Looks like a new model company has emerged

Rafbanter

11 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

..c'mon guys I realise you're a long way away ..but surely they are/should be talking to an 'international' audience .....

"Cromulent" originated with The Simpsons, you can't get too much more 'international audience' than that 😉

• Like 6

1 hour ago, k5054nz said:

"Cromulent" originated with The Simpsons, you can't get too much more 'international audience' than that 😉

As my son was happy to tell me. His knowledge of it blew me away. Yours too Zac. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2021 at 4:08 AM, NAVY870 said:

Hope they get a good run and make a tonne of coin.

Other than that I think I'll sit back and wait and see if they produce anything that fits into my limited sphere of interest whilst contemplating the small mountain of untouched model boxes taking up real estate in my shed.

On 8/20/2021 at 2:15 AM, Jo NZ said:

Richard is particularly erudite. He once described the effect that a bit of knowledge (on a certain WW1 aircraft) would have on the rivet counters as "they'd have conniptions" I had to look it up....

And no, I'm not going to say what it was. This forums servers would explode with the volume of traffic.

Topic drift offering sage advice that many should heed and education too. Plus an overload of irony. Finally big red letters - my cup runneth over.

I still say that whatever they produce good fortune to them, likely not my cup of tea but variety is good.

• Confused 1

On 20/08/2021 at 02:32, stevehnz said:

Conniptions is a good word, I've long been a fan of it, it sounds like what it means to my mind. As for Cromulent, now there is one to slip into a conversation, I'll have to work on it. :)

Steve.

Mike posted I was a cheeky rapscallion once. I really liked the inference of youth in that accusation despite that element of the description being somewhat lacking in accuracy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 8/19/2021 at 9:54 AM, Rafbanter said:

Transfers ... That's a name I haven't heard for a long, long time ...

Obi Wan Kenobi

I still call them transfers when I'm talking to myself, but decals when in conversation with anyone else.  Wouldn't want to be thought old fashioned, now, would I?

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 8/21/2021 at 7:00 AM, 593jones said:

I still call them transfers when I'm talking to myself, but decals when in conversation with anyone else.  Wouldn't want to be thought old fashioned, now, would I?

I was just thinking the other day "whatever happened to the term "transfers"?" (Grew up with 60's Airfix kits).

Still valid, IMHO, as it "transfers" the markings from the sheet to the model, especially when the very word "decal" is an abbreviation of a word derived from the French word "décalquer" - meaning to ‘transfer a tracing’.

Which also means that the "correct" pronunciation of "decal" should be the French accented "day-cal", not dekkel or dee-cal.

• Like 4

On 8/19/2021 at 12:27 AM, ckw said:

Side car

Railway car

I'm pretty sure car is derived from 'carriage' so in that context it makes sense - and rolls off the tongue more easily than 'horseless carriage', which is of course what they should properly be called :)

Cheers

Colin

Technically a carriage pulled by squirrels would be "horseless" (difficult to define something by all of the billions of things it is not), so motor-car or automobile makes a bit more sense, giving a clue as to how it *is* propelled rather than how it is not.

• Like 2

Ooh, a 1/32 Beaufighter would be nice... (drops wish on the ground quickly and turns to run, giggling like a little school girl, hits head on low hanging beam and falls to the ground, holding head and moaning in a pain. Mike runs up and gives a good swift kick to the 'ol bag o'jewels-)

With that out of the way, I wish them luck and all good fortune. Great to hear Son of WNW is coming about.

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

I don’t have a wish list (although I do have a WNW Snipe that I will probably never build as I’m just not a good enough modeller😭). BUT, and I really believe this, it takes a WNW standard to get all the others to raise their game so let’s hope that whatever Kotare produce, they push everyone else into improving quality, detail and accuracy for the benefit of all of us modellers - even the hackers and filers like me.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Ooh, a 1/32 Beaufighter would be nice... (drops wish on the ground quickly and turns to run, giggling like a little school girl, hits head on low hanging beam and falls to the ground, holding head and moaning in a pain. 

you’d better come through on that now and post the video for us to have a laugh

1/32 Beaufighter TFX in planning and on their project list over at Infiniti Models. Have a look at their Helldiver and you might get an idea of what to expect but I guess it won’t show till late 2022 poss even 2023?

Meantime I’m happy to await developments at this new company and wish them every success. The more gaps in the hobby filled the better

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JohnT said:

you’d better come through on that now and post the video for us to have a laugh

1/32 Beaufighter TFX in planning and on their project list over at Infiniti Models. Have a look at their Helldiver and you might get an idea of what to expect but I guess it won’t show till late 2022 poss even 2023?

Meantime I’m happy to await developments at this new company and wish them every success. The more gaps in the hobby filled the better

Closest I've got...

spacer.png

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Closest I've got...

spacer.png

I know this ship like the back of my hand... :owww:

On 21/08/2021 at 12:16, JohnT said:

Mike posted I was a cheeky rapscallion once. I really liked the inference of youth in that accusation despite that element of the description being somewhat lacking in accuracy. 

If I'm the Mike in question, there was NO inference of youth at all. I've met you! :tease:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Kia ora katoa kia kaha. Good luck to everybody at Kotare; be strong. I hope you manage to re-release some of those delightful Nuttywings 1/32 WW1 crates, especially a scrummy big twin or six, and the Hansa-Brandenburgs. And can you imagine what a Zeppelin-Staaken in 1/32 would be like? Linen overcast! Alles ist in Ordnung. Cheers very much.

3 hours ago, Maginot said:

Kia ora katoa kia kaha. Good luck to everybody at Kotare; be strong. I hope you manage to re-release some of those delightful Nuttywings 1/32 WW1 crates, especially a scrummy big twin or six, and the Hansa-Brandenburgs. And can you imagine what a Zeppelin-Staaken in 1/32 would be like? Linen overcast! Alles ist in Ordnung. Cheers very much.

Assuming that is Maori.....

Interesting how it looks Hawaiian,  with maybe some malay mixed in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Assuming that is Maori.....

Interesting how it looks Hawaiian,  with maybe some malay mixed in.

Looks like it. In Maori it means "may all live and be strong". A more usual greeting would be "Kia ora koutou kia kaha" - "may you live and be strong", which we hear every day on our lockdown updates....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

Looks like it. In Maori it means "may all live and be strong". A more usual greeting would be "Kia ora koutou kia kaha" - "may you live and be strong", which we hear every day on our lockdown updates....

OT but I'm just sitting here stunned there's another Whanganui-based Britmodeller!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, k5054nz said:

OT but I'm just sitting here stunned there's another Whanganui-based Britmodeller!

Only been here 9 months. Moved from Porirua... mainly into cars.

• Like 1

Has there been any indication of what tack they’ll be taking? WW1? WW2? ‘Tween wars? Modern? Scale?

Or are they just keeping us in suspenders suspense? ‘Cause it wont work - I refuse to look at their website more than twice a day.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Has there been any indication of what tack they’ll be taking? WW1? WW2? ‘Tween wars? Modern? Scale?

Or are they just keeping us in suspenders suspense? ‘Cause it wont work - I refuse to look at their website more than twice a day.

I'm still living in hope for Chris Amon Ferraris!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

WW1 and earlier was Peter Jackson’s obsession (and his and their downfall), so they should have a much freer rein than with WNW.

I’d expect to see more commercial stuff mixed in with esoteric.

• Like 1

I'd bet on First World War aircraft, with the background of the team.  WNW's problem was that Peter Jackson was picking the subjects...which meant monster multi-engine stash queens at the end.  Not the money-making single-seat types.  I seem to recall that the WNW staff was convinced they could make a profit if they had selection of the subjects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HMSLion said:

I'd bet on First World War aircraft, with the background of the team.  WNW's problem was that Peter Jackson was picking the subjects...which meant monster multi-engine stash queens at the end.  Not the money-making single-seat types.  I seem to recall that the WNW staff was convinced they could make a profit if they had selection of the subjects.

On the face of it I was about to agree, then did a quick count on the website (might have mis-counted a bit, I'm supposed to be cooking at the moment).

Single engined scouts: 83. Multi-engine stash queens , 6 (2 Gothas, 2 AEGs and 2 Felixstowes). Not counting the Lancasters and HP 0/400 because not released.

So, maybe not so much.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/08/2021 at 12:16, JohnT said:

I once referred to the mistress of a defendant in a witness statement as his paramour. 

Our lead barrister wanted me to take it out, but his junior argued it was a correct description and the judge would find it interesting.

(And if you've any experience with witness statements, you'll know how deadly dull they can be!)

But I would have liked to have got expectation into a statement, I must confess.

A judge did once refer to me as an Avuncular gentleman when summing up to the jury, I think he meant well.

Edited by Whofan