coreman book on the navy F-4s, there is a lot of good information and some great detail shots in it.

Hi Bob,

Still deciding if I want to pull the trigger on that one. It would be an excellent resource.

Ray

4 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Thanks for the recommendation Bob

I bought mine from the DACO products site, I must point out that the the book and postage charges are rather expensive. 🙄

4 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I must point out that the the book and postage charges are rather expensive.

The real reason I have not purchased it yet. I am looking at another option at the moment acquiring it through my LHS that may save me a little in postage. It would be very useful for this build. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray_W said:

The real reason I have not purchased it yet. I am looking at another option at the moment acquiring it through my LHS that may save me a little in postage. It would be very useful for this build. 

I was looking to start a couple of Kinetic Starfighter builds and the DACO F-104 book and decals were highly recommended, they were not available thru big H or any UK supplier so I got them thru their site, all very nice but I had to lie down in a dark room after paying for them. :hypnotised: (three aircraft books + decals = two Tamiya F-4B's)

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Excellent choice, these Tamiya Phantoms are proving very popular!

I have come to really like this scheme and the decals do look lovely. 

Ray

I am into the research phase. That part I enjoy a lot and a good way to keep active with this project while I finish the current build.

First part of the project will be a mini project with the plan to enhance the Tamiya ejection seats without the use of aftermarket. Looking forward to that. A little bit influenced by my MiG-21 build earlier this year when I bought aftermarket painted the seat in the light colours and then decided it should be black, saved money and decided to improve the kit part.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_31

This time I am also going to scratch the harness.  

Any detailed info that you can share on the USN version of the Mk. H-7 would be great. I am across the oxygen bottle variation on USN aircraft and have the http://ejectionsite.com/usnh7.htm site as a reference. I have been picking up some other internet references. However, the BM members usually have other detailed stuff and some commentary on the variation that I am quite interested in. I have decided to pull the trigger and ordered Danny Coreman's book. 

Ray

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ray_W said:

This time I am also going to scratch the harness.  

I'll probably use resin seats in my Italeri/Esci F-4J but I'll be very keen to see how you harness up the Tamiya seats as that's my plan too when I get around to that one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dansk said:

The mig 21 kit part you improved looks better than the AM

Looking forward to your magic with the phantom

Hi Paul, 

Looking forward to this one, most probably will finish the current builds within two weeks and then into it. Mind you if Danny's book arrives I might just have to cut a little plastic beforehand.

Also, looking forward to your build. Expecting some very nicely executed weathering as usual. I am surprised you're not doing this one.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1241746

Ray

10 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Also, looking forward to your build. Expecting some very nicely executed weathering as usual. I am surprised you're not doing this one.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1241746

Oh my god i wish you wouldn’t have shown me that ray, now I think I have to build this its awesome!

I don’t want to hijack your thread but I found the other side of it…

spacer.png

Edited by Dansk
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

A mixed up machine, VF-51 screaming eagle and Marines markings?

And if you can't decide on a scheme and want a clean machine and a museum example you have the San Diego USS Midway F-4B display (BuNo 153030) with VF-21 livery on the port side and VF-161 on the starboard side.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

And if you can't decide on a scheme and want a clean machine and a museum example you have the San Diego USS Midway F-4B display (BuNo 153030) with VF-21 livery on the port side and VF-161 on the starboard side.

Except it's a F-4N with the ECM waveguides on the intakes.  fyi Hypersonic are making a conversion for the Tamiya F-4B to make it a F-4N. the Academy parts to make a F-4N are not very accurate so it;s the Hypersonic parts or wait for Tamiya to release their F-4N (the small pins on the intakes for the waveguides are a clue that they will make one) :smile:

• Like 1